Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 23:25   #3601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
I am sorry to say but we guys in cities are no better. We can pass the buck on taxi/rickshaw or tempo wala's, but we are actually a failed state when it comes to obedience on road.
I have jumped a speed braker at 120kmph near Tumkur, that too after paying toll tax. I was under the impression that road under toll tax on GC is free of potholes and humps. Life on Indian road sucks.
WOW you tried that at 120 KMPH, no offense mate 120 KMPH is way above the legal speed limit, and you are blaming the system.
I don't bother what I do but all others should follow the rule..........that's really COOL
Old 28th September 2009, 23:39   #3602
Senior - BHPian

lol you should also drive through the roads in tamil nadu where people dont understand the concept of 4 lanes.
im going around 140 on a 4 lane highway on the faster track out of no where from the curve comes a TVS guy head on!!!
i had to try really hard to get away from him!!
many people were doing the same on those roads.
Old 29th September 2009, 00:43   #3603
Distinguished - BHPian

Again... you were heading into a curve that you couldn't see around at that speed? It could have been a hole in the road, a cow, a broken-down vehicle... anything. I think that the idea is to drive at a speed that gives you the possibility of stopping within your visibility.

As to the idiot coming the other way...
Old 29th September 2009, 09:18   #3604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
lol you should also drive through the roads in tamil nadu where people dont understand the concept of 4 lanes.
im going around 140 on a 4 lane highway on the faster track out of no where from the curve comes a TVS guy head on!!!
Vinay no hard feelings buddy. Before blaming that guy on TVS (who doesnot have road sense), plese look at what you have done. You were doing 140 on a road with a speed imit of 70 - 80 that too on a curve, Can this be justified.
Old 29th September 2009, 09:38   #3605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
140 on any indian road is dangerous. What if it was a truck or a bus? Very easily could have been. You might not have been sitting here and posting on the forum. Sometimes traffic is diverted on the other side of a divided road and one doesn't know about it till you see someone coming on your side of the road (thanks to no signs).
Old 29th September 2009, 11:11   #3606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Thats the trick of driving on Indian highways. Wherever you see villages, regardless of fencing on both sides, try to be around 70-80 clicks, so you could stop if need be.

On the other side of it, villages were there before these freeways were made. And in many places, villages are split in half or two villages are disconnected for a few hundred meters, forcing people to walk to the other side.
In Europe, govt builds foot path or low level subways under such places, so people could cross. But, we don't want to spend money for the poor, so we seem not to care much about local people's movements.
Actually, in some cases, people dont use the Skywalks constructed and still cross the road under that skywalk. Here near Kengeri on the Bangalore-Mysore highway, the barricades are broken and people cross the road right under the skywalk. Infact, everywhere in bangalore, the same thing. Jaynagar, Residency Road, the subways and skywalks are not being used at all.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:23   #3607
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Infact, everywhere in bangalore, the same thing. Jaynagar, Residency Road, the subways and skywalks are not being used at all.
+ 1.

Old Airport Road. Educated, literate and well travelled folks from elite offices in Diamond District and INTEL don't use the skywalk just off Leela Palace.

Lunch time and evenings when its time to leave there is a mad rush to cross the road and only a handful use the skywalk.

And to add insult to injury there are 2 chaps stopping traffic for the morons from these locations to help them cross the road right infront of Diamond District.

Also coming to INTEL and Diamond District folks. I can't understand why the people from here cannot walk 100 meters to catch an autorichshaw at the autorichshaw stand?? It defeats all logic to stop an Auto on this narrow, really busy road and inconvience a lot of people.

The employees from INTEL are worse, they know there is a hospital next to them but still they would like to catch Auto's infront of their office. So the scum of the Autodrivers park their Auto's for the lazy INTEL folks right in front of thier gates - oh not infront of the gates that's for the INTEL employees to get in and out, so they leave that clear and park all around.

I have seen numerous times cars not able to take an U- Turn because of the long line of autorichshaws parked there.

This happens mostly in the evenings.

Someone in INTEL old airport road, can you guys ask the rest of your colleagues to walk towards your left when you come out and make your way to the autorickshaw stand right next to the bus stop. And its a downward slope too so the really stressfull walk of 100 meters uptill there won't be too tough for you guys.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:39   #3608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
... Here near Kengeri on the Bangalore-Mysore highway, the barricades are broken and people cross the road right under the skywalk. ...
On the curve at Kengeri, when coming from Mysore side towards Bangalore, just after the bus stop, you will find the barricades broken and bend into the road! If anyone is driving close to the divider, and is a tall vehicle, BANG!
Old 29th September 2009, 12:31   #3609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
WOW you tried that at 120 KMPH, no offense mate 120 KMPH is way above the legal speed limit, and you are blaming the system.
I don't bother what I do but all others should follow the rule..........that's really COOL
I didn't notice any speed limit nor any hump warnings. Yes there are places where speed limits are mentioned, but this didn't have any. Plus isn't the GC meant to reduce travel time between metros. Do you think you can cover 1000 kms ( bangalore- mumbai ) in one day, travelling ay 60. What is the whole idea of spending crores of rupees on infrastructure, when we can't reduce the travel time, and 120 is a distant reallity.

Do you think 75 Mph is illegal every where? I doubt.

Last edited by fi.robin : 29th September 2009 at 12:32.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:49   #3610
BHPian

I dont want to start an argument, but sign or no sign there is a national speed limit. Maybe someone could confirm what it is!! I think its 80 Kmph.

Highways and motorways are meant to reduce travel times, but not by increasing speeds, but the average speed!!

In Europe, most countries, have a national speed limit of 65-75MPH, except on the Autobhan. Even on there if you have an accident above the general speed limit, you can get prosecuted.

Anyways, are'nt speed bumps there for a reason? Well most times atleast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
I didn't notice any speed limit nor any hump warnings. Yes there are places where speed limits are mentioned, but this didn't have any. Plus isn't the GC meant to reduce travel time between metros. Do you think you can cover 1000 kms ( bangalore- mumbai ) in one day, travelling ay 60. What is the whole idea of spending crores of rupees on infrastructure, when we can't reduce the travel time, and 120 is a distant reallity.

Do you think 75 Mph is illegal every where? I doubt.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:51   #3611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
I dont want to start an argument, but sign or no sign there is a national speed limit. Maybe someone could confirm what it is!! I think its 80 Kmph.
Its' 100 Kmph and they increased this recently may be 1 year back
Old 29th September 2009, 14:26   #3612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
And I can bet that nearly everyone here has gone above 100 kph at some point. Heck, half the ownership threads talk at some point about achieving a top speed which is well above 100.
Old 29th September 2009, 14:33   #3613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
100!?! I seriously doubt that buddy. Not on our highways.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:06   #3614
Team-BHP Support

City speed limits vary between 40-60, peripheral main roads in cities are restricted to 80 and so are the highways. Dont think legal limit of 100 or above is put up at any place in India. Express way users can maybe confirm?
Old 29th September 2009, 15:13   #3615
BHPian

I totally agree with this. +1 to this. We always say education brings common sense and a sense of responsibility but here people who are higly educated act like morons on the road, honking, overtaking from the wrong side dangerously and without basic sense.

Note from Team BHP Support:

Please do not quote an entire long post when you reply. It becomes very difficult for other members to read.

Last edited by Dippy : 29th September 2009 at 16:59. Reason: See note in post

Most Viewed