Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2022, 11:09   #36391
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
CCTV footage in present in this article
https://www.news18.com/news/india/mu...k-6102103.html

An emergency vehicle and few cars were stationary when another car (I think black Creta) smashed into them.
Another one of the aftermath
https://twitter.com/imvivekgupta/sta...89790706286592

This is tragic. Stopping on a high speed road like Sea Link is inviting death. Just few days back two guys died on the Sea Link when they stopped to save a pigeon.

There was an ambulance there, the authorities should have put up barricades or put up warnings at the start to watch out for stationary vehicles. People often drive at 80-100+ on the Sea Link. The road is so good you don't realize how fast you are going. It becomes almost impossible to course correct at the last moment at those speeds.
yashg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:18   #36392
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
CCTV footage in present in this article
https://www.news18.com/news/india/mu...k-6102103.html

An emergency vehicle and few cars were stationary when another car (I think black Creta) smashed into them.
Indian authorities need to learn from the Americans and follow the best practices. There should have been a tail-end vehicle from the highway authorities with flashing and blinking lights positioned 15-20 mtr behind. Highway Ambulances need to have roof mounted flashing lights at the rear end as well to warn oncoming traffic.
Ragul is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 13:01   #36393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Indian authorities need to learn from the Americans and follow the best practices. There should have been a tail-end vehicle from the highway authorities with flashing and blinking lights positioned 15-20 mtr behind. Highway Ambulances need to have roof mounted flashing lights at the rear end as well to warn oncoming traffic.
In Bangalore we have authorities who jump in front of you on a narrow elevated highway to catch you for speeding. No one including drivers, riders, pedestrians, policemen value their own lives let alone others.
lina is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 16:26   #36394
ais
BHPian

Crash at Bandra Worli Sea link kills 5

https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiane...-8191161/lite/

After the Cyrus Mistry crash, now this.

Time to change things. I'm working on a comprehensive PIL. Already spoken to a major road construction person, who highlighted the fact that overloaded truck are the main reason behind shoddy highway surfaces. I'll be meeting this person to discuss other factors and road specifications, signages, driver training etc, and the owner of a major transportation company for the maths behind overloading.

There are several other angles that I'm working on. I'll update and ask for participation soon for preparing a PIL.
ais is offline   (96) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 16:35   #36395
BHPian

Re: Crash at Bandra Worli Sea link kills 5

6 airbags, 5 star rating, abs, esc and what not?
Is any of the above of any use if there's no road sense?
How lives have been lost because of negligence in handling crash sites?
No signage, no marking, no assistance after crash leads to more accidents.
This type of accident is very much avoidable with common sense and road sense.
When will it become a mandatory?
tiagoatrix is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 18:14   #36396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
Time to change things. I'm working on a comprehensive PIL.
This case seems to be negligence at the drivers rather than infrastructure issues. Having said that, there are more than enough issues on our highways that are outright dangerous for drivers. And while there are enough directives from the center and the courts, I doubt there is any action or accountability at the grass roots level.

I had raised a grievance with MORTH on the now well known speed breakers, 5 of them on a 10KM highway stretch near Attibelle on Bangalore-Chennai highway. I clearly mentioned that the very fact there are speed breakers in the highway, that to 5 of them for a 10Km stretch, is unscientific and against a recent directive from the center on this subject. A month later I got a response that the speed breakers have been laid to scientific measurements per guidlines as a traffic calming measure . It seems they haven’t even bothered to understand the problem or assess the risks raised and just gave an response that allows them to close the case. Until such stupidity is eradicated, there is no solution for the infrastructure woes in this country. Attaching a copy of the response.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-morth_reply.png

Last edited by SR-71 : 5th October 2022 at 18:19.
SR-71 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 20:32   #36397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
There should have been a tail-end vehicle from the highway authorities with flashing and blinking lights positioned 15-20 mtr behind. Highway Ambulances need to have roof mounted flashing lights at the rear end as well to warn oncoming traffic.
If you see the video, there's a guy with the flashing red light waving towards the car (probably around 10 meters behind). Ambulance has its lights on (which is on the roof, so should be visible from behind too). Which is more than anything you'll see on an Indian highway.

You can blame it on hundred different things, but this is plain rash and incompetent driving by the culprit, nothing else. I really hope they get their license revoked.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 20:38   #36398
BHPian

Learned about this in an early morning tweet from Harsha Bhogle. We don't seem to manage post-accident scenarios well.

Name:  Screenshot 20221005 203347.png
Views: 965
Size:  20.4 KB
anivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 22:18   #36399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
You can blame it on hundred different things, but this is plain rash and incompetent driving by the culprit, nothing else. I really hope they get their license revoked.
I wholeheartedly agree that the incident could've been avoided if the driver was more alert. I was amazed by the Sea Link when I first travelled on it. As expected, saw many drivers pushing the pedal to the metal and swaying from lane to lane overtaking everyone like there's no tomorrow.
Drive like a maniac and you, along with a couple of innocent people, could pay the price.
Yash390 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 23:21   #36400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No signage, no marking, no assistance after crash leads to more accidents.
This type of accident is very much avoidable with common sense and road sense.
When will it become a mandatory?
This is a simple case of over speeding and driver error. None of the above will help when the driver is the reason for these deaths.

You cannot mandate common sense or road sense. I just saw a thread boasting 0 to 100 in a polo 1l. Our attitude is based on the assumption that we are good drivers and we have it under control.

Fault lies with driver in 99% of these cases. 1% is usually the other driver.
VW2010 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 08:54   #36401
BHPian

Tragic bus accident in Palakkad early this morning. 9 people including students were killed when a tourist bus rear-ended a KSRTC bus. Survivors say the tourist bus was overspeeding & GPS records show the same as well. A snapshot of the GPS from the news report shows 97kmph!

https://www.aninews.in/news/national...0221006083847/

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...ents-dead.html

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image3.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1image.jpg

RIP poor souls.

Last edited by TSIboy : 6th October 2022 at 08:59. Reason: typo
TSIboy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:14   #36402
BHPian

To quote one of the articles:

Quote:
The speed of the bus was above 80 km/h right from the beginning. When we enquired about the same, an employee at the tourist bus said that the driver was experienced and that speed was not an issue.
That experience of his clearly did not include crashing into another bus at 97kmph. Innocent people and their relatives had to pay for the recklessness and incompetence of the driver. On another note, such drivers are usually fuelled by the promotion of reckless driving in social media and in real life while calling it 'skill', a phenomenon rather common in Kerala and in other parts of India.
sravankrishnan is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:32   #36403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
A snapshot of the GPS from the news report shows 97kmph!
Long ago, the speed of commercial vehicles was restricted to 80 kmph. This has been in place for quite a while atleast for government busses in Gujarat. All over India, all commercial vehicles including Dzire, Eeco, Celerio, Xcent, etc. cabs has speeds limited at 80 kmph. It really makes me wonder how can a bus do close to 100 kmph despite restrictions.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 6th October 2022 at 10:34.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 13:47   #36404

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Long ago, the speed of commercial vehicles was restricted to 80 kmph. This has been in place for quite a while atleast for government busses in Gujarat. All over India, all commercial vehicles including Dzire, Eeco, Celerio, Xcent, etc. cabs has speeds limited at 80 kmph. It really makes me wonder how can a bus do close to 100 kmph despite restrictions.
Unfortunately any local mechanic (or even the driver itself) can override that. Maybe new buses have more robust mechanism from factory itself.
akkosetto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:17   #36405
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
If you see the video, there's a guy with the flashing red light waving towards the car (probably around 10 meters behind). Ambulance has its lights on (which is on the roof, so should be visible from behind too). Which is more than anything you'll see on an Indian highway.

And YET - the driver of the oncoming vehicle did not see that the lane was occupied with an ambulance flashing its lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is a simple case of over speeding and driver error. None of the above will help when the driver is the reason for these deaths.

You cannot mandate common sense or road sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree that the incident could've been avoided if the driver was more alert.
These comments are like a top traffic cop once commented about a fatality over a badly and unscientifically designed speed breaker - "so many vehicles pass this speed hump but only this fellow crashed - so its his fault!".

Road safety engineering and design and accompanying procedures cannot surrender to a spiteful mentality like yours - "you were foolish so you deserve to die". Rash driving also does not happen in a manner like " I see in an ambulance in my path but I will still speed .. haha!". Except for inexperienced teens or lack of defensive driving or drunk drivers most cases are genuine mistakes - momentary lapses of attention that are fatal. Good thing you folks are not government officials in charge of safety.

Road safety engineering is about preventing humans from making potentially fatal mistakes. Likely that the driver was momentarily distracted or nodding his head due to lack of sleep and missed noticing the people and vehicles in his path. Rear flashing lights on top of the ambulance would have increased the probability of catching his attention and braking on time. Likewise those NHAI type jeeps with flashing LEDs all over them positioned at the rear tail end could have saved the day. In the end lack of defensive driving or cautious approach will still lead to fatalities but it is all about saving people from themselves with an underlying compassionate attitude and approach that leads to increased financial budget and spend for devising proper safety procedures.

Last edited by Ragul : 6th October 2022 at 14:21.
Ragul is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed