Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2022, 18:48   #37051
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I don't understand the purpose of this statement - "glance over the shoulder" is to spot vehicles in the next lane that are in the blind spot. The auto was right behind, coming fast, and jinked right at the last minute. There was simply was no way to prevent it, by the car driver. There is no "defensive driving tip" in the world, that could have avoided the accident that we saw in the video.
So why are we BHP-ians always compelled to dish out some sort of "advice" all the time ?
Yes, the auto was at 100% fault here. I am in no way supporting the auto driver. He is as stupid as stupid can get. But there is a good chance that the good old "glance over the shoulder" by the Fortuner would have helped both parties here. I don't see why you are getting so excited about Thad's post.

Last edited by Theyota : 27th December 2022 at 18:51.
Theyota is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 22:15   #37052
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
Yes, the auto was at 100% fault here. I am in no way supporting the auto driver. He is as stupid as stupid can get. But there is a good chance that the good old "glance over the shoulder" by the Fortuner would have helped both parties here. I don't see why you are getting so excited about Thad's post.
Honestly, how many of us do the 'over the shoulder glance' everytime we are turning right in the city ? I admit I don't. I rely on my mirrors. The only occasion that I engage in the 'over the shoulder glance', is when merging onto a highway from a service road, or from a flyover down ramp.

That's why I am surprised at the suggestion that it ought to be done whilst making a right turn within the city. Speeds are much much lower, turns are almost always after coming to a stop/crawl.

My only Q is, even if the driver of the fortuner spotted the auto in his right ORVM just before turning, and assumes "an auto to my right, at this 90 degree turn, can only mean that the auto wants to divebomb on my inside into the 90 degree right turn, and overtake me like in an F1 race". That happens all the time, I'm sure all of us have experienced it. I know I would have assumed the same if I spotted him in my right ORVM, because if you look at the video, there are acres of space towards the left, the road is very wide, and there is no reason to believe that a guy who wants to go straight, will reject the wide berth on the left, and choose to squeeze past the right of a turning vehicle.

Last edited by venkyhere : 27th December 2022 at 22:16.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 23:44   #37053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Honestly, how many of us do the 'over the shoulder glance' everytime we are turning right in the city ? I admit I don't. I rely on my mirrors.
I often do. I also look over my shoulder to the left for the biker who is cutting the corner inside my left turn. But I absolutely admit that I also don't. And have been noticing that more since this conversation began.

There was one occasion when, about to take a left, I checked the mirror, gave a glance, and turned, only to find that a biker had sped into that gap even after I looked. When they are that determined, there's not much we can do about it.

As to regular use of mirrors, part of lessons with my Dad would be him saying, "Without looking in the mirror now, tell me who/what is behind you." I was supposed to know all the time. Do I now? I think you all know my answer to that.

We do need multiple pairs of all-round eyes for these roads. Or some super camera system. And that will have it's down side: one more thing to take our attention off the road ahead.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 07:32   #37054
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/pm-m...tv_m_topscroll

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le66310150.ece

That's a serious impact. Looks like a GLS?

Last edited by itwasntme : 28th December 2022 at 07:34.
Old 28th December 2022, 21:25   #37055
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There was one occasion when, about to take a left, I checked the mirror, gave a glance, and turned, only to find that a biker had sped into that gap even after I looked. When they are that determined, there's not much we can do about it.

We do need multiple pairs of all-round eyes for these roads. Or some super camera system. And that will have it's down side: one more thing to take our attention off the road ahead.
Bingo.
This was my point that I struggled to convey. You have articulated it perfectly. Sometimes, it's pure bad luck. Nothing that can be done if morons are super determined.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 14:40   #37056
BHPian

I really don't even know, because my primary focus is to keep eyes peeled on the road. Especially shoulder glance takes even the peripheral vision out of the equation, so isn't it just better to do ORVM/IRVM? At least that's what I feel. Or IMO 360 cameras might solve this to an extent.

PS: You can't really entirely avoid this, this crazy auto driver could have still ignored and done the same thing as I would have thought someone with half a brain wouldn't have done this. Especially when there's a lot of space on the left!
Old 29th December 2022, 17:19   #37057
Senior - BHPian

Driver skills and superior vehicle capability helped save lives of two bike fellows;

The report in Malayalam says that the incident occurred near Madhya Pradesh.
The bikers are super lucky because not one, but two trucks were successful in evading them, with the second one reacting almost with zero time buffer.

https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...to-driver.html

Few observations;
1. Bikers having no respect for own safety or others. No helmet as well.
2. Trucks occupying fast lanes on highways.
3. Almost tailgating driving pattern resulting in absolute nil reaction times.
4. Luckily there were no oncoming traffic as the first truck went onto the other side.
sarathlal is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 19:50   #37058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The bikers are super lucky because not one, but two trucks were successful in evading them,
Super lucky indeed! They were sitting ducks ready to be squashed.

Quote:
2. Trucks occupying fast lanes on highways.
I used to complain about this but after being in a cab of a mini-truck, I can say the heavy vehicles in our country absolutely cannot follow keep left rule unless they are in access controlled expressways. Quite a lot of intruders of various kinds get into left lane of a highway without even basic right of way knowledge or self awareness. Trucks will go nowhere if they have to stick to left lane.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 29th December 2022 at 19:54.
Yieldway17 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 21:04   #37059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Super lucky indeed! They were sitting ducks ready to be squashed.
They pushed the bike after the second truck stopped. Looks like the bike stalled while they are crossing the highway (probably user error). Ofcourse, that doesn't excuse their stupidity and irresponsible attitude. They started the bike and sped off without even bothering to apologize either truck drivers.

Last edited by deetee : 29th December 2022 at 21:07.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 22:44   #37060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
I really don't even know, because my primary focus is to keep eyes peeled on the road. Especially shoulder glance takes even the peripheral vision out of the equation, so isn't it just better to do ORVM/IRVM?
I'm trying to remember the British Driving-Test attitude to this one. It's been a long time, but I seem to recall that looking over the shoulder is mandatory when pulling out from the side of the road. I am less certain about lane changes etc.

However, I do remember vividly the day that I was about to pull out and side-swipe a van at 70MPH or more on a British motorway, because I had not looked.

I would always look when turning. I always look when turning right into my own gate from the left-hand side of the road.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 00:06   #37061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
..with the second one reacting almost with zero time buffer.
Not exactly. The second truck driver must have got some cues by noticing the brake light coming ON from the truck at front and that truck is trying to stop for some reason and diverting to opposite lane. So the second truck driver was prepared to brake and must have gone half way through the brake pedal and applied it fully after seeing the bikers. Else, it is impractical to stop a truck in zero time.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 30th December 2022 at 00:21.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 09:07   #37062
BHPian

Rishabh Pant met with an accident this morning and being treated at the hospital.

https://twitter.com/vikrantgupta73/s...4APCPDcCw&s=19

Car looks pretty bad. Hope he doesn't have any serious long term injuries.

Last edited by Bhargav7 : 30th December 2022 at 09:12.
Bhargav7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 09:45   #37063
Distinguished - BHPian

Dozed off, but seems like a lucky escape based on NDTV

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/rish...points-3649710

We have all discussed the dangers of driving without adequate rest on several threads. Remember having intense debates may be a decade ago with HVK fans for criticising his habit of pulling all nighters. Hope Rishabh recovers fully and soon - and let’s treat this as a lesson to rest adequately before any drive.
Hayek is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 09:58   #37064
Senior - BHPian

Cricketer Rishabh Pant met with an accident on Delhi-Dehradun highway near Roorkee border, car catches fire.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20221230_095817.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20221230_095820.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-smartselect_20221230100323_twitter.jpg

Quote:
Rishabh Pant's car met with an accident between Manglaur and Narsan in Haridwar district. He has been shifted to Max Hospital Dehradun after giving primary treatment at Roorkee Civil Hospital. Accident took place on NH-58 of Manglaur PS area
Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th December 2022 at 10:03.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 10:17   #37065
Senior - BHPian

I keep telling everyone around me never to drive in fog no matter how urgent it is. Don't know how true his dozing off reports are true but fog would have played a part in the accident. And what is with these media vultures showing pics of his leg, burns on back and head injury. There is literally no privacy in India for anyone even in such situations.

Hope he recovers soon. Out of danger now as per VVS Laman tweet.
harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed