Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2009, 15:12   #3586
Senior - BHPian

Oh that's really graphic. Many taxi drivers work 24 hours. They even don't have a place to live, they sleep in the car itself. I know that there are such Indicab drivers in Bangalore. They drive continuously for days or weeks and then they drive back to their native place in TN or in rural KA or AP when they get some days off.
Old 26th September 2009, 15:42   #3587
Senior - BHPian

That looks miserable.
Really sad.
Old 26th September 2009, 15:49   #3588
BHPian

Thats a ghastly accident. Shocking way to die. I've encounteredche a cabby who had been driving for 20hrs on one of my airport drops. Unless stringent rules and implementation of those rules are done, such accidents may happen. Guess implementation is the biggest bug bear in our national psyche.
Old 26th September 2009, 15:53   #3589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Later I understood this car was returning back to office after dropping a IT employee and the driver seems to be driving the Car for continues 24hours operation.
The sleepy driver crashed the car into a lorry parked in the left lane and his head was completely cut on the spot.
The IT and BPO companies should impose strict rules that the contract transport companies to stop the drivers operating more than 12hours.
1) How can a driver be allowed to drive car for 24 hours ? Isn't it crime in the first place ? Not legal, but where is common sense ?

2) About the rule of 12 hours for max driving. I think 8 hours is sufficient more than sufficient. After 8 hours its just too much to concentrate properly. I have my self driven more than 400 km in a day and around 40 kms was in a A'bad city. I was tired very much. More than 8 hours duty in traffic mad cities like any of the 11 cities is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 26th September 2009, 18:03   #3590
Senior - BHPian

The last 5 posts pop a very important question. Should we hire these guys and endanger our lives and family ? I think not.
Old 26th September 2009, 18:12   #3591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
The last 5 posts pop a very important question. Should we hire these guys and endanger our lives and family ? I think not.
How will you guess whether the driver has slept or not? If he is a taxi / cab driver, maybe you can guess. But what about bus drivers in which we travel. How many times have we come across accidents which states that the driver must have dozed off at the wheel.

Unless there is a strict law implementation, all we can do is pray and move on.
Old 26th September 2009, 18:50   #3592
Senior - BHPian

I think the new Meru cabs do have regulations on how long a driver can operate in a single stretch. One small step but it helps.
Old 26th September 2009, 19:58   #3593
BHPian

Thats a very scary accident, May that Cab Drivers Soul RIP

According to our company Transport Rules Cab Driver's shift is just 8 Hrs, he gets 2-3 Pickups or drops in that 8 Hrs and they get enough time to sleep and take rest.
This rules was just started after facing few accidents by sleepy drivers, where both Cab driver and Employee had nightmare incidents on every trip.
Old 26th September 2009, 21:57   #3594
Senior - BHPian

Came back 2 hours back from a short drive to Srirangapatanam.

And this drive, even tough a short one, now holds the record for sighting the most number of accidents EVER on any of my drives.

#1: Dzire meets Santro. Slight shower and a hump. Guess Santro guy braked hard and Dzire did expect it. The Santro had the bumper bend heavily and a dent on the back door. The Dzire had a totally banged up front with the bonnet all raised up.

#2: NHC meets Benz (new variant). Absolutely no, not that any was visible from the other side of road on a quick glance, to the Benz boot, but the NHC had a mighty broken front! Police were there writing a report.

#3: The worst of the lot. Huge accident and total jam on both sides. A huge (HUGE) crowd of people who are parking their cars and coming out to see the accident vehicle! What the heck people! This is no circus!!!
As per on-lookers, a Qualis, KL registered, got hit on the Bangalore-Mysore side of road and jumped across to the Mysore-Bangalore side of road. Total wreck! The A-pillar has caved in. Not sure of the people, but all present were taken away by the Highway police vehicle, as seen in the photo below.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-100_4198.jpg

There were chappals throws around, but did not see any blood. Hope the people are fine. Did not take the photo of the Qualis, missed it. The Qualis, it seems, was hit by that KSRTC bus, which you can see in the photo.

#4: Tractor cross road without looking. Bang! Hits, I reckon a SUV. Did not see that SUV, but noticed a bull-guard. The tractors front wheel gone for toss. The police had to bring a JCB to lift annd pull the tractor of the road!

So, gentlemen, please be careful when you drive.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th September 2009 at 00:56. Reason: As requested/reported.
Old 28th September 2009, 01:17   #3595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
#4: Tractor cross road without looking. Bang! Hits, I reckon a SUV. Did not see that SUV, but noticed a bull-guard. The tractors front wheel gone for toss. The police had to bring a JCB to lift annd pull the tractor of the road!
I do date have not understood what the deal is with these village folks. They seem to think that they own the highway and can do as they please! Especially the tractors/mini vans etc they dont bother to see who is coming or not coming on the highway. So dangerous.
Other thing I notice a lot on the highway are two wheelers, who just turn first and then see if anyone is coming from behind. I mean what the !
Old 28th September 2009, 09:58   #3596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I do date have not understood what the deal is with these village folks. They seem to think that they own the highway and can do as they please! Especially the tractors/mini vans etc they dont bother to see who is coming or not coming on the highway. So dangerous.
Other thing I notice a lot on the highway are two wheelers, who just turn first and then see if anyone is coming from behind. I mean what the !
Not just 2 wheelers, and not just on the highways. My first fall off a bike was about 2 weeks ago and because of a 3 wheeler taking a half U turn and then looking behind. Didn't crash into the 3 wheeler but fell off the bike and bruised my elbow and ankle. He then had the audacity to call it my mistake. What happened next is probably beyond the scope of these forums, but I hope he looks back before turning around his POS next time.
Old 28th September 2009, 10:14   #3597
Senior - BHPian

The worst thing about these villagers is that the government sides with them too. The Mysore-Bangalore highway is a fantastic road but near Mandya, it has so many incredibly sharp small humps. Completely unmarked and the only way you can spot them in time is if you know about it. Honestly, you'll be at 100kph or so and BANG! Our car went crashing over two before Dad (who was driving) even realised what was happening. Now that we know, he keeps it under fifty near that area. Apparently, it is to deter people from going fast through a village. The village folks and local authorites laid these humps themselves which is why they are shockingly badly designed. The state government won't do anything either. Have they not heard of large marked speed breakers whose objectives are not rip out a car suspension?

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 28th September 2009 at 10:16.
Old 28th September 2009, 10:37   #3598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
Honda city crash on St.Mark's road last night.
The cop told me a drunk girl was driving it.
The car looked in a very bad shape . somehow the pics I took got deleted.
There was another girl in the car and both of them were badly hurt.(As told by the cop)

Anyone going through St.Mark's road can take a few pics and post them here. The crashed car is outside Bishop Cotton Girls School.
I saw the car...it was pretty badly smashed. St. Mark's Road is one-way, and this car seems to have broken the rule. There were several well-heeled (rich, elite, whatever) people around the car, making calls. Looks to me that the case got hushed up. Even I heard that it was a heavily sozzled woman behind the wheel.
Old 28th September 2009, 17:17   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I am sorry to say but we guys in cities are no better. We can pass the buck on taxi/rickshaw or tempo wala's, but we are actually a failed state when it comes to obedience on road.
I have jumped a speed braker at 120kmph near Tumkur, that too after paying toll tax. I was under the impression that road under toll tax on GC is free of potholes and humps. Life on Indian road sucks.
Old 28th September 2009, 18:23   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The worst thing ...... Now that we know, he keeps it under fifty near that area....
Thats the trick of driving on Indian highways. Wherever you see villages, regardless of fencing on both sides, try to be around 70-80 clicks, so you could stop if need be.

On the other side of it, villages were there before these freeways were made. And in many places, villages are split in half or two villages are disconnected for a few hundred meters, forcing people to walk to the other side.
In Europe, govt builds foot path or low level subways under such places, so people could cross. But, we don't want to spend money for the poor, so we seem not to care much about local people's movements.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 28th September 2009 at 18:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks