Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2022, 14:14   #36676
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Couldn't really understand which direction the road is sloping. From the looks of it , it is a ghat section. (Pune-Mumbai?) If the brakes failed on the flat bed trailer truck and pushed the container truck, ideally the slope is in the direction of the trucks. But after they stopped, the flatbed rolled back and managed to stop too.
My Marathi is very rudimentary; but what I figure is that the flatbed had a brake failure and it hit the container (in a controlled fashion) to slow down and come to a stop. When that manoeuvre ended it started rolling backwards.

This is the location, I think. It is a rather famous one on the MPEW.

Last edited by binand : 21st October 2022 at 14:35.
Old 21st October 2022, 14:30   #36677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
What the hell did I just watch. Clear case of DUI ?
https://Youtu.be/_1kN4GgTv4g
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Looks like DUI or some insane person behind the wheel. No sane person would do this for others. This person should be banned from driving for life.
In this video, the driver says he ran away be he got scared. The thrashing afterwards shows not without reason.

Seeing that he started running away after just bumping the first car (which is nothing in comparison to what comes afterwards), he probably got 'scared' that the DUI might come out. Just my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
It could also be a DUI- I meaning drugs case. I am surprised that the police (if on the scene) did not shoot the tyres of that car to prevent further damage to life and property. In the US , the driver also might have been shot by the police.
Thank god for that! If there is one thing I am thankful for, it's that our cops do not go crazy with guns like in the US! Attempting to shoot at that car in what appears to be a dense market area is a terrible, terrible idea. Anyway, the guy got a beating from the public and is arrested. Not sure what purpose guns would serve, other than satisfying some blood lust.
N.A.GTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 14:32   #36678
BHPian

The title was something similar. How the truck used another truck to stop in brake failed condition. It may be a collaborative effort.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 15:52   #36679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
How to control a brake failed overloaded truck:

https://Youtu.be/0WwRtvdVHDA
What is horrifying is that the cargo is not secured and damaged the cab

Last edited by ajmat : 21st October 2022 at 20:02.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 16:53   #36680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What is horrifying is that the cargo is not secured and damaged the cab
The scarier story was about to unravel when this quick thinking driver everted it.
It looks like a ghat section; both the trucks would have gone down the mountain slope.
Truck drivers looked like friends who must have conversed on phone before attempting this.
If not, the driver in front would be running behind the driver of the slabs loaded truck.

Last edited by ajmat : 21st October 2022 at 20:02.
Old 21st October 2022, 17:44   #36681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
While I agree with you that the erring car that merged triggered the string of events, no accident is caused by a singular event.
Whilst this is philosophically true, there are many incidents where the action of one person is so much responsible, and avoidance by others would be so difficult, it is practically not the case.

Quote:
I think the learning we should take back from all accidents in this thread is to analyse the string of events that culminated in an accident, and mentally practice/ prepare ourselves to do it differently if we are ever to be involved such a situation (fingers crossed, will never happen!)
But I agree, that we should be driving so as to avoid all the accidents that might happen. All the time, something in the back of our heads should be asking, "What could go wrong here."

Quote:
How to control a brake failed overloaded truck:
This is quite amazing. I guess somehow the drivers would have communicated.

On a lighter note, I can't help imagining one truck driver pushing the other with his foot!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 21st October 2022 at 17:45.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 18:19   #36682
BHPian

There is more entertainment on the streets nowadays than at the movies!

Another funny under the bus manoeuvre

Chicken racing. Dzire guy provoked, Alto accepted!

See what the sign read:
Attached Images

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 21st October 2022 at 18:31.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 21:39   #36683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Never overtake a vehicle when the road in front is not visible.
Yeah, I have a story to tell.

In November 2002, I and a friend were en route to Physics tuition at 5:45 AM once. I was taking my friend along on dad's metal heavy Chetak scooter on Chennai's LB road. I spotted a slow moving lorry and overtook it on the slow lane. By the time I neared the lorry's front axle, I saw this guy strolling leisurely across the road with his bicycle in tow. I had just picked up speed so braking was out of the question. And for the strolling man the choice was clear - better the fast scooter than a slow lorry.

Desi loha with 2 humans on board met human flesh. Desi loha fell on its left and somehow I and my friend were sitting on top (i.e., on the scooter's right side). I remember seeing sparks fly through the cold morning air. When it slid to a stop, we stood up unscathed. We were able to start the desi loha as well, no problem.

The strolling man was in pain, clutching his left thigh, but refused any help. He limped away with his cycle. What did I know, at 18 years of age? I didn't persuade him further to get help from me.

A pretty girl from my class who was also coming to the same tuition class enquired with us if we were okay...I was touched - pretty girl had a heart!

Later on as we pulled into the tuition class, we were greeted by raucous laughter. Current Kollywood actress Varalakshmi Sarathkumar was there too for tuition and she too had a good laugh at my misfortune's expense.

She probably remembers me as the buffoon who spilled his dad's old scooter, to this day!

Moral of the story - what you said - don't overtake a big vehicle if you can't see past it and to its sides as well. Hang back, put some distance between your vehicle and the big vehicle, get a good view of the road ahead and then overtake swiftly (i.e., never linger on in the lorry's/bus' immense blind spots).
locusjag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 08:03   #36684
Senior - BHPian

A narrow lane in Seshadripuram, Bangalore had a two wheeler take a fall (on his own, quite puzzling). Thankfully the vehicles could stop in time due to the low (urban) speeds.

So next time before we rue the slow speeds in dense urban areas, think about the bright side!
Name:  L_20221021190055_16_AdobeExpress 2.gif
Views: 810
Size:  5.75 MB
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 15:53   #36685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried it today and it was fun! But yes, had to overtake many vehicles on the lane 1 as they were below 100 and I was at 100. If I had honked they would have said What!? Three lanes are empty and you are honking and pushing me away from lane 1 when I am cruising at 80?
Since all 4 lanes allow 80kmph, if they want to cruise at 80, they should be doing it in lane 3 (leaving lane 4 for even slower trucks etc),
without blocking the 2 fast lanes. But that's the issue with reading the rules literally - lane 4 is for 80-100 and I am at 80, so I am right.

The 2+2 lane KL highways have a 100km upper speed limit for cars, but unlike ORR there is no min speed specified.
So what happens here is a car at 60 on the fast lane with another at 59 on the slow lane, effectively blocking everyone
else leading to unnecessary congestion on an otherwise free road. As per them, they are within the speed limit and
thus not doing any wrong, but they should both ideally be driving in the slow lane, leaving the fast lane free.
I see this weekly on the 20km Aroor-Cherthala 4-lane stretch. It's a pain.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 22nd October 2022 at 15:54.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 16:18   #36686
Distinguished - BHPian

Are lanes now numbered from right to left? Lane one being the "fast[est]" lane? This is super confusing!

British motorway rules are amazingly simple: drive on the left. Each vehicle moves to the right to overtake, and then back to the left.

I know it is not that easy in India. Britain has a complete absence of pedestrians from its motorways and the presence of animals is very, very rare. But the principle is straightforward.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 16:50   #36687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are lanes now numbered from right to left? Lane one being the "fast[est]" lane? This is super confusing!
Not everywhere, but on ORR at least. As we were discussing ORR, lanes numbers came into picture. There are speed limits for each lane on ORR. If you are new to ORR, they have printed speed limits at every 10 km gap on the lane itself and also on some overhead displays.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_2022_1018_231305.jpg  

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 20:37   #36688
BHPian

According to Carblog India, a Ferrari SF90 belonging to Mukesh Ambani has crashed:

Whoever was driving it should have practiced driving such powerful cars before attempting to show off in public. Money definitely can't buy skills.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20221022203154.png  

CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 22:03   #36689
BHPian

Lane driving on hills is absolutely necessary. Especially on blind turns.
It could have been worse for the occupants. The car didn't catch fire.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 22:48   #36690
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
According to Carblog India, a Ferrari SF90 belonging to Mukesh Ambani has crashed:
The only occasion in the world where a "driver" enjoys an SF90 instead of the owner. This occurred 2 days ago, did it get reported in any mainstream media ?
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed