Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:02   #35986
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
How to not cross a road

More like how to not drive bike like a moron I hope they caught the bike rider and booked him for attempted murder ! He was distracted and hit her ! Hope the woman survived.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th August 2022 at 18:16. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
Akshay6988 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:05   #35987
Hbh

Quote:
How to not cross a road
Well, yes and no. No, because they were on the zebra crossing and as per the rules, vehicles are supposed to slow/stop for pedestrians. Yes, because this is not the ideal world or the ideal country to rely on that rule.

Also, not wanting to be 'that guy' but isn't this an infrastructure issue? Shouldn't there be a pedestrian bridge for such a big road instead of a zebra crossing? Who knows, maybe there is a bridge nearby and no one uses it.
Hbh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 23:21   #35988
BHPian

Quote:
How to not cross a road

https://Youtu.be/TQclZIEYjnU
Someone is using a zebra crossing and trying to cross the road with all the care (not rushing), but still they are at fault?

At least take cues from the opinion shared by official traffic police social media handle, before passing any judgement.
MT_Hyderabad is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 00:03   #35989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How to not cross a road
Every single driver who did not stop and allow that couple to cross the road here is complicit. The biker who cut across lanes and hit the lady must be particularly reviled. What terrible driving manners on display.

At the very least that trucker had the presence of mind to do the right thing.

Last edited by binand : 24th August 2022 at 00:05.
binand is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 00:15   #35990
BHPian

Yes, Biker is distracted in conversing with the Pillion. Truck driver should be appreciated for his presence of mind and swerving to the left, but at the same time, it could've been fatal for some other rider on to his left. Thankfully, only an Auto was brushed with. Don't think the Truck driver had any time to look on to his left side. End of the Day, he did save one life, who could've come under the wheels.

Another unrelated issue observed in Bangalore - Many times we see Two 2 wheeler riders speaking to each other while driving, unmindful of the traffic behind and on to their left or right. They are high potential accident creators.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 00:21   #35991
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Every single driver who did not stop and allow that couple to cross the road here is complicit. The biker who cut across lanes and hit the lady must be particularly reviled. What terrible driving manners on display.
Completely agree.

In this city, many bikers do not even need to be "distracted:" they just charge right on even when other traffic has stopped.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 05:15   #35992
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this happened around a peak time. Does Bangalore have a ‘No Truck/Heavy vehicles’ timings / rule inside city roads?
Old 24th August 2022, 06:09   #35993
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was about to write exactly this. There is a zebra crossing and a couple trying to cross it cautiously. Every single driver who didn’t stop for them is at fault.

Not only does it show lack of understanding of traffic rules (pedestrians crossing on a zebra crossing certainly warrant right of way) but also a complete lack of civic sense and empathy.

Quote:
At the very least that trucker had the presence of mind to do the right thing.
Full marks to the truck driver for his prompt evasive action at least (not that he was stopping either) and luck was on the side of the motorists on the left of the truck that the manoeuvre didn’t cause undue damage.

Last edited by Axe77 : 24th August 2022 at 06:11.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 07:11   #35994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Looks like the truck driver wasn't careful enough.
Similar incident at Minneapolis and this caused a huge traffic issue.

chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 10:29   #35995

Quote:
How to not cross a road

https://Youtu.be/TQclZIEYjnU
So many things to note here, both good and bad.

1. Cyberabad Police posting this can do a lot to rectify this situation - Get a pedestrian crossing signal for the stretch if it isn't already there. It is unsafe for anyone to cross the road, even on the zebra crossing the way the people did it here with all the oncoming vehicles. Before they point the finger at anyone else, they need to look at themselves.

2. The presence of mind of the lorry driver here to save her from certain death is commendable.

3. The above seemed in spite of the biker distracting the lorry driver.

4. This is more how not to ride a bike than how not to cross a road. If you follow just the biker from the beginning till the end of the video he makes 3-4 mistakes that are easily rectifiable if he was just paying attention.
Ram22693 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 10:34   #35996
BHPian

Isn't there supposed to be a traffic signal at every zebra crossing?
Old 24th August 2022, 11:20   #35997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Looks like this happened around a peak time. Does Bangalore have a ‘No Truck/Heavy vehicles’ timings / rule inside city roads?
There are four lanes and shoulder on the carriageway. I doubt there is any road in Bangalore that can boast of all that.

It is probably Hyderabad - looking at the auto livery and the fact that it is Cyberabad police posting this.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 12:04   #35998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
Also, not wanting to be 'that guy' but isn't this an infrastructure issue? Shouldn't there be a pedestrian bridge for such a big road instead of a zebra crossing? Who knows, maybe there is a bridge nearby and no one uses it.
I think it is high time all of us start being "that guy". Too much time and effort is spent arguing over whose fault led to a crash. I am not just talking about this case in particular. This human fault-finding practice is followed throughout the country. We tend to focus too much on human error and less on infrastructural issues. As you correctly pointed out, poor road design is a contributor to this crash. Although I haven't been to the place, the traffic volume indicates that an at-grade midblock pedestrian crossing should not be used at this particular location. I would guess that many such conflicts occur at this location daily.
An overhead crossing is much safer. This on-road pedestrian crossing should be removed entirely if there is indeed an overhead bridge available close by.

The police's youtube channel is also silent on this point. Only blaming the bike rider for this crash won't lead to any long-term solutions. The road developer is equally culpable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhokal View Post
Not at midblock pedestrian crossings as per the IRC.
Rohan265 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 13:49   #35999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are four lanes and shoulder on the carriageway. I doubt there is any road in Bangalore that can boast of all that.

It is probably Hyderabad - looking at the auto livery and the fact that it is Cyberabad police posting this.
You’re right. I missed the final comment in the video. And looking at the Bus, it’s definitely not Bangalore. Definitely seems like Hyderabad.
Old 24th August 2022, 15:10   #36000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Similar incident at Minneapolis and this caused a huge traffic issue.
Heaps of this stuff on Youtube. I think that watching trucks and vans loose roofs and/or cargo is a Recognised Way Of Wasting One's Life On The Internet.

I've done it myself a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhokal View Post
Noooo! Zebra crossings are at many places and sometimes on lesser roads. Making them all signalled would be a huge challenge and, with a little decency on the part of drivers, completely unnecessary.

In my mother country, pedestrian crossings are almost god-like in their authority. Lots of people may not stop for waiting pedestrians, but once a foot is on the crossing, everyone stops. It is considered serious not to. But crossings, there, if not controlled, are well marked, easily visible, with flashing orange lights at each side. Wide roads will also be divided, with pedestrian islands in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Too much time and effort is spent arguing over whose fault led to a crash. ... ... ... We tend to focus too much on human error and less on infrastructural issues.
Let me be the other guy and say, boldly, No! Every accident is down to human error. Which of us, for a moment, imagines that we are driving on superbly thought-out, well-designed roads? None of us. So it is not a surprise to any of us.

By all means, lobby for better infrastructure. How can cities be described as "smart" when we can't even get people safely across a road? I'm with you, feeling strongly about this stuff. There are other issues too, as per my comments above. How, in heavy traffic, was any vehicle supposed to know of the existence of the crossing?

But none of that detracts from the fault of the biker. Even if there had been no pedestrian crossing there, he mowed down a pedestrian.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks