Old 17th September 2022, 11:47   #36241
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A freak accident near Buldhana
This was way worse

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...-two-dead.html

"Two people died after iron sheets fell off of a moving lorry in Thrissur, Kerala"
Old 17th September 2022, 15:30   #36242
BHPian

Nothing about the above two incidents are 'freak'. Securing doors or covers or the load is a solved design problem and the driver carries some responsibilities to ensure that in their vehicles. The incidents are gross negligence.

Number of trucks on our roads with unsecured load is just too many for this to be called 'freak'.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 17th September 2022 at 15:31.
Yieldway17 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 15:47   #36243
BHPian

Quote:
A freak accident near Buldhana, West Central India, that claimed the limbs of two road users. The culprit was a Maharashtra State Transport bus whose driver had left open the tool box gate, as far as I could gather from the news report.
While driving with this metal gate open, two men on the traffic who came in its way got their hands chopped off. The driver was blissfully moving ahead even after the first victim's hand got chopped off.

A really sad commentary of the times when those not at fault can suffer grievous injuries.

Attachment 2358916
It is precisely for this reason that I am wary of riding besides luxury buses, including Volvos. All of them have their luggage compartment doors swing open out and up aided by hydraulic struts. It's only a matter of time before one of them opens in motion causing grief to unsuspecting road users. It is high time the luggage compartment doors slide open up as is the case in other countries.
rajivr1612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 15:48   #36244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Nothing about the above two incidents are 'freak'. ..

Beloved of the media (but I don't see it as recently, which is good) this "freak accident" should be saved for collisions with aircraft parts falling from the sky. Hmmm, maybe the recent post of the biker getting conked on the head by the pole he had just hit might be a contender! All else is human error and/or foreseeable consequence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
It is precisely for this reason that I am wary of riding besides luxury buses, including Volvos. All of them have their luggage compartment doors swing open out and up aided by hydraulic struts. It's only a matter of time before one of them opens in motion causing grief to unsuspecting road users. It is high time the luggage compartment doors slide open up as is the case in other countries.
Thanks! I was unaware of this risk.

I was also unaware of sliding luggage compartment doors. But maybe I just haven't looked for over two decades.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th September 2022 at 15:51.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 15:49   #36245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

When a vehicle in front of you swerves, follow it. There is something in front they are trying to avoid that you can't see.
I agree that the vehicle in front has best view and has seen something dangerous and hence swerving. But I disagree that the following vehicle also should swerve. The best rule is to apply brake and be ready to stop in a short distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Perhaps the thumb rule needs to be - two car lengths when following a car, two bus lengths when following a bus, two articulated truck lengths when following an articulated truck...
The best rule is to allow sufficient distance so that at worst if we end up in an accident it is a fender bender IMHO. Obviously this distance will increase in highways and reduce in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Then I have to start from Kanyakumari
The moment we leave just a scooter distance from the vehicle in front, an opportunist car driver finds it suitable enough to nosedive in it.
In city traffic where two wheeler riders drive crazily, I depend on the front and rear parking sensors in my car, travel with in a lane and not swerve and maintain reasonable speed as per traffic conditions. If some one is traveling with me, I task that person to watch the traffic as well on their side and warn me of any potential issue. And beyond what I can reasonably do trust in god that everything will be OK and drive on.
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 17:22   #36246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post

Has happened in Pune before.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62704635.cms

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 17th September 2022 at 17:23.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 17:29   #36247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
:

I was also unaware of sliding luggage compartment doors. But maybe I just haven't looked for over two decades.
This is how it is supposed to open for safety

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20220917172506147.png

and not like this, which unfortunately most of buses in India have.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20220917172641901.png

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 17th September 2022 at 17:38.
rajivr1612 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 17:52   #36248
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
A freak accident near Buldhana, West Central India, that claimed the limbs of two road users. The culprit was a Maharashtra State Transport bus whose driver had left open the tool box gate, as far as I could gather from the news report.
I just overtook an oil tanker on the Kargil-Leh highway a few days back with the toolbox door wide open. Slowed down in front and stopped him and made him fix it.
Ragul is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 18:30   #36249
BHPian

Accident at Chikballapura, in today's news. Few people lost their lives.
Skip 15 seconds.

ramki.grandhi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 22:22   #36250
BHPian

Amongst all the depressing news on this thread.

An NGO called SaveLIFE Foundation has done a scientific study of overall safety of the Karla Phata intersection on old Pune Mumbai highway. And implemented an improvement plan:

https://savelifefoundation.org/wp-co...ull_report.pdf

Impressive stuff given the extreme callousness with regards to safety on our roadways.

If some team-bhpians use this stretch, please do share your views and photos. We should think if we can collaborate more deeply as road users with such efforts.

They plan to improve multiple high-risk intersections all over India. More details in the pdf and their website.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with this organization.
dust-n-bones is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 22:33   #36251
BHPian

Lungi Dance gone wrong

Original Video Link

Sarvodaya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 09:31   #36252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
I often wonder. We now have CCTVs aplenty on the roads. We have algorithms which can detect stupidity and recklessness, along with registration plates.

Why cannot traffic police join these dots and become the richest public department in a municipality?
Why do they instead insist on wasting their time going after peanuts and peaheads?
All this is fine but when you go to the "other " India, this will be nothing but an amusement video.
Old 18th September 2022, 18:25   #36253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Another scary/dangerous video in my feed:
This poor animal was scared of the loud noise from the motorcycle and panicked. And tried to run randomly in the panic, finally hits the biker!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th September 2022 at 07:29. Reason: Video posted earlier in the thread
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 22:48   #36254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
This poor animal was scared of the loud noise from the motorcycle and panicked. And tried to run randomly in the panic, finally hits the biker!
Give that buffalo a traffic-police job!

Hope the guy is ok, but he had no need to go so close to the beast. Actually, it looks like a nasty encounter, let alone the fall.

The load on the second bike, threatening to take out everything else on the narrow lane, is also noted.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th September 2022 at 22:49.
Old 18th September 2022, 23:14   #36255
BHPian

Another shocking video.

Two bikers overtake a heavy vehicle; but one decides to do something crazy, leading to death of the following rider.

This guy walks away as if nothing happened. Hope he is caught and dealt with suitably.

Watch the last 30 sec of the video.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed