Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2022, 01:30   #36976
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

while the one who saw it first hand did know it was accident, and there are couple of them on footpath who should have helped, the one driving through later might have thought it is some drunk guy on the road.

That said a sorry state of affairs and guess signs of times to come, the narrator said the right thing, in future humanity probably will cease to exist.
Old 8th December 2022, 01:56   #36977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
T
Regarding China, I used to see many accident videos from China and around the world on a website called liveleak.com (now it doesn't exist) and it was so often seen that accident victims in China does not get ANY help from others. They just pass by an accident victim as if nothing happened.
Never read about the Bystander Effect being observed more in certain countries. I doubt the Chinese are less empathetic than other citizens of other countries. Maybe the Chinese are just too afraid of their government to get involved in matters beyond their own.

I believe the book you are referring to is 'Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion' by Robert Cialdini. An excellent book that highlights various psychological phenomena.
Rohan265 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 11:38   #36978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Regarding China, I used to see many accident videos from China and around the world on a website called liveleak.com (now it doesn't exist) and it was so often seen that accident victims in China does not get ANY help from others. They just pass by an accident victim as if nothing happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
Maybe the Chinese are just too afraid of their government to get involved in matters beyond their own.
From the article shared by MT_Hyderabad

Quote:
The clip has revived the debate on whether bystanders should help accident victims.The Chinese courts set a precedent in 2006 when a young adult trying to help an elderly woman who fell was sued for $6,076.
I read somewhere that the discussion that went on in the court was along the lines of "If you didn't push the elderly lady, why did you try to help?". I guess helping an accident victim would be considered an admission of guilt.

From another source:

Quote:
Stranger helps victim. Victim doesn't have money to pay their own hospital bills for a serious accident and will lose their bicycle, house that's been in the family for several generations, and/or 30+ years of life savings just to pay their own medical expenses. This could also mean being forced to take your children out of school and put them on the street selling BBQ at all hours of the night or sending them to a factory making iPhones instead of getting an education. This will condemn their child to a life a permanent poverty without a good education. It's a terrifying situation to be in...

So the Victim will tell police and everybody else that the person that helped them was the person that commited the crime so they can get some financial help from the stranger that helped them. Naturally the police and courts tend to side with the person who has been made the victim and the person that came to the "rescue" now is expected to help pay some the victim's medical expenses and might even be convicted of the crime itself.

So what about the actual perpetrator of the crime? He flees. Why? For the exact same reasons strangers don't help. 30+ years of lost savings, a child condemned to work in a factory to earn pocket change, and losing a house that's been in the family for generations.

A serious accident in China is one of the few things that can take your ENTIRE family (grand parents, parents, children) from being in the middle-class one day to being in the lowest poverty range the next. It's terrifying and many people will do anything to prevent it, even running away from the crime or blaming innocent people to get money from them. Some people have houses that have been handed down to them from their great-great-great-grandparents. So now only are they losing all their wealth in medical expenses, but they could be forced to sell assets that their family has been accumulating for a very very long time, just because of one big mistake.
Another article describing these issues.

Though this seems like a China specific issue, I guess some of the reasons are applicable to us too. The fear of getting blamed for the crime, getting tangled in a legal systems which moves at a snail's pace, monetary loss etc..
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 11:55   #36979
BHPian

During our First Aid training in UAE, it was specifically mentioned not to touch any female victim without her clear permission. If she is unconscious, you have to take permission if there is any accompanying male, else wait for the professional medical team to arrive and do nothing.
adi.mariner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 14:49   #36980
BHPian

The car was doing reasonable speed in congested 2 lane road in interior Tamilnadu (State Highway 23, Thiruvarur district) when a motorcycle entered the main road without slowing down resulting in the accident. The motorcyclist was injured.

1. The motorcyclist did not slow down, stopped or looked before entering the main road.
It is so common for motorcycles to enter main road without slowing looking that I anticipate such idiots whenever there are side roads and slow down.

2. The motorcyclist did not wear helmet. He is lucky to have survived.

3. The car was doing reasonable speeds and was able to slow down and reduce impact.

4. Though unrelated to the cause of this accident, there were many obstacles, encroachments by vehicles on the roadside forcing the car to take middle of the road. There was a zebra crossing before the accident spot. In retrospect, the car driver could have further reduced the speed in that area as it is congested road with encroachments to the side.

5. The mob just helped the motorcyclist and didn't resort to any mob justice.

6.The car did not have Dashcam but the car owner is lucky to have this CCTV footage. Again and again, accidents like this tells us the importance of Dashcam in cars.
Arwin07 is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 16:06   #36981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
The car was doing reasonable speed in congested 2 lane road in interior Tamilnadu [...]

6.The car did not have Dashcam but the car owner is lucky to have this CCTV footage.
I'm not too sure the car driver is completely in the clear here. From the beginning of the footage (15s into the video) he's straddling the lane divider line. In fact it looks to me as though he's drifting further and further to his right in the seconds leading up to the accident. If you pause at the instant of collision it is clear that had the driver been not distracted / entirely in his side of the carriageway, the accident wouldn't have happened (the bike had fully crossed over to the other lane).

This CCTV footage might prove his culpability in my opinion.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 16:06   #36982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan265 View Post
P.S. Could you elaborate on your statement 'I thought I was watching a video from China'? I didn't get the reference.
The Chinese began moving away from helping accident victims post the Xu Shoulan v. Peng Yu case.

Essentially, the lady who fell, blamed the person who helped her by taking her to the hospital and asked him to pay for the medical bills. The court decided in favor of the lady/victim and held the Samaritan liable for damages, reasoning that despite the lack of concrete evidence, "no one would in good conscience help someone unless they felt guilty".

Although the laws have since been changed, it still keeps away people from helping each other in China in case of accidents.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xu_Shoulan_v._Peng_Yu
p..s the Wiki link has the original source but it's in Chinese, so using Wiki. Please don't treat this as an official news link coz I could be wrong.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 13:42   #36983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Like everyone else, I never wanted to be a part of this thread personally!

Sir just for reference what would be speed around?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th December 2022 at 14:12. Reason: trimmed quote
Old 9th December 2022, 23:26   #36984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnujKapur View Post
Sir just for reference what would be speed around?
Was at around hundred when I saw the cow. Had slowed down quite a bit - probably around 20 kmph when I did hit it.

My guess
sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 17:28   #36985
Distinguished - BHPian

Khandala ghat: truck's brakes fail.
condor is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 19:00   #36986
BHPian

Quote:
This shows the importance of why we need Runaway truck ramps in mountainous roads.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_truck_ramp

Arwin07 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 21:00   #36987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
To the best of my knowledge, HCV have pneumatic brakes. If there is no air in system, the brakes would automatically be applied. And if there is sufficient pneumatic pressure, the brakes wont be applied. This is exactly opposite of system we have in passenger cars. So in the event of brake fail the pneumatic pressure in the system will be lost and automatically brakes would be applied. This pneumatic system is also the reason why HCV would have to run for around 10 mins or so in the morning to build up pressure in system after parking the vehicle overnight.

So how exactly can it fail ?
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 22:26   #36988
BHPian

Witnessed a minor accident last week. Both the two-wheelers were in a hurry. The biker crossing did not even bother to check the adjacent lane. The scooter rider was also fast for the situation but he had the right of way. Luckily no damages.
Meph1st0 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 23:16   #36989
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

So how exactly can it fail ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

Heat from friction due to repeated use of brakes instead of using engine braking can cause them to completely fail.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 10:56   #36990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Buy a strong and safe car. Safety ratings do matter is what I felt after my incident. Things would've been different if I was in a Hyundai-Kia or a Maruti.

Chevrolet Beat is a strong goddamn car. No denying this fact.

Drive safe peeps
Saikishor
Good to hear that everyone in the car were safe. All credit goes to the seat belt! I don't think Chevvy beat is a well built car. It should be on par with Maruti or Hyundai of those times when it comes to build quality. I learnt driving on a Chevvy Spark and I was so surprised to see each and every body pannel were so flexible which I haven't even seen in an alto. May be beat is better built than the spark to a good extent.

We need safer drivers on the roads more than the safer cars. Yes, safer cars are very important but then with all those safety tech most drivers think they can driver crazy speeds and they will still be safe if at all they meet with an accident risking lives on the road.

All in all, drive within the speed limits of the road and be more responsible and sensible driver while holding the steering wheel.
bajoseph04 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks