Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2022, 16:23   #36961
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I am not sure how such a police charge sheet nailing the criminal driver as guilty of murder will stand during trial before a magistrate's court.
The police don't decide the guilt, the court does. Which is as it should be.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 16:46   #36962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Well, can't say whether it was a right call for you to let the guilty go unpunished. Without any penalty such wrong doings are likely to be repeated. And one cannot always be lucky to escape with minor damages.
Fair Point Capri89. I did get some money from the father that compensates for the no claims bonus loss and the coming year's insurance premium that will be higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The most important thing - you and your wife are safe. This is one of those ugly unpredictableness of our roads showing it's face

But count your and your A6's blessings, this could have gone sideways in 9 different directions.

Curious though - if the father is so worried about his son's future, why the heck is he even allowing him to drive a vehicle without even a valid fitness/ 3rd party insurance? Is he at least compensating you?
Total bad luck that evening ph03n!x. Can't be anything other than bad luck. And my wife uttered it the same evening that 'our car saved our lives'.

The son studies in an engg college on this road, and his house is about 35+ km away, and apparently he had gone off on a solo drive in that evening after an exam or so. Anyways, some cock and bull story.

And yes, I did get compensated. Took only the amount that is required, basis inputs from the dealer insurance person. Not one rupee more/less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Wrong choice. By not filing an FIR you are encouraging such behaviour to not have third party insurance. What if instead of hitting your A6 he’d have killed a poor pedestrain who could be the sole breadwinner ? Who would have paid compensation in that case? The father fooled you. If an uninsured car has an accident the person named in the RC gets involved in the case not the driver.
Fully understand and i agree too StopUnderrides. The 'moment' is plain crazy. I somehow get into a zen/calm state when things go badly sideways and this moment was one of them. I believe that i can think clearly only if I gather myself quickly. For any injury/body harm, I surely would not have let go easily. Think of it, the ASI is someone whom I know and things can be easy for me and I could have got an FIR in no time.

Somehow, after 4 hours of the incident, and the brain starts resting slowly, conversations with the insurance and the SA calms you down a bit, the car reaches the Body shop and they were waiting for it to arrive and they tell me that its just the externals and nothing else. The father might have fooled me also, but I clearly had no energy to be spending any more minute that evening outside of home. I would have got home at 5.30 pm or earlier, but it took me about 10 pm to get home. Anyways, its a decision I took that night and thankfully, I have not had moments to regret that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
What if scenarios are endless.
I think he took a good decision. Father's story could be a gimmick, but for FIR, the car would have to stay at PS for a week and other hassles.
Looking at the damage, it is better to solve things outside PS.
For the other part, just raising a complaint in the RTO against this vehicle will ensure that it doesn't burn any more rubber until it is deemed fit.
Agreed. I didn't want my car to be left there. I didn't want the Police contacts to Tow my car. I feared more damage.

Aside - how does one raise a comlplaint to the RTO. I would gladly do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
Really sorry for this harrowing experience. If I am understanding the turn of events correctly your car might have saved that boy's life? If not for your car he would have fell into onto the lake on the other side?

Also, is this near the kaglipura lank bund stretch? That section is too scary and asking for trouble.
True that. If not for my car, he would plunged into the dry land that used to be a water body decades ago. And yes, the same lake bund stretch. Many people, for reasons best known to them, end up accelerating at this stretch of 400 metres

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I was thinking what I would do under such circumstances. Perhaps a self-determined, large enough to be a deterrent rupee amount to be donated into a reputed charity? Say in this case, "show me proof of deposit of Rs. 5 lakhs into PM-CARES or Karnataka CMRF within 1 hour or I register the FIR"?
Guess what - He compensated me and when I reached home and told the wife, the first thing she said was to 'Donate' this money to a needy institution. The compensation in a few thousands, but still will keep me and her happy to donate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Thank god you and your wife are safe. Must be a harrowing experience. It’s difficult to even think straight during such ordeals, especially when one is at the receiving end for no fault of ours.
You not only saved the driver (20 year old kid?) from the crowd, but also showed great magnanimity in letting them go. We can just hope they learnt their lesson.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Bot View Post
I'm not sure if it was the right decision to just let the person go without any consequences, but then again, I would concur that leaving your car in the police station is generally to be avoided.

I have seen loiterers around police stations steal tyres, ORVMs, windshield wipers etc from the cars that are parked there related to an accident. And there is no point arguing with the police, they'll just brush you off, or worse, make some snide personal comments about you fusisng about losing your car tyres when you could afford an Audi. Best to not trust others to take care of your car, especially when none of this was your fault.
Exactly the reasons why I didn't want that to happen. I see that police station every day in my commutes and I see their yard that has so many rotten and dead machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This is a big problem with the system being complaint-based, rather than law-based. If an offence has been committed, the police should act, at least warning the offender, regardless of some other party complaining or not.

The only accident I had in UK in which police were involved, the other driver received a warning for driving without due care and attention. I had no say whatsoever in what they did or did not do. In fact I was quite surprised to get a letter saying that I was exonerated, but the other guy was "warned." (None the less, I certainly learned lessons from the event)

(And that's official. On record. Not just a stern word.)

(do they call it warned or cautioned? I forget. It was thirty years ago.)
I truly wish we had a system that does it pro-actively. Eg. when the ASI came, I am sure he had the same access to the Vaahan portal that I had and he clearly could have looked up and taken action on his own. Sadly, no. And at 10 pm when we were departing, all he wanted was to ensure we talk it out and leave the premises

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
This incident must-have happened at Kaggalipura tank bund or Ravgodlu tank bund. I studied at Aps college on the same road and it was a daily affair seeing KL/TN vehicles crashing on the metal barrier and sometimes dropping into the lake below. I know emotions would be running high, for you seeing your expensive car damaged and for that rascal student who has the guts to drive like an idiot and trembling like an ass later without any idea of its consequences. Would have pursued it and made sure both father/son suffered. The father for handing over an irresponsible car to an irresponsible son and the son for rash driving.
Same road. And this time, it was the Dayanand Sagar engg college student.
And what suffering is the question. I might probably suffer more of guilt. I don't know, but after a few hours at the spot and when things looked more clear and next steps were known, it helped me calm down and do what I did. Right or wrong, I don't know.
jkrishnakj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 18:37   #36963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The ASI told me that for an FIR, my car has to be left at the station for a week, I had to politely rule out. .
I have been in a few such incidents as well where the Bangalore Police was prompt to inform that the car has to be left at the station for a week.

I think thats a bluff.
Want someone knowlegeable of the process to highlight why it'd take a week at the PS?
Also, what is the formal Police protocol in such road accident cases?
(Considering Indian MVA & Penal Code is based on the British System, shouldn't they be similar? I know, when the Brits left India, we barely had cars.)
PS : In my view, the cops are just understaffed and are too busy charging the fatality cases. Hence, they do not want to entertain these skirmishes.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 23:19   #36964
RRM
BHPian

Quote:
The ASI told me that for an FIR, my car has to be left at the station for a week, I had to politely rule out.
Sheer bad luck but good to hear that all were safe.

Good decision to not to leave the car in police custody. It seems to be a way to automatically deter one filing an FIR as the cops know that no one will be ready to leave an expensive car just like that in open and unknown place. After a week can't imagine the car's condition!

Moreover, once the FIR is filed, the cops will have to investigate the case to get into a logical closure and they will have to put lot efforts!
RRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 08:33   #36965
BHPian

Quote:
...The ASI told me that for an FIR, my car has to be left at the station for a week, I had to politely rule out.
Quote:
Agreed. I didn't want my car to be left there. I didn't want the Police contacts to Tow my car. I feared more damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Want someone knowlegeable of the process to highlight why it'd take a week at the PS?
Also, what is the formal Police protocol in such road accident cases?

I have some knowledge regarding leaving the car in the Police Station. When the car is in an accident, the RTO inspector has to certify that the car is suitable to be driven on the road again, or if it should be towed and repaired before being on the road, and so on. In most places, this is the same person that does licenses, fitness certificates etc. So, they don't turn up at the police station to inspect vehicles. If you want your car to be released quickly, you should go talk to the inspector, get him to come and inspect your car and everything. This is a headache unless you know the inspector. Then, you have to get the car to the police station as the investigation progresses, and they want to investigate. This is another headache, so it is better settle outside.
the_joker is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 11:07   #36966
BHPian

Noida tragic accident involving a high end vehicle, albeit, 5th owner.

https://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...da-586845.html

It's a XKR.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 11:12   #36967
Senior - BHPian

https://twitter.com/annukhan78/statu...dFyRdRer0Xj1oQ

This is from yesterday, Brezza VDi, head on collision with divider. Both airbags opened. Car seems to have minimal impact inside cabin, although externally its complete loss with engine damage.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 13:50   #36968
BHPian

Quote:
The Innova doesn’t have a Fitness certificate (2007 model) and no insurance either. The owner, who is the father of the boy who drove the Innova reached the spot and the police station after 90 minutes of the accident. Breaking down after hearing about my intent to file an FIR for keeping an illegal car on the roads, he broke down and pleaded, given his sons education, passport, visa etc.. I finally took the choice to let go.
Similar to many others in this forum, it's quite difficult to say whether you did right thing by letting them go.

On one hand, filing an FIR would have spoilt the future of the boy. However, given many loopholes in our system, his father would have ensured that boy's future is secured.

On other hand, letting owner (the father) go seems to be mistake. Letting his college going son, who i assume possesses a license, drive a big car without a fitness certificate is a crime. You were fortunate to escape without injuries. What if there was some unfortunate civilian on a bike or cycle or a car with low body strength?

I don't know when the authorities will wake up and take serious actions like lifetime ban on such drivers/owners. Maybe only when a politician or a hight profile individual is a victim!
MyLife_MyCar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 20:27   #36969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Well, can't say whether it was a right call for you to let the guilty go unpunished. Without any penalty such wrong doings are likely to be repeated. And one cannot always be lucky to escape with minor damages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Wrong choice. By not filing an FIR you are encouraging such behaviour to not have third party insurance. What if instead of hitting your A6 he’d have killed a poor pedestrain who could be the sole breadwinner ? Who would have paid compensation in that case?.
Unfortunately, the adherence to rules in India is very low. Most of these people do not care about the consequences and with our no fault insurance system where each person has to fix their own vehicle, there isn’t much one can do. My nearly new MG ZS EV was hit from behind by a taxi while stopped in line at the security check inside a large mall. The bumper cracked, cameras popped out, the bottom crash guard was damaged as well. The taxi driver was completely unconcerned. He didn’t even apologise and instead blamed me for stopping in the queue of vehicles stopped for the security check. Mall security were very helpful and everything was caught on CCTV. I threatened to involve the police and in fact I am acquainted with several high level officials even though I have never ever asked for any favours. The taxi driver did not care one bit. He offered me Rs 100 to get my bumper fixed. He refused to believe that the bumper would cost over 40k to repair. He claimed he was poor and all he had on him was Rs 100. After arguing for 30 minutes, I accepted Rs 1,000 given by his friend and moved on as it would have been a useless exercise. I am sure he would have paid 5k if the police came and twisted his arm but it wasn’t worth wasting my whole evening for this. So, unfortunately, people will keep driving carelessly and dangerously as there are no consequences until someone suffers serious injury or death.
Lobogris is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 20:33   #36970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I learnt my lessons in a rather hard way.
My car is back exactly after 31 days. Repair cost was around 60k. I will let the pictures do the talking. We went for a full body repaint( roof was not painted) to cover up other minor scratches. One drastic difference I noticed is the new door that they have installed. The door is of horrible quality despite being a GM original spare part. It feels very light and doesn't have the same heft as the original door. Apart from that, everything else feels fine.
Also, notice the misaligned Beat badge on the boot. I feel like removing it due to the misalignment.
Regards,
Saikishor
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20221206091523.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20221206091531.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20221206091546.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20221206091602.jpg  

Last edited by saikishor : 7th December 2022 at 20:34.
saikishor is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 21:46   #36971
BHPian

Pathetic response from commuters towards an accident victim. I thought I was watching a video from China.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 22:36   #36972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pathetic response from commuters towards an accident victim. I thought I was watching a video from China.
What is the right response? Calling the ambulance and police is the right thing to do. Trying to move the accident victim is not recommended.

Recently I was talking to a former colleague who had survived a horrific bike accident and taken 6 months to recover. In fact, he has some major issues even now, and it might take long time therapy to get better, if at all. When I heard some specific problems, I loudly wondered how a bike accident could cause such injuries. He bitterly replied those injuries were caused by good samaritans who lifted him incorrectly using his arms right after the accident.
Samurai is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 23:49   #36973

Also, It is unfortunate that the jaywalker met with an accident, however that looks like a busy highway and it is not
ndnesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 00:29   #36974
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/bjAu9r0pXQc
Looks like an example of the bystander effect. A common phenomenon seen across the world (seen it personally too). People in a group tend to not help a person in emergency assuming that someone else might. There is also a fear of getting caught up in legal issues if one decides to help (most people are not aware of the Good Samaritan Law).

A way around this is to single out some people and ask them to help. This somehow makes it much harder to refuse to help. Our brains are weird.

P.S. Could you elaborate on your statement 'I thought I was watching a video from China'? I didn't get the reference.
Rohan265 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 01:09   #36975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What is the right response? Calling the ambulance and police is the right thing to do. Trying to move the accident victim is not recommended.
The right response was to stop the traffic. He nearly got run over by other vehicles.

I am not sure if this news made any headlines, but just yesterday, something even more terrible happened in Aligarh. An accident victim was being eaten by dogs on the road.

I shared a video sometime back showcasing exactly what you mentioned. Unfortunately, the video doesn't exist now as the YouTube channel was blocked. The link to the post is below:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5438028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Looks like an example of the bystander effect. A common phenomenon seen across the world.

A way around this is to single out some people and ask them to help. This somehow makes it much harder to refuse to help. Our brains are weird.

P.S. Could you elaborate on your statement 'I thought I was watching a video from China'? I didn't get the reference.
I read it in a book, which I don't remember now. It provided a guidance on this aspect.

If one is asking for help from a crowd, he/she should pick just one person from the crowd and ask to dial the police or call the ambulance etc.

For example, if I am surrounded by 20 odd people after an accident, I will pick one guy from them and say Excude me sir, yes you in the white shirt. Can you please call an ambulance?

It was noted that if there are a number of people watching over you, it is quite possible that none of them had called the police or ambulance, thinking that 'someone' would have done that.

Regarding China, I used to see many accident videos from China and around the world on a website called liveleak.com (now it doesn't exist) and it was so often seen that accident victims in China does not get ANY help from others. They just pass by an accident victim as if nothing happened.
A news article on the same:
https://www.businessinsider.com/two-...-china-2011-10
I also saw the video mentioned in the news feed on liveleak many years ago. No one helped this girl. It was even run over by another vehicle.

Just searched and found the short version of the video available on youtube.

Graphic content warning

@mods, I know the video is not from India, but it addresses the topic of discussion. Please remove if not found suitable.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed