Got this on my YT feed.

SKC-auto is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 16:25   #36302
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Got this on my YT feed.
That was a bad accident to watch. Like we usually ignore basic safety measures, most of us have the feeling that the white line is some sort of lakshman rekha which no one will cross.

Was the cyclist standing on the side and talking to someone in the car?

And looks like the car was doing some serious speed.
deathwalkr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:39   #36303
BHPian

What the heck!

The headline translates like: "A car hit two boys fighting in the middle of the road in U.P. However, the boys continued their fight even after getting hit hard."

Last edited by tbppjpr : 23rd September 2022 at 10:42.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:48   #36304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
What the heck!

The headline translates like:
Seems like intentional collision, guess two college gangs fighting, the main rowdy of the gang brought his car to hit anyone on the road.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 23rd September 2022 at 10:50.
SKC-auto is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:01   #36305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
The term "Brake failure" is thrown around too frivolously. I think the RTO needs to collect data on exactly how frequently this occurs, and mandate annual brake inspection on trucks and busses. After this, we can be sure its driver error, fatigue, distraction and such. We can also hold the owners who make drivers work without a break accountable.

People with intimate understanding of trucks and busses can correct me if I am wrong. Brake failure can be because of these
  • Brake pad worn out
  • Overheated brake pad (from coming down hill)
  • Damaged/worn out rotor
  • Leaked hydraulic fluid, ruptured brake fluid lines
  • Overloaded vehicle
Pretty much all of the above is from negligence. Brake failure - as in a modern vehicle failing to stop is very very rare. Somebody needs to go to jail every time people are mowed down like this. They cant simply declare "Brake failure" as an act of God, and move on. As though it's a lightening strike.
Completely agree with all the points you have made.

My father and uncle run independent transport business since past 45years, mostly Medium and light commercial vehicles and in between some Heavy vehicles as well.

Touchwood we have never had any major incident till date, also i have never heard from them a genuine case of brake failure, few times there were minor incidents which the driver tried to pass on as brake fail but we knew it wasn't.

Brake failure just an easy excuse and to my belief has its origins in old Bollywood movies where this word was used liberally and has stuck since then.

Yes earlier vehicles had issues with brake overheating mainly after a downhill but they were old days, good drivers always knew how to deal with it.

I remember hearing in olden days our vehicles would occasionally take halt at khandala ghat, while going uphill to cool the engine and coming downhill to cool the brakes.
Gaur is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:39   #36306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The rickshaw driver apparently [b]hit the accelerator
We are still stuck in age old practice of slotting car in gear when parking! i have seen numerous friends and relatives doing the same, this practice is entirely wrong.

I never slot car in gear while parking, even on incline i always turn the wheels in direction of kerb when parking as an additional safety measure.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 15:07   #36307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
hit the accelerator while trying to charge his phone inside the vehicle.
I don't get how the car started in the first place while in gear though. Wouldn't it stall immediately? Some cars won't even crank unless the clutch is depressed. If it was an automatic (in D) he would have had to press the brake pedal to begin with. Or am I missing something?
Old 23rd September 2022, 15:55   #36308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
We are still stuck in age old practice of slotting car in gear when parking! ... ... ... this practice is entirely wrong.
I disagree. It is fine. I do it on my own drive.
Quote:
i always turn the wheels in direction of kerb when parking as an additional safety measure.
A very good practice, but there is not always a curb.

The entirely-wrong practice is turning the ignition without checking that the car is in neutral.

My life-long habit is to both check the gear lever and depress the clutch. I know, both cannot be necessary! Checking the gear is part of the British driving test; my father taught me that depressing the clutch gives the starter motor a little less work. Both habits stuck. I do it without thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sravankrishnan View Post
I don't get how the car started in the first place while in gear though. Wouldn't it stall immediately?
Probably, although the starter motor itself will move the car. Another lesson from my dad: starter motor as a way of moving a car that will not start --- in an emergency.

Modern AT cars have much more safety built in. If we want manual, then we must accept doing the whole job ourselves!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:20   #36309

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I may sound like a sadist here but everytime I see someone riding on the wrong side I sincerely wish this happens to them and at the same time I feel bad for an innocent law abiding driver getting tangled in a legal mess and will most likely be penalized for 'overspeeding'.

So I am changing my wish - I wish every wrong side drivers gets hit by another wrong side driver and learn a lesson! I only hope that such a crash doesn't involve two wrong sided school buses because that would be too cruel on the innocent kids.. Uff! I really hope we find a solution for this wrong side driving disease
I second your opinion. I live in small town where ten years ago I used to enjoy cycling around in the evenings. But today I avoid going out at the evenings at all cost courtesy of these crazy wrong sided,triple riding,mobile using morons,with headlights on full beam. Wish there is some magic get rid of this behavior.
Srini1414 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:37   #36310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I wish every wrong side drivers gets hit by another wrong side driver and learn a lesson!
There was a video of an accident like this posted in this thread a while back (2 years ago?).

Two bikes, both going on the wrong side of the road decided to cross over at the break in the divider of a highway to the correct side and collided with each other.

Unfortunately the lesson learned was death.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:42   #36311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The entirely-wrong practice is turning the ignition without checking that the car is in neutral.

My life-long habit is to both check the gear lever and depress the clutch. I know, both cannot be necessary! Checking the gear is part of the British driving test; my father taught me that depressing the clutch gives the starter motor a little less work. Both habits stuck.
+1 to this. I always have a starting ritual. Press the brake, then press the clutch, then check for neutral and only then crank the engine. It started as a conscious effort and now has become a habit.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 20:44   #36312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Got this on my YT feed.

https://Youtu.be/aj0rf_Goocw
While the car guy is at fault, I dont understand how do people have the guts to stand on a fast moving 2 way highway and speak. Atleast there was so much of space beside the road, they could have parked it there.

On another note, atleast >30% of the accident videos posted here are from Kerala. Either Kerala has too many CCTVs or indeed the accident numbers are highest.

Last edited by sunikkat : 23rd September 2022 at 20:48.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 21:01   #36313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
There was a video of an accident like this posted in this thread a while back (2 years ago?).
Hope this is the one you are referring to.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5322803

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 23rd September 2022 at 21:25.
Old 23rd September 2022, 21:49   #36314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

My life-long habit is to both check the gear lever and depress the clutch...
+ 1. I was taught on older vehicles without safety mechanisms to NEVER crank without the clutch disengaged, newer models have some stupid-proofing built in. My current car won't crank at all without the clutch disengaged.

I still don't understand how that car moved, and kept moving. Was it an automatic (unlikely given it was a cab)? It would either lunge and stall (if not in neutral and no 'press clutch to start' mechanism), or would start and rev (if started in neutral). The news article explanation doesn't seem to hold up.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd September 2022 at 22:06.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 10:34   #36315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I was taught on older vehicles without safety mechanisms to NEVER crank without the clutch disengaged, newer models have some stupid-proofing built in.
That was the apt word! 'Stupid-Proofing'.
Maybe more than ADAS, this is what manufacturers should focus on bringing and Govt should focus on mandating.

One major accident type that comes to mind is truck drivers using the method of coasting in Neutral and wearing out vehicles braking efficiency. The catastrophic accidents such incidents are causing and the whole system still continuing to rely on the truck drivers skill alone is appalling. There should be built in stupid proofing that prevents such a coasting possible.

Quote:
I still don't understand how that car moved, and kept moving.
Or maybe the jugaad 'placing a stone on accelerator pedal (For 'cruise control') was in place

Last edited by sarathlal : 24th September 2022 at 10:36.
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks