Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 17:32   #36001
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Dashcam records wrong overtaking maneuver

A 38-year-old motorcyclist suffered injuries after crashing into a car on the Talegaon-Chakan road on Saturday. A camera on the dashboard of the car captured the accident, following which the Pimpri Chinchwad police registered a case of rash and negligent driving against the biker.

Source
JoshMachine is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 17:56   #36002
Distinguished - BHPian

A Volkswagen Virtus accident posted about a week ago by "The Creator" on You Tube. The car appears to be safe as it has crashed against a cement-concrete barrier and the passenger compartment is quite intact. The "A" pillars are in place and so is the windscreen and so are the front doors that are almost nearly unscathed. The two airbags have been deployed while the side and curtain airbags are not. The engine bay, transmission, driver and passenger seats (front), dashboard and the interior front passenger compartment and the rear floor AC vent console appear to have been damaged due to the impact. The condition of the occupants are not known though.

This has happened on a city road. It looks to be a 1.0 L TSI. But overall, VW affirms its non-compromising safe quality with the new launch !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th August 2022 at 17:59.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 18:08   #36003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But none of that detracts from the fault of the biker. Even if there had been no pedestrian crossing there, he mowed down a pedestrian.
Not denying that the biker is at fault. Just saying that he is not the only one at fault. A crash has many contributors. Most of the time we tend to focus on human faults and lose the bigger picture.

For e.g. The biker is at fault in this crash. Prosecuting him may prevent him from making the same error in judgment. However, tomorrow someone else will make the same error. It is like fighting against a hydra. How many people will we prosecute?

It has already been established that almost all crashes are caused by human errors. We neither have the manpower nor time to go after every driver that makes judgment errors. Whereas, we may get long-term solutions if we start fixing the infrastructural issues. In this case, the overall system should have denied any possibility of conflict between the biker and pedestrian.
Unfortunately, considering how the crash is depicted on the police's youtube channel, I am guessing that the biker will be charged and everything else will remain the same at that spot.
Rohan265 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 18:15   #36004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A Volkswagen Virtus accident posted about a week ago by "The Creator" on You Tube.

The condition of both the front seats is questionable when compared to the exterior damage and the rest of the cabin.
Hemi6.2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 18:41   #36005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi6.2 View Post
The condition of both the front seats is questionable when compared to the exterior damage and the rest of the cabin.

This is exactly what happens when the rear passengers don't belt up. They become a projectile which can end up killing the front seat occupants too. Another grim reminder to belt up even in the city

Related video.
Turbohead is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 18:43   #36006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Unfortunately, considering how the crash is depicted on the police's Youtube channel, I am guessing that the biker will be charged and everything else will remain the same at that spot.
Knowing Hyderabad not only will there be no alterations from a broader perspective to limit these instances in the future rather they will simply place a set of lumps on the road (Hyderabad's modification or rather desecration of rumble strips).

This is what I always feel seeing accidents happen so often. The worst bit is there is probably a metro station very nearby where people can cross the road overhead but unfortunately no body ever practices this atleast in Hyderabad. They will even choose to cross really wide roads with fast moving traffic right underneath an overhead crossing constructed specifically for pedestrians. Definitely the only solution to such issues is ensuring that sensible infrastructure is in place and getting Tollywood actors to make some public service information type of advertisements. That is the only way to educate already uneducated souls who are handed out driving licences like aadhar cards.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 20:22   #36007
Distinguished - BHPian

The man crossing the road, didn't even bother to look at both the sides before crossing. He simply walked out on the road and the poor scooter guy had less than adequate braking distance to save him, a pro rider would have accelerated & swerved to avoid this accident, but everyone is not a pro.

I & my dad parked our car to help both the guys. The guy crossing the road escaped with minor injuries, but the scooter guy badly fractured his left hand. It will require operative intervention. My dad being a doctor gave him the basic first aid and a painkiller at that point for some temporary relief & sent him to the local govt hospital.

The video clip from my car's dashcam-

Last edited by Samba : 24th August 2022 at 20:32.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 22:44   #36008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Dashcam records wrong overtaking maneuver

A 38-year-old motorcyclist suffered injuries after crashing into a car on the Talegaon-Chakan road on Saturday
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=EvHOLMKzsOY
The biker was at fault, but the car driver endangered the life of his car's occupants by not slowing down and moving to the left.
He just kept going and going. Even if the biker gets killed for his mistake, your car will also get a few dents on impact. When there is space on the left, move left and save yourself, even if you don't care about the bikers life. The video on this site shows that there was space. The biker was visible from quite a distance, but the car kept going.

https://hindi.maxmaharashtra.com/new...ootage-1161445
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 00:05   #36009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The biker was at fault, but the car driver endangered the life of his car's occupants by not slowing down and moving to the left.
He just kept going and going. Even if the biker gets killed for his mistake, your car will also get a few dents on impact. When there is space on the left, move left and save yourself, even if you don't care about the bikers life. The video on this site shows that there was space. The biker was visible from quite a distance, but the car kept going.

https://hindi.maxmaharashtra.com/new...ootage-1161445
Yes, I agree. There was enough space on the left, plus he could have slowed down/braked too. The biker is lucky to be alive and not thrown under the truck.

On another note, I was bullied in a residential lane when I was overtaking a slow moving auto rickshaw by a Polo driver. There was enough gap for me to safely but the Polo guy intentionally moved to the right in my lane just to piss me off. Have this on my dash cam too.
Old 25th August 2022, 00:06   #36010
BHPian

Reading comments about how pedestrians should use a nearby overhead bridge instead of crossing the road is very telling of how regressive and unsound our approach to urban mobility is. Look at any country where traffic fatalities are few, and you will notice one thing in common: regard for pedestrians. If any person even puts one foot on the road in New York City, all the cars stop, and this is true irrespective of whether the pedestrian had a green signal to walk or not, and also irrespective of whether the pedestrian is crossing on the marked zebra crossing or somewhere else. If you walk across a road when you are not supposed to, a driver might glare or honk, but they will NEVER try to drive past you or in front of you. This is true in every city, big or small, in Western Europe and most parts of the US, Australia, Japan etc. Pedestrians and their right of way is sacred because they are the most vulnerable body on the road. And they are de facto allowed to cross the road almost anywhere, and our city planning should create more crossing points and zebra markings. Forcing people to use a bridge means you are creating a huge issue for older people, disabled people, and in general discouraging walking.

Precisely because walking is so hard and unpleasant in our cities do people buy scooters and bikes in droves, which causes endless, unnecessary congestion and pollution. I personally have very little faith in our general public awareness or will to do anything about walkability, but I cannot stand pedestrians getting mowed down by motorists and then being told that they are at fault. A big part of the problem is that most people who pontificate about how pedestrians should behave, how they should walk another kilometre to take an over-bridge etc. have never actually tried to walk from point A to point B in any of our cities. They only drive. They do not realise that most people don't have cars. Having to go an extra kilometre on foot is not the same as having to go an extra kilometre in a car. City planners in other countries know this, and design roads and crossings in such a way that cars take the longer route, and walkers the shortest. We are so wrong-headed that we preach the opposite here.

Suppose you visit London or Paris or New York from India. You check into your hotel and you want to go sight-seeing. If the Guggenheim Museum or Eiffel Tower are 2-3km away from your hotel, you realise that you can either take the subway or metro for one stop or walk the distance. Whatever you choose to do, you may notice yourself walking on wide sidewalk next to a park or a row of shops, and seeing hundreds of other walkers, older perople and kids, people sipping on their coffees or listening to music or talking on the phone and looking inside the shop windows, you may realise that everyone is relatively relaxed, as nobody is even slightly worried about being hit by a car. This is because all motorists are forced to move at a snail's pace and be ever watchful of pedestrians, the motor-able part of the road is far less wide than the walkable part, and this makes for a very rich and pleasant experience. There is no road within the city as wide as we see in the video from Hyderabad, as such roads belong outside the cities, not within them. The primary mode of transport encouraged within cities is walking.

This has been historically true of Indian cities, if you think of the old quarters of Lucknow or Delhi or Hyderabad, the infinitely rich variety of human life and commercial activity you may encounter as you take a leisurely stroll. We may have gotten cars and motorcycles, but we have not realised how to integrate them into our lives or our cities. Can one even imagine the possibility of a leisurely stroll anywhere in any Indian city? What people are restricted to is walking within their guarded, gated complexes, in circles, trying to accomplish daily steps targets, but with nothing to look at, nowhere to go. It's beyond sad. Even Sri Lanka and Nepal are better than us at this. Almost every city I visit in India, I see road widening (road = motorable road) or flyover construction, further and further constricting the space to walk and breathe freely, encouraging only the use of cars and motorcycles, slowly choking our cities. And the irony is that this kind of thing is seen as progress and development, as if an increase in car sales or car usage is what progress means.

PS: I realise it's a rant, but I couldn't bear to look at that video of the couple trying to cross the road, with every motorist utterly uncaring, as if blind to their existence. You may not share my view and that's fine, nothing I can do about it.

Last edited by karanddd : 25th August 2022 at 00:09.
karanddd is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 10:50   #36011
PAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
he is not the only one at fault. A crash has many contributors.

However, tomorrow someone else will make the same error. It is like fighting against a hydra. How many people will we prosecute?
He (Bike Rider) is only at fault in this case, we cant expect each and every road to be a 4 laned highways and better sense should prevail with the Driver/Rider while on such roads. Its not necessary to get punished for learning, we all can always learn from other's mistakes.

The way he cut across the lane was clear cut nuisance. What, if the incident was not recorded on dash cam ? would the passer by and Law Enforcement have spared the car driver ? Why and how long should others face harassments and punishments for others mistakes? what if it was not car but some other bike he had ran into ?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th August 2022 at 10:51. Reason: Quote content trimmed
PAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 13:19   #36012
Senior - BHPian

Biker crashes into a KSRTC bus that is taking a right into the Mavelikara (KL) bus-stand.
The wet road should have made the biker slow down from normal speeds as braking & stability is affected.
Not clear from the video if the bus driver indicated his intention to turn using turn-indicator, but being the more vulnerable party,
the biker should have been more careful. Helmet flew off in the impact - not strapped tightly.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th August 2022 at 13:25.
supremeBaleno is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 16:56   #36013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Biker crashes into a KSRTC bus that is taking a right into the Mavelikara (KL) bus-stand.
The wet road should have made the biker slow down from normal speeds as braking & stability is affected.
Not clear from the video if the bus driver indicated his intention to turn using turn-indicator, but being the more vulnerable party,
the biker should have been more careful. Helmet flew off in the impact - not strapped tightly.
Ouch! That was hurtful to watch

I have had my experiences with KSRTC buses turning into bus stands without indicators. Not sure if that's the case here. Feel the bus even if he had the indicator on should have slowed a bit since he would have seen the biker approaching on the other lane.

Biker yes, people on the road need to understand simple logic. When it rains you slow down. You are not going to stop/slow down as you would otherwise do on a dry road. Less said about unstrapped helmets the better!

Hope he survived. We just take so many things for granted and put too much faith on others on road.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 17:43   #36014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not clear from the video if the bus driver indicated his intention to turn using turn-indicator,
Unless he has given a hand signal, which is unlikely due to rain and window shutters down, it is very difficult that the biker noticed the indicator light if at all it was turned ON. Given that it is KSRTC, very unlikely any signal is being given. While biker should have been cautious, this is just another example of poor driving of KSRTC buses.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 18:12   #36015
BHPian

Quote:
I was a victim of my stupidity in rains around 8 years ago. I was riding on my bike behind a SUV (don't remember the exact model but most probably a Scorpio). It was raining heavily and in hindsight my speed was higher than it should have been for that weather (around 30 Kmph) and distance between me and the SUV was also less than ideal. The SUV stopped suddenly and I applied the brakes. The bike skidded and part of it went under the SUV. Thankfully I had a helmet on, as my head bounced on the road about 3 times. I also had heavy bruising on both of my legs. That accident taught me the lesson of never riding without helmet and also to be mindful of the road conditions be it rain or fog.
NG_EV is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed