Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2022, 21:01   #37096
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
Rishabh Pant met with an accident this morning and being treated at the hospital.
Rishabh Pant's video depicting the car crash and thereafter the car catching fire is horrifying and scary.

It is obvious that we need to make our driving safe, focused, disciplined, defensive and more compatible with the numerous expressways that are mushrooming and getting inaugurated one after the other. And we are at a fast rate graduating from one and two lane rickety, potholed highways to these new six and eight lane expressways.

The newfound freedom behind the wheels on these new expressways, if not kept under self - control will always be life threatening. The chain of high speed crashes mostly due to over speeding and thereafter the car going out of control are numerous.

- The Maruti owners and others driving cars with zero or one NCAP safety ratings at 120 kmph or more better watch out.

- And for those with cars even awarded a five star NCAP rating, but able to cruise at 150-200 kmph seamlessly are also threatening their lives.

We need to take cognisance of the fact that "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN".

Last edited by Aditya : 30th December 2022 at 23:43. Reason: As requested
anjan_c2007 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 21:21   #37097
BHPian

Just saw the video of Rishabh Pant's car accident. Surely a sad thing to happen!
I am surprised that no one is speaking about the speed which he was doing. From the video it appears to be quite fast. Glad that no one else was hurt.

Was he travelling alone?
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 22:17   #37098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automind View Post
sorry about the quality of the photos the photos were taken from my cell phone while driving.
If I understand this correctly, you were driving while you clicked the pic.

I think being a responsible Team-BHPian, you should apologize for taking a picture on your cellphone while driving as compared to the quality of the photos.
pandey.jai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 01:11   #37099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Well, they're also human beings and some of them may be fond of driving so no harm in driving.

They are also human, but more importantly, they are also significantly wealthy unlike most of us, who can afford a driver and this is all keeping in view of their safety. As Bhpians, we all expect from the drivers to take a break when they are exhausted. Same applies for them too. They can surely have fun, but not at the cost of safety.

Quote:
He wanted to surprise his mother.
So ?
Surprising his mother or father just seems some silly excuse and is not a justification for a high speed crash.

Quote:
As far as taking a driver is concerned, he can also doze off.
HASTY GENERALIZATION & SLIPPERY SLOPE Argument

Equating a professional driver with a normal one is not fair. You can hire the best surgeon and still the surgery can go wrong- does not mean you don't get the Surgeon.

Quote:
I never prefer a driver for my highway runs. But driving or taking a driver at such time can be dangerous.
Anecdotal, though I agree driving at "hour of the wolf" is extremely unsafe.

But when you are exhausted ( most probable situation, given packed schedules) and you must travel overnight in a car, having a professional driver chauffeur you is safer, period.

Last edited by poised2drive : 31st December 2022 at 01:41.
poised2drive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 02:36   #37100
BHPian

Rishab Pant suspected to have fallen asleep at the wheel in fiery crash

Team India cricketer Rishab Pant, 25, was involved in a fiery car crash, when he allegedly fell asleep at the wheel of his Mercedes GLE. Pant was the sole occupant in the car, and is stated to be out of danger, but has sustained deep gashes on the forehead, bruises on the chest and serious injuries to his knees and legs. The car apparently hit a divider and burst into flames. Passersby helped to get Rishabh safely out of the vehicle before the fire reduced it almost completely to ashes and twisted metal. It's unclear if Rishabh was belted in at the moment of the crash, and if the airbags deployed.

Accidents like this and the one that claimed the life of Cyrus Mistry capture the attention of people, leading to a discussion on safety measures before they get forgotten. I wish we didn't need to have so many deaths and injuries before people wise up and adopted safer driving habits.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/96620521.cms

Last edited by supermax : 31st December 2022 at 02:38.
supermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 06:09   #37101
BHPian

A freak accident is reported on Sarjapur Road, Bangalore near Wipro HO.

The car rear ended around 5 cars and a biker, didn't brake at all in the entire episode.

A Zomato delivery boy died in this mishap.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 12:34   #37102
BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/96635738.cms

And we have another one. The seemingly invincible vehicle is crushed like a soda can.

The poor bus driver and passengers of the bus pay the price of someone else's follies. One thing I can say, neither money, nor degrees, seem to improve a driver's behavior.
Old 31st December 2022, 12:38   #37103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
[

Attachment 2397165

Wishing him a speedy recovery
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/dont...ontent=bullets

But this news from NDTV shows that a bus driver had helped him and had called an ambulance to send Rishabh Pant to the hospital. And this bus driver had seen the car hitting the divider and overturning three to four times before it stopped.
So from where do these thieves come ?
DR Manabendra S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:17   #37104
BHPian

Yes, I absolutely agree we have to be responsible and alert "ANYTHING THING CAN HAPPEN"
Old 31st December 2022, 13:34   #37105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
Also, a Tweet form a sketchy news outlet states Rishabh was not wearing seatbelt. Wonder how was that known by anyone else other than the driver himself.
Belt pretensioner and retractor mechanisms would not work anymore thus if a person is belted up in a crash, post crash the seatbelt would be flopping about unretracted so it becomes fairly easy to say whether or not it was worn during the time of the accident. Considering he survived I doubt he wasn't actually belted up. I don't know who would survive such a high speed accident+rollover if not belted up. Besides the audible chimes that come in cars these days makes it pretty tough to ignore.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:59   #37106
BHPian

I have tried to search online but could not get any details whether a drug and alcohol test of Mr Pant was conducted soon after the incident.
Any information on that?
Old_Salt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 14:19   #37107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
The poor bus driver and passengers of the bus pay the price of someone else's follies
Must have been quite a severe impact considering that the bus driver died and 27 bus occupants were injured.
The report mentions that the car jumped over the divider and hit the bus head-on. Although the result is different, the pre-impact trajectory is quite similar to yesterday's Rishabh Pant crash i.e. driver lost control causing the vehicle to cross the median and go onto the oncoming lane. The only difference is that Pant was lucky to miss an oncoming vehicle, while this Fortuner's occupants weren't as lucky. Goes to show how fine margins play a massive role in crash severity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Belt pretensioner and retractor mechanisms would not work anymore thus if a person is belted up in a crash, post crash the seatbelt would be flopping about unretracted so it becomes fairly easy to say whether or not it was worn during the time of the accident.
This would be quite hard to prove considering that the seat belt itself would have burnt up. The only reliable way to detect belt usage would be to check the tongue position, assuming it is not moved during extrication. I hope the car's EDR survived the fire, or else a lot of data may be lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Salt View Post
I have tried to search online but could not get any details whether a drug and alcohol test of Mr Pant was conducted soon after the incident.
Any information on that?
Even if such a test was done, I doubt that report would be made public. The guy is a national-level cricketer and a role model for budding cricketers.
Rohan265 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 14:25   #37108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There's no substitute for a glance over the shoulder in those situations. Of course, the auto driver was still in the wrong. Glad no major harm was done, even though the collision with tree looks quite dramatic!
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I don't understand the purpose of this statement - "glance over the shoulder" is to spot vehicles in the next lane that are in the blind spot. The auto was right behind, coming fast, and jinked right at the last minute. There was simply was no way to prevent it, by the car driver. There is no "defensive driving tip" in the world, that could have avoided the accident that we saw in the video.
So why are we BHP-ians always compelled to dish out some sort of "advice" all the time ?
I don't understand the need for the strong aggression, particularly when you are quite wrong. If you really look at that situation, I'm not at all saying the auto driver wasn't fully wrong, but you are completely wrong in saying there's no defensive driving tip that could have helped. As Thad points out rightly, a blind spot check whirls have revealed the idiot. The fortuner might have had to miss the turn or wait a few seconds before doing it, but that could indeed have been avoided with defensive driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
There was absolutely NOTHING that could have been done on the Fortuner's part to prevent it.
The auto driver could have just passed him on the left like every other normal person which was wide open.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

He was trying to blame it all on my dad but every witness called his BS and defended my dad since usually in these situations the blame always goes to the person driving the "badi gaadi".

Even though it's his car, I have driven it through more tight, tricky, risky situations and saved it from countless morons going extreme right from extreme left and I admit that even I couldn't have save it, simply because what the auto driver did was so incomprehensibly stupid.
Your dad wasn't responsible for the accident, and the auto driver was incomprehensibly stupid, but there was absolutely something your dad could have done to prevent it; a final blindspot check. I'm fairly certain he'd have seen the idiot, and would have been able to take evasive action. Saying there was absolutely nothing he could have done is just being in denial
supermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 14:49   #37109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post

The poor bus driver and passengers of the bus pay the price of someone else's follies. One thing I can say, neither money, nor degrees, seem to improve a driver's behavior.
Can’t even trust these news media outlets reporting these days because in the morning a news channel claimed that the bus driver had a heart attack (and died on the spot) while driving which caused the crash.
AROO7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 15:44   #37110
BHPian

In light of the Rishabh Pant accident, one should understand that a sleepy driver should never even think of getting behind the wheel, add to that the low visibility conditions + disregard for safety by all road users, it is just a recipe for disaster.

Came back home from Delhi today morning and faced heavy fog, as expected. Had to stop at certain places due to 0 visibility. Was fascinating to see people still zipping past me even though conditions weren't suitable for even crossing 35-40kmph. Almost every car had hazard lights on throughout the trip as they very much aid in dissipating fog.

OT - I still cannot comprehend the hate for the 5th Gen Honda City's LED headlights. I've attached some samples from completely unlit highways. Yes, the foglamps are useless but the headlights themselves are quite good as per my experience, sorely miss the cornering lights though. Maybe my perception will change when I get to drive cars with fancier headlights.

Low- beam
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2022123114h41m00s438.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-yes.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2022123115h02m47s304.png

High-beam
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2022123114h53m33s899.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vlcsnap2022123114h53m40s334.png
Yash390 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed