Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2022, 21:33   #36436
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Horrific accident between an Mercedes E class & Suzuki Hayabusa. This article was shown in my feed, today. Don't know whether it was posted before.

Hope the rider is fine. The helmet looks in a pretty shape. The E class held well, when we see the intensity of the crash.

Source from Carblogindia

Vasuki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 00:21   #36437
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Horrific accident between an Mercedes E class & Suzuki Hayabusa. This article was shown in my feed, today. Don't know whether it was posted before.

Hope the rider is fine. The helmet looks in a pretty shape.
I wonder what the car driver was doing - there is no gap in the median for a U-turn.So why did he move into the opposite lane?
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 00:45   #36438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I wonder what the car driver was doing - there is no gap in the median for a U-turn.So why did he move into the opposite lane?

Seems like he did come into the opposite late a bit earlier than required. The divider seems to be diving the main road from the service lane and ends a bit ahead of the accident spot. Car came in on the wrong side a bit ahead of the required spot.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 10:35   #36439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
So many things wrong, that led to the crash.
  • No hard shoulder / breakdown lane as a part of a high speed corridor
  • Low level bright lights on lampposts to dazzle drivers, without adequate illumination of road surface
  • Stopped vehicles not using hazard blinkers, especially the last vehicle - it does not even look like the parking lights were on
  • Flashing lightbar on ambulance mounted improperly, shielding any chance of noticing it from the rear
  • No deployment of reflective warning triangle 50m behind last vehicle - there's supposed to be one in every car by law
  • People loitering behind and to the right of the last car, exposing themselves to fast moving traffic
Given the circumstances, this was a tragedy waiting to happen.
Not disputing that ideal safety measures for a disabled vehicle were not followed.
However these are not easily “modifiable” factors in India. As someone else pointed out this was probably as good as it gets on Indian roads- person with lit baton, presence of street lights, ambulance stopped with flashing lights etc. The typical situation would be a disabled Truck parked on an unlit, undivided highway without its hazard or tail lights on and with oncoming traffic flooding your eyes with high beams. As Indians we prepare for this typical situation.

You forgot the most important and “modifiable “ factor-the idiot driver who couldn’t notice all these and move over or stop.
StopUnderrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 13:03   #36440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
The typical situation would be a disabled Truck parked on an unlit, undivided highway without its hazard or tail lights on and with oncoming traffic flooding your eyes with high beams. As Indians we prepare for this typical situation.
There is no known system or mechanism in India to prepare anyone for that kind of "typical situation". Unless there is stringent testing of a driver before awarding a driver's licence, with re-education in defensive and lawful driving after every major traffic violation, the death rate in vehicular crashes in India is not about to come down. Would some authority send that truck driver mentioned above, to a 3-day driver safety training course, after he parked without lights on an undivided highway? When that starts happening, this thread might not be half as active as it is now.
Quote:
You forgot the most important and “modifiable “ factor-the idiot driver who couldn’t notice all these and move over or stop.
The "idiot driver" is not just the one who crashed and killed 5 people. The multitude of drivers who stopped on that road, endangering their own lives, can all be classified under that single heading. They'll all be penalized monetarily, but their DLs will never be cancelled.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th October 2022 at 13:07.
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 13:54   #36441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
A brand new car arrives home and meets its two wheeled companions:

[/url]
It's a new Nexon that arrived with a garland from the showroom into perhaps the owner's home in a gated society. The incident took place on 06/10. Video posted on twitter by Sqn Ldr Vinod Kumar (retd) is titled "what a grand arrival home?"

The Nexon bulldozes many two wheelers and finally almost turns turtle, when onlookers rush to the driver's aid.

We often overestimate our newly acquired driving capabilities. The driver was at the wheel to the right and he could not perceive and adjudge a safe gap to his left. Luckily, other than damages and monetary losses, no life was lost.

Link:-

https://indianexpress.com/article/tr...ource=inshorts

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th October 2022 at 13:55.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 14:20   #36442
Distinguished - BHPian

The inexperience of the person driving is evident from the point he is entering the gate - the car is too close to the gate pillar, and the guard should have ideally asked the driver to move to the right.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 17:56   #36443
Senior - BHPian

Exactly right condor. It almost felt like scraping the gates behind. Too close a turn.

What I’m trying to understand is on how the speed increases after hitting the first bike. Maybe the driver panicked and pressed the A pedal harder.
Old 9th October 2022, 19:03   #36444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post

Hope the rider is fine. The helmet looks in a pretty shape. The E class held well, when we see the intensity of the crash.

Source from Carblogindia

Video

Both are at fault, 80 % fault lies with Mercedes driver for driving on wrong side, he should have gone further and taken a U turn at the next intersection.
20 % fault lies with biker for over-speeding. As it is a Hayabusa, it picks speed very quickly, so the biker might not even be aware of the speeds he is doing - not defending the biker here, but I experienced the same while driving a busa. Hope the rider is alive.
Old 10th October 2022, 08:30   #36445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
The aftermath of yesterday's horrific accident, wherein a tourist bus rear ended a Ksrtc bus resulting in deaths. The bad publicity for the Police and MVD officials has resulted in this vehicle checking on a war footing, god only knows till when this will continue. I only hope it does continue.

https://Youtu.be/H2hz7j1wlmI
Why are they peeling off stickers and what are they peeling off from the headlamps and the windshield beadings?

I do not understand how these are related to the rear ending incident?
Old 10th October 2022, 09:14   #36446
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I'm sure neither do they. Very typical reaction in any part of India, do something, which is easiest to do, whether related/ relevant or not.
Old 10th October 2022, 10:26   #36447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why are they peeling off stickers and what are they peeling off from the headlamps and the windshield beadings?
Looks like concealed wiring for illegal aftermarket attachments for light and sound.

The stickers probably because they alter the "approved" livery of the vehicle (is it mentioned in the fitness certificate/RC?). Anyway I read that Kerala has come up with a standardised livery for all these contract carriages (like they've done for private stage carriages a few years back).

Quote:
This is supply-side intervention - apparently the student field trip / study tour market wants vehicles with fancy lighting, in-vehicle dance floor etc. There are some news reports about demand-side intervention as well - enforcement of rules that require schools to inform police/MVD about such tours and getting clearance for the vehicles & staff they hire for the purpose.

My take is that this is all the extra enthusiasm that follows immediately after an epoch-defining event like last week's accident. In Malayalam there are two proverbs that talk of this situation - a rustic one about what a new bride might be up to, and a Sanskrit-derived one which describes it in two words.

Last edited by binand : 10th October 2022 at 10:47.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 19:59   #36448
BHPian

I was travelling from Chennai to Bangalore on 5th Oct 2022 after a good vacation of five days. Delighted by the very thought of propelling my VENTO TDI 1.6. Tanked up Diesel at BP COCO Ambattur and started my journey towards Bangalore by 5pm

Here comes the horror. As I crossed Chennasamudram Toll Plaza, Walajapet, I gradually picked up pace and maintained speed between 90 and 100Kmph, it’s a six-lane highway and I was on the middle lane. I saw a dog running towards the median, at that point there were few vehicles behind on the right lane and could see bright head lights on the IRVM, so sure few more vehicles behind.

I thought the dog will cross the road but much to my surprise, it jumped back and started running straight to my car. Impact is imminent, and I did not react except lifting the foot off the accelerator.

I heard a loud bang in the middle section, and I could still hear the dog rolling underneath for 2 to 3 seconds. Since the IRVM was in dimmer position and dark outside, I couldn’t see what happened to the dog, but I felt sorry for the dog, entire event happened within 5 seconds.

What next

I saw the coil LED flashing and lost acceleration, car was doing around 70kmph. Turned on the left indicator to pull over to a safe place, luckily I could pull up to a fuel station around 300 meters from the site of impact.

Got out of the car and looked at the bumper and below, saw coolant flowing out and multiple cracks on the front bumper. Anxiety level was raising as I am being stranded on the highway with family, unfortunately yes it did happen.

It was around 8PM and I was looking for a bare minimum fix to drive the car up to Bangalore but in vain. I already prepared my mind to tow and called a nearby towing agent, found from google.

Usha Ravi Recovery Service in Vellore, Towing service in Vellore, Tamil Audiphone: 094870 87407, Address: Accident Recovery & Towing Service in, No 1, Old Bypass Rd, near Ambiga Petrol Bunk, Vellore, Tamil Nadu 632004

Meanwhile, I met a local resident Mr Kumaran who was passing by the fuel station, told him about the situation, he knew few local garages within 2 Km radius.

I went with him on his bike, but most of the garages were closed except one “MANI AUTOMOBILS” and they agreed to come along with coolant and toolkit. However, after looking inside the bonnet they suspected multiple damages and asked us to drive up to the garage, it was around 1 ˝ km away from the spot. Drove the car at 30kmph and reached the garage

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20221010_163553.jpg

Upon inspection, found the following damages – Radiator cracked, stand holding the radiator broke and the pipe going to AC was cut, its already past 9:30PM. They don’t have spares on hand, and I was told it’ll take at least a day to fix the issue, but they were kind enough to come along and inspect the vehicle even at closing time.

I called the towing agent again and asked them to reach the garage ASAP, shared location. I also requested Mr Kumaran to call a known/trusted Cab, he managed to arrange a cab quickly, both the towing vehicle and cab arrived at the garage by 11:30pm. Shifted the luggage, ramped up the car and handed over the keys to towing agent, told them to tow till Apple auto VW , B Narayanapura. KR Puram, Bangalore.

Thanked Mr Kumaran who helped to find a Garage and a trusted Cab. Special Thanks to the Garage owner and the crew far staying with us until the Cab arrived.

We reached home safety by 3:30am, cab took us through Chittoor route and the towing vehicle reached apple auto by 6:00am. I was already at the service station and informed security about the incident, parked the Car inside the gate, came back home and I went back by 10am. Met the SA, submitted insurance Claim forms and completed other formalities. I was told it’ll take another two more weeks to see my buddy again.

Time to reflect

I was keep thinking, what should I have done differently to prevent this incident? though I had few seconds to react, but my mind went blank. May be this was the right decision considering the fast-moving vehicles around, but I couldn’t convince myself.

Not sure if vehicles equipped with ADAS would have made a difference?

Well, still couldn’t believe it happened and the unexpected expenses so far and I’m aware of eye watering service bills ahead. However, thanked God for getting us home with no other safety and security issues.

Drive safe - Vino
glovins2004 is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 20:49   #36449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
A brand new car arrives home and meets its two wheeled companions:
I hate how easy it is to secure a driving license and buy yourself a big barge here in India. The roads are clogged with people in brand new cars who have no idea what gear their automatic is operating in, no idea which lane they are on (sometimes straddling two lanes at a time), and no idea what vehicles are there around them or how to move out of the way. I wish there was a way to have a system where basic license only limits people to cars less than a certain weight (perhaps 800 kilos?) and within a certain power to weight ratio. Atleast then they won't buy some fancy car with apple car play and a back up camera and think they have made it in life and do not need to learn how to drive. If they want a larger car just to make their neighbors jealous then let them learn how to drive properly first before issuing them a sort of super license. Just scary thinking how bad this could have been if it was on the road.
IshaanIan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 22:31   #36450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovins2004 View Post
Time to reflect

I was keep thinking, what should I have done differently to prevent this incident? though I had few seconds to react, but my mind went blank. May be this was the right decision considering the fast-moving vehicles around, but I couldn’t convince myself.
Thank God you didn't slam those brakes. It would have been a totally different level of mess especially because that dog was visible only to you and not the vehicles tailing you. In my opinion, you did the right thing. The only other option was to dangerously swerve around that dog but that could have pushed you into a fishtail spin, leading to much worse outcome. Also, really good to read that you received help from a random stranger passing by
bordeaux is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed