Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2022, 22:42   #36166
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Common sense, sensible driving in slower speeds would have averted the accident. Electronic stability control could have brought the SUV under control.
Don’t think electronic aids can conquer crude suspension and the law of physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
The hard rubber compound Or old tyres of the scorpio caused this accident.
Stickiness which the tyres provides in turns was missing here.

Did you exactly examine the tyres and verify this?

Classic case of inexperience , too much speed, over correction of the steering wheel on a crude chassis which forced it into a tank slapped and a loss of control.
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 23:36   #36167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
The hard rubber compound Or old tyres of the scorpio caused this accident.
Nothing caused that accident other than the driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Classic case of inexperience , too much speed, over correction of the steering wheel on a crude chassis which forced it into a tank slapped and a loss of control.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 04:33   #36168
Senior - BHPian

The other day I found a new failure mode in my Jazz:

It was raining and I crossed the parking lot to get into the car. My shoes were wet.

When I hit the brakes after sometime, my foot slid off the brake and hit the accelerator. The car jumped forward but I could recover fast enough that I did not hit anything. It was bad that my Jazz is an automatic and hence reacted immediately. The good thing was that it was a Jazz automatic and hence the famous rubber band effect meant that it resulted mostly in just racing the engine!

Could have been worse with a lot more serious consequences.

Please be careful when you get into the car while it is wet outside. I think both the shoe & the pedal being wet is the root cause for this proto-accident.

I always wondered how anyone with some experience can "hit the accelerator instead of the brakes". This is one way.

Last edited by sridhu : 11th September 2022 at 04:37.
sridhu is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 06:12   #36169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
The other day I found a new failure mode in my Jazz:

It was raining and I crossed the parking lot to get into the car. My shoes were wet.

When I hit the brakes after sometime, my foot slid off the brake and hit the accelerator. The car jumped forward but I could recover fast enough that I did not hit anything.
Its possible that your floor mat has something to do with it. Some types of rubber mats or even paper covers (the kind used by service centres ) are often culprits. I hate the paper covers as they always seem to foul my foot ergonomics. I always get them removed from the drivers footwell.
fhdowntheline is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 06:52   #36170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Its possible that your floor mat has something to do with it.

You are correct.

However in this case it was due to the foot slipping because of wetness.
Old 11th September 2022, 11:49   #36171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

Please be careful when you get into the car while it is wet outside. I think both the shoe & the pedal being wet is the root cause for this proto-accident.

I always wondered how anyone with some experience can "hit the accelerator instead of the brakes". This is one way.
This is why I keep a cloth in the side pocket. Once I am inside the car I gently give the shoes a wipe so they won't slip while driving. I also judiciously check the floor mat if they are tangling with accelerator or brakes. I had an experience like yours years back so I do understand the fright you have experienced. In my case too no harm was done luckily.
harry10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 20:03   #36172
BHPian

Suddently the auto on left starts moving. Not sure what happened

Original video uploader: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...TIeQ9V&__cft__

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 11th September 2022 at 20:10.
Sarvodaya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 22:50   #36173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Common sense, sensible driving in slower speeds would have averted the accident. Electronic stability control could have brought the SUV under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Don’t think electronic aids can conquer crude suspension and the law of physics.
Definitely an accident that could have been prevented by ESP, irrespective of the suspension, etc. As soon as the vehicle went into a slide, ESP would have cut power and braked the particular wheel to counter the spin.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 01:30   #36174
BHPian

I saw 2 accidents involving 3 KSRTC buses en route to Thekkady.
The first one involved a KSRTC and a Milk Tanker. The KSRTC was overtaking a vehicle on the wrong side of a narrow road and collided head-on with the tanker.
In the second incident, it was a similar driver error but this time 2 KSRTC buses were involved in a head-on collision.
KSRTC bus drivers are amongst the most reckless drivers in Kerala(competing with auto drivers). They have no consideration for others on road.
Just a few days back, a KSRTC bus hit 2 children and left without stopping. The driver's license was suspended for 1 month as a punishment.

There are several KSRTC accidents happening around all over the state every day which go unreported as well. For instance, the accident in the video I uploaded from my dashcam which involved 2 KSRTC buses has not been covered by any media.
sac23 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 07:58   #36175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Suddently the auto on left starts moving. Not sure what happened
Seems like the driver had left the auto engine running and for some freaky reason, the gear got engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac23 View Post
I saw 2 accidents involving 3 KSRTC buses en route to Thekkady.

There are several KSRTC accidents happening around all over the state every day which go unreported as well. For instance, the accident in the video I uploaded from my dashcam which involved 2 KSRTC buses has not been covered by any media.
What is it about Kerala roads that makes the bus drivers there go crazy? Apart from the road width constraints due to geography, do they have some sort of incentive in trying to be aggressive on the road? Some of the videos I have seen literally make me jump out of my seat. And I don't mean to pick on Kerala alone. MTC Buses in Chennai are in a different category of rash driving, as are many of the government & private buses on the busier inter-city bus routes.

I used to travel extensively by bus during my college days and a bit after that. However I don't think I can work up the courage these days!

Last edited by asmr : 12th September 2022 at 07:59. Reason: Avoiding multiple b2b posts
asmr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 10:07   #36176
BHPian

Quote:
A 19 year old youth from Kerala lost his life yesterday when his SUV toppled during an overtaking gone wrong in Ooty, Tamilnadu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nothing caused that accident other than the driver.
No other way to put it! As per the news report, there were 9 people in the Scorpio, all of them students of a college near Palakkad.

1. 9 people in a vehicle: overloading
2. Ageing vehicle: questionable maintenance
3. Unstable vehicle: vehicle known for body roll/ lack of stability/ no ABS, ESP
4. 19 year old driver: Inexperience
5. Rash overtake

You have all the ingredients for a mishap here. From the video, the overtake isn't that extreme, he probably could have pulled it off safely in a sedan. But then, it takes experience to know that you need different driving styles for different vehicle classes.
GeneralJazz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:01   #36177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
What is it about Kerala roads that makes the bus drivers there go crazy? Apart from the road width constraints due to geography, do they have some sort of incentive in trying to be aggressive on the road?
The KSRTC drivers have a 'devil may care' attitude mostly since they are not held liable for any accidents.
They tried to kill me several times while I was riding my motorcycle.
Even if there is a death it'll be classified as an accidental death and they might get their driving license suspended for a while at max. On Feb 2022, a KSRTC bus driver intentionally hit 2 bikers due to road rage and killed them. What happened to that driver? He was arrested back then and left on bail. No updates since.

Kerala government is also to blame for having so many high-speed services like Super Fast, Express, Minnal, etc, even after knowing we have the worst roads in India (Which State has the worst Highways in India?)

There are also several moronic social media pages by jobless people that encourage KSRTC by putting their dangerous driving videos with cringe music and movie dialogues as if it's something heroic. This has lately been observed with private buses and ambulances as well!
sac23 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:33   #36178
BHPian

My Dashcam recorded a freak accident, the luggage being carried by the pillion rider brushed the lady's handle, leading to a fall. I had brake hard as she was too close to my car.

Luckily she wasn't injured, and the large vehicles were at a distance on a busy Pune road (Vimanagar-Aga Khan road Stretch) during the evening rush.

smileline is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:25   #36179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
What is it about Kerala roads that makes the bus drivers there go crazy? ... ... ... MTC Buses in Chennai are in a different category of rash driving, as are many of the government & private buses on the busier inter-city bus routes.
I do not excuse in any way bus drivers that pretend they are driving a bike, but isn't it true that, with all the increasing pressures of the roads, they are still driving to schedules and targets that were set years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
My Dashcam recorded a freak accident, the luggage being carried by the pillion rider brushed the lady's handle, leading to a fall. I had brake hard as she was too close to my car.
No, this is absolutely not a freak accident.

why-oh-why-oh-why are bikers so intent on intimacy? That overtaking biker should have left several feet between him and the woman he is overtaking. This senseless, stupid, dangerous ignorance of a safe gap is one of the most frustrating things to be seen almost all the time on the roads.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 17:38   #36180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, this is absolutely not a freak accident.

why-oh-why-oh-why are bikers so intent on intimacy? That overtaking biker should have left several feet between him and the woman he is overtaking. s.
Our bikers are programmed to think, if the handlebar squeezes through, the rest will follow without issues. The pillion probably adjusted the bag because of fatigue, or they were careless from the get go.

A good luggage rack, where one can ensure things are exactly in line with the bike is a great investment. No issues of fatigue, no surprises.

Several feet of gap is wishful thinking on our roads. That, would certainly help though.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks