Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 23:57   #35821
Hbh

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
At a high rate of speed (>150), the XUV700 crossed the lane and struck the approaching bus. Fortunately, it was a bus.
What a horrible crash. It was unlucky for the car's passengers that it went under the bus but it was so lucky for the people in the bus. I can imagine a scenario where the initial impact could have lifted the car up and essentially pushed it inside the front window of the bus. Makes me thankful I had a slow car in my early driving days. Older and wiser now.
Hbh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:05   #35822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post

However, I would like to wait for some time and see what details come out before make a call on calling the car drivers irresponsible. On our roads, you never know what could have caused this accident other than high speed driving. 150KMPH is just near impossible to sustain on our roads unless you get a dead straight road with no traffic for a long stretch.
With new age vehicles, reaching 150KMPH doesn't take a runway. It is matter of 200 meters. From picture it looks like certainly a very high speed collision. What matters is differential speed. If both Bus and XUVs are at say 80kmph each at the time of impact, then it is like 160kmph relative velocity, very unfortunate incident. Only Silverline is it was a bus on the otherside..
manjubp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:17   #35823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
it was so lucky for the people in the bus.
People in the bus are lucky, but the owner of the bus may not be as much. And for the people, it would have been a mental trauma of having watched the horrific crash site with bodies lying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Only Silverline is it was a bus on the otherside..
Think of it like this, for the car guys, it was just another car, had they survived. Look at the staff of the bus, it must be the livelihood for them, including the owner (if it really was a genuine business, and not of some political guy). It certainly is going to have some temporary financial burden on them too.

Yeah, I got your point, that it was a bus and not some other smaller vehicles.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th August 2022 at 11:19.
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:19   #35824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post

At a high rate of speed (>150), the XUV700 crossed the lane and struck the approaching bus. Fortunately, it was a bus. All of the occupants, who were young adults in their 30s, perished, and the XUV's engine is out on the road. Due to the hit of the XUV700, the bus's front tyre was torn off.
You know, when the Scorpio was launched in 2002, it was christened to be a very unsafe vehicle owing to its sheer power and brutal acceleration. A lot of lives perished then. I feel the same phenomenon is being repeated with the XUV700. Every single one that I have seen on the road has being driven by maniacs. With great power comes great responsibility.
jeeva is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:56   #35825
BHPian

Not sure how this happened but this looked like someone had rear ended this car and the driver of this car rear ended an Innova and then turned over.
Not sure about the occupants but the cops were present. There was a huge traffic jam as well on the Hyd ORR.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fortuner3.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fortuner-2.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fortuner1.jpeg  

bigben is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 12:10   #35826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
150KMPH is just near impossible to sustain on our roads unless you get a dead straight road with no traffic for a long stretch. This looks like at 4-lane state highway and I don't think any sane person would think of hitting 150KMPH here unless drunk or something.
You will be surprised what Morons can achieve on our roads. I will give a small example. My house is located on a school road. Its inside the sector, it's not a small lane but a wide enough road for 2 cars to cross each other from opposite directions comfortably. We have couple of speed breakers so people won't overspeed on this road. The normal speed won't be more than 30-40 for any decent driver considering the road length and conditions and keeping in mind the school as well. Still, I see a lot of drivers doing 60-70 on this road even crossing hard on speed breakers. They just don't care about anything.

Like always I keep insisting that 110+ isn't sustainable or advisable on Indian roads, expressways or not. 90-100 is the sweet spot which is fast enough and gives you time to tackle unforeseen obstacles.
harry10 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 12:56   #35827
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV700 head on collision with a private bus. Accident near Dharapuram, Tirupur in Tamil Nadu.

Name:  20220805_125215.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  20220805_125217.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  20220805_125219.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  20220805_125222.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  121.3 KB

Link

The front axle of the bus had broken

Name:  20220805_143040.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  81.5 KB

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220805_143042.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220805_143045.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20220805_143048.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2022 at 18:22. Reason: Merged as requested
Venkatesh is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 13:25   #35828
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Perfect example for how star ratings are irrelevant on any roads if one doesn't have the road sense to drive according to one's circumstances. Feel sorry for the people who died but they were highly irresponsible and had very poor judgement driving at that speed.
They were all irresponsible?? Imagine you are a passenger and the driver acts reckless. Surely only the drivers actions deserves condemnation.
Ragul is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:32   #35829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
They were all irresponsible?? Imagine you are a passenger and the driver acts reckless. Surely only the drivers actions deserves condemnation.
Agree.
In this particular case, IF (a big IF-since this is not confirmed yet) the driver was under influence of alcohol, then, letting him/her drive and accompanying the driver for a ride would be nothing but irresponsible.
whitewing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:56   #35830
BHPian

Quote:
Yes and No. The Driver is the primary entity at fault but passengers do play a role here. Either they trust the driver too much and bet their life on him/her. Or they are part of the tribe that does unsafe high-speeds themselves too.
sunilch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 15:05   #35831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra XUV700 head on collision with a private bus. Accident near Dharapuram, Tirupur in Tamil Nadu.
This is a video in which Mr. Velusamy promotes the XUV 700 on a popular Tamil channel.

The video is in Tamil, and it was virally shared within tamilnadu. In that video, he categorically states that "regular people" can drive the car at 200 KMPH, and that the car will keep them safe.

Mr. Velusamy may not have meant that people can drive this cars on public roads at such speeds. However, such nuance is typically lost on the common public.

IMHO, M&M executives should be more careful during their promotions, and refrain from saying anything that could induce common public to engage in reckless behaviour.
buzzy_boy is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 15:45   #35832
BHPian

Looks like the XUV driver was testing the top speed, lost control, jumped the median and hit the bus head on. Even the bus is damaged heavily. May their soul rest in peace. I still believe that 100 kph is the best speed even on our unruly 6 lane highways.

Regards,
Rohan
rjalihal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 16:13   #35833
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know, I feel two ways about it. If I'm the passenger and driver drives rashly or is doing high speeds, I'd super pissed and ask that guy to drive slowly and sanely. We have no clue if everyone was asking him to go slow, but he was ignoring them.

It is also possible these passengers were asking him to go fast and encouraging reckless behavior. I'm not sure if it was a DUI, because half of the population drive like maniacs even without alcohol in their blood, especially in groups.

But why should we pass the judgment on the dead passengers? Drunk or not, it is obviously driver's fault.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 16:14   #35834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
The video is in Tamil, and it was virally shared within tamilnadu. In that video, he categorically states that "regular people" can drive the car at 200 KMPH, and that the car will keep them safe.
The engine is lying on the road separately. Wonder what the exec has to say now. I think everyone here knows that NCAP ratings are not license to be dumb behind the wheel.

Bad drivers (& yes bad passengers) will do what they want but yes, you are 100% correct that the execs should watch what they say in promotions in the heat of excitement.
asmr is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 16:25   #35835
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I think everyone here knows that NCAP ratings are not license to be dumb behind the wheel.
True. The teens in the car were all inebriated. I was unable to upload pictures of the deceased since the body was severely disfigured and split in half .

The whatsapp is overflowing with these photographs from yesterday while I'm in my hometown, which is quite near to the accident scene.

On the subject of driving and car safety, we don't receive a thorough education is my personal feeling.

Three private buses from Dharapuram were involved in various accidents on the same day, according to this meme in Tamil (latest whatsapp circulation)
Attached Images

Last edited by RGK : 5th August 2022 at 16:46. Reason: Photo addition
RGK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks