Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2023, 21:49   #37201
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Can't believe that a family man can also do such blunders.
Every Indian driver can be equally stupid irrespective of his level of education, wealth or social status. Just one takeaway from this clip, always slow down at intersections. The BMW driver will definitely take some time to heal from such trauma.
Yash390 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 22:05   #37202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That was a very chilling video, especially that kid walking off like that for no fault of his

Family men/women do these things daily and worse, repeatedly.

As I said earlier, roads near to schools in the morning just before and after the morning bell time, you can see herds of such people performing similar stunts in two wheelers with their own kids hanging from their backs without helmet and with a heavy school bag (there are even cars that drive at break neck speeds past walking kids! Yes they do!)

These are to be treated as criminal offences! (Or bare minimum, licenses should be cancelled)
Those kids, even if they are their own kids, do not deserve this.
sarathlal is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 22:11   #37203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The family man might be a great father (supportive, caring, etc) but has terrible driving sense, which has put his kids' safety at risk. Hope everyone is okay.
PS: A case must be filed against the two-wheeler rider for rash and negligent driving. Let him state why he drove against the traffic.
msdivy is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 23:06   #37204
BHPian

https://www.indiatoday.in/cities/ben...554-2023-01-10

Metro pillar falls on biker, kills mom and child in Bangalore.
Old 11th January 2023, 00:29   #37205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
That was a very chilling video, especially that kid walking off like that for no fault of his

Family men/women do these things daily and worse, repeatedly.

As I said earlier, roads near to schools in the morning just before and after the morning bell time, you can see herds of such people performing similar stunts in two wheelers with their own kids hanging from their backs without helmet and with a heavy school bag (there are even cars that drive at break neck speeds past walking kids! Yes they do!)

These are to be treated as criminal offences! (Or bare minimum, licenses should be cancelled)
Those kids, even if they are their own kids, do not deserve this.
Can't agree more. Especially on the situation near schools. Many a times, you would be waiting in the que to see some parent in a car driving in the opposite lane to get ahead - irrespective of the price of the car. If it's a Fortuner, all the more. . Less said of two-wheelers, the better.

Quote:
I think the abundance of life and the prejudiced mindset of the public often laying the blame on the Car gives these two-wheelers the kind of stupid confidence they show. They are uber confident that the car will brake to halt to avoid an accident. It is just another form of corruption in the society where you can't expect even the police to be of help as we often read about these kinds of crashes. It is an insult if I call this lack of driving sense or civic sense - I'm sure each person indulging in such dangerous driving behavior is aware of the consequences but they still do it.

All the more a reason to advocate defensive driving skills. Slowing down at intersection is always advised. I think the BMW did fairly well or was it just the car slowing down uber quick?
theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 01:30   #37206
BANNED

Quote:
I disagree, he is no family man! Just because man can make kids doesn’t make him a good father. I travel 60-70 kms daily in Kerala, I see lot of these type of ‘family’ men who will end without family. The way Keralites drive, only rank idiots would attempt such stunts to save few hundred meters of right way riding and instead ride like this. But one would be surprised by the number of people doing this repeatedly. I can post videos of such idiots daily, but that won’t make any difference.

I have given up on the hope that Indians will ever drive/ride in a right way. It may take another 80 years if we teach our next generation about road manners, that is if we start this year! Hope year 2101 would be a great year for road users!!!
The Rationalist is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 02:47   #37207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
... if we start this year!
This has been said since my first year with T-BHP, and probably much much longer.

But my wife, who has been Indian for the sixty-plus years of her life, can remember a time when people were afraid to go out on a a bicycle without a light, due to the fear of being caught by police! In her lifetime, a sense of obedience to law on the roads has been replaced by, at best, organised chaos.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 10:27   #37208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once again, the risk of what can happen when one foregoes the law/common sense for the sake of convenience

Instead of spending a few extra minutes going on the right way and then taking a turn at the designated point, many choose to drive on the wrong way.

It does not matter whether it's a kilometer or a meter, wrong side is wrong side!
deathwalkr is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 14:54   #37209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Yes exactly, the rating is just a number and indicates the degree of safety the car affords. The rest depends on multiple factors plus luck and providence.

Like if one is wearing a bullet proof jacket, he must not take liberties to callously roam in a zone which is teeming with gun-toting shooters.
HaHa: Analogy of the year award!

What I fear is that people use safety features, from ABS to star-rating, as reasons to be able to take more risk. Buying a "safer" car so that they can drive more dangerously
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 15:39   #37210
Senior - BHPian

A lucky escape for both the riders. What a reckless driving by the mini truck driver, is it a Mahindra Maxximo?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-736cf5e732f244edb06b2f007f61e78c.jpeg

Last edited by ecenandu : 12th January 2023 at 15:41.
ecenandu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:13   #37211

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
A lucky escape for both the riders. What a reckless driving by the mini truck driver
One cannot contest with a lunatic and expect to emerge unscathed. Ridiculously poor driving with scant respect for fellow travellers
This happens only because police fail to take appropriate action for small accidents. This emboldens such reckless drivers.
I for one, try to stay either ahead or behind them (not that we always have such a choice). Really heartening to know that the 2 wheeler riders are safe.
ts75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:15   #37212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post

I think the BMW did fairly well or was it just the car slowing down uber quick?
The BMW stretched his luck. Instead of braking he was hoping the bike will turn away from his path. He was at roughly 35kph even when he struck the bike. All of us Indians (myself included) are somehow hard wired to swerve rather than to brake early in anticipation.

I think it's the BMW's pedestrian (Vulnerable Road Users protection) rating that saved the people. EuroNCAP mandates that a pedestrian struck roughly at 40kph should survive

https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-...n/head-impact/

" To estimate the potential risk of head injury in the event of a vehicle striking an adult or a child, a series of impact tests is carried out at 40 km/h using an adult or child head form impactor. Impact sites are then assessed and the protection offered is rated as good, adequate, marginal, weak or poor. "
StopUnderrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 09:17   #37213
Senior - BHPian

An accident I saw under the Mandya bypass. The tractor carrying hay played an important role in blinding both the drivers.

Skip to last 2:20 for the incident.

tharian is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 14:02   #37214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
.. tractor carrying hay played an important role in blinding both the drivers...
A consistent observation is that all Tempo/Force traveller drivers are extremely rash (constantly honking, speeding in conjusted traffic, wrong side overtaking, highly impatient to get through at any cost).
After all their desperate road manners, you'll find these Force travellers cruising at 80/85 kmph on the highways unable to any faster due to the vehicle's power limits.
A vast majority of all folks in general are highly impatient while driving on our roads. There is no medal to be won, nothing precious to be gained by saving that 5 minutes or an hour by risking everyone. Hope this realization dawns on our road users.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th January 2023 at 14:10.
for_cars1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 14:40   #37215
BANNED

Quote:
It indeed is a sad turn of events for the poor BMW guy!

I would take this moment to reiterate the usefulness of horrible horns on our roads. One simply can't get people to refrain from stupidity with sweet sounding pleasant horns. A brief blast from dual compressor twin trumpet truck horn will make folks take notice and avoid putting lives at risk. But, yes, one needs to be extremely judicious in using them.

I have made the capability to handle train horns to be the top priority in my next car!

Most Viewed