Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 10:38   #37126
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Guys, I think we should:

1. Stop speculating like our typical media houses;

2. Start respecting the whole situation (that he is safe and it was an ACCIDENT). It can happen with any one of us.

Some of the points made about hiring a professional driver are hilarious. Shows how detached some of us are from reality. I, personally, trust my own driving over anyone else's, especially paid drivers who could be driving all day and then pulling an all-nighter, for all you know. Couple of years back, I was on a taxi going to the airport. The driver rammed into the divider as he dozed off. This was in the middle of the day. Thankfully, we were going slow so no harm done to anybody.

I am thankful that he is safe. He is an asset for our Test cricket team.
Pancham is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 10:40   #37127
BHPian

Motorcyclist hit a mini-truck doing u-turn in a median opening in Kangeyam, Tamil Nadu. Rider apparently was a 18 year old kid and died in the accident spot.

https://twitter.com/muthugg/status/1609077582905102337

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 1st January 2023 at 10:58.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 12:09   #37128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Some of the points made about hiring a professional driver are hilarious. Shows how detached some of us are from reality...
I think you are being over judgmental here. Because of a few bad apples you cannot dismiss whole profession/class of people. As humans our time and resources are limited and we form our view of reality based on our limited experiences.

Some time it is good idea to hire an experienced driver. My dad due to the nature of his work (related to hydro-electric plants) has to routinely travel to remote areas in the Himalayas. And has been using the services of a driver for several years now. What an amazing and safe driver. With unmatched mountain driving skills and local knowledge.
JediKnight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 12:25   #37129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
Please quote the source if you are making such allegations. Without a source, you are pandering to the media rumors and being one of them
Not media rumours but state of the metal railings.
This does not look like an 80-100kmph impact.
Attached Images

attinder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 14:18   #37130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
If Pant fell asleep, so could his driver. I 100% disagree with anyone who says, a professional driver could've been better. Why? Are professional drivers inhuman? Do professional drivers not sleep at night?
A “professional” driver would have never taken the wheel when he knew he’d be sleepy or would have taken a nap if he knew he had to drive later. He gets paid to drive as his main job and has the luxury of taking a nap when needed -which Rishabh Pant didn’t have.
StopUnderrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 14:34   #37131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthra View Post
1. Rishabh was driving fast but not at 150kmph or anything like that. Around 100.
Any source for this? Was this above speed limits for the zone?
Old 1st January 2023, 15:50   #37132
BHPian

Our driver has over 40 years driving experience and has been with us for almost 25 years now. I learnt driving from him. My cousin only drives across the country and almost has never been on a train or a plane since 2 decades.

They both and I sure many seriously experienced drivers have this simple golden rule, which I religiously follow.

"Never be on a highway from 7 pm to 7 am."
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 16:14   #37133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Motorcyclist hit a mini-truck doing u-turn in a median opening in Kangeyam, Tamil Nadu. Rider apparently was a 18 year old kid and died in the accident spot.
Similar accident 3 weeks back in Chennai discussed in this thread. RIP.
Both were over-speeding teenagers. Both are load autos taking U turn.
Chennai city road vs Tamilnadu SH172 four lane state highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=1fcU1Y68vlA

A 19 year old rider and his 17 year old pillion died in an accident in Chennai when they were riding at 114kmph in city roads. They skid and fell when a load auto took a U-turn in front of them. The load auto driver was arrested. The 19 year old deceased didn't have a driving license.

Two young lives lost because of their recklessness. RIP.

1. Driving above speed limits and that too at 114kmph in city roads is a recipe for disaster. Single important reason for crash.

2. Driving without a valid driving license.

3. Load auto misjudged the speed of the bike and took U turn. Vehicles take U turn inside cities while the road is not clear expecting the other drivers to slow or stop for them.

4. Dual channel ABS is must in motorcycles. Even if you ride carefully and within legal speed limits, dual channel ABS will ensure you don't skid easily.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 17:46   #37134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by attinder View Post
Not media rumours but state of the metal railings.
This does not look like an 80-100kmph impact.
Why such a heavy metal used for road medians, are they legal? they look like some kind of car slicers, any car hitting them will be scrap.
Old 1st January 2023, 18:10   #37135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Funny as it may be, why are there random barriers strewn across the road, especially in a curve? If someone dies or gets injured here, I hope they file charges against whoever authorised that.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 18:20   #37136

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
A “professional” driver would have never taken the wheel when he knew he’d be sleepy or would have taken a nap if he knew he had to drive later. He gets paid to drive as his main job and has the luxury of taking a nap when needed -which Rishabh Pant didn’t have.
I strongly disagree due to my experience. in India the the drivers and specially the cabbies would never admit to being anything less than 100 percent drivers. if its my family with me in my car i would rather be driving it . period. Done my fair share of stupid things on road . just realising the mistakes of past makes you a better driver than you were.
Carmine_pepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 18:21   #37137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Any source for this? Was this above speed limits for the zone?
The video clip showing the crash showed the car to be quite fast.

On another note, looks like Rishabh Pant regularly drove fast, if the following clip is any indication:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmyVdYtqYCs/
condor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 18:54   #37138
Hbh

Sharing yet another overspeeding accident filmed from inside the car.

There must have been lots of luck involved as only one out of five people died in an accident of a sedan with the back side of a truck at that speed.
Hbh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 21:33   #37139
BHPian

Honestly? A driver who dozes off is still worse than those "rash" drivers (in that scenario). Plus, celebs can afford to keep proper professional drivers who practice defensive driving. I don't think it's really that hard. It's easy to understand their driving patterns. We're just making excuses at this point.

Plus, from the link provided by condor indicates how he's bit of a rash driver. Which absolutely makes sense, he was for sure overspeeding at night with low visibility (by how much is a different question), looking at the impact - even if we forget the dozing off part.

I absolutely am OK with mistakes, and I have made my share mistakes of mistakes. But I've thanked my stars and have learned from each of those incidents and have rectified them. Even if it causes me inconvenience, I never drive myself unless I'm 100% sure that I'm fully alert. Or else I cancel the trip when I can't afford the chauffer.

Last edited by epiccross : 1st January 2023 at 21:58.
epiccross is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 22:56   #37140
BHPian

Rishabh should consider himself lucky that a) he was in a high end Merc so it saved him from a much worse outcome b) he is a popular celebrity so he is getting sympathy, a non-celebrity would have had an FIR probably for over speeding considering the CCTV footage.
Bhokal is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks