Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2023, 12:35   #37261
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
Is there a rule that a driver must slow down at a zebra crossing? (Not being a smart-arse, just asking as I do not know. Where I live, you have to be vigilant when you approach one and stop IF there is a pedestrian about to cross or is crossing, but there isn't an explicit requirement to slow down if there are no pedestrians).
MV Act mentions this:

"The driver of a motor vehicle shall slow down when approaching at a road intersection, a road junction, pedestrian crossing or a road corner, and shall not enter any such intersection, junction or crossing until he has become aware that he may do so without endangering the safety of persons thereon."

As I mentioned before, driver of the car is solely responsible for this accident. Remove scooter and replace it with a child who deboarded from this bus and then think who is responsible.

Driver should have slowed down. He was overspeeding. The article has the school principal's comment that they installed this set up as a deterrent for vehicles such that they slow down, but it appears it is not working.

If someone is driving recklessly, without any regard for warning signals, speed limits, rumblers, school zone, slowly moving bus which just deboarded passengers etc., nothing will work!

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 21st January 2023 at 12:37.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 12:53   #37262
Senior - BHPian

While I completely align with the view points of MT_Hyderabad, it is also welcoming to see the authorities ditching the 'bigger vehicle is at fault' in evaluating the situation.

There are too many, 'I will drive however I want, you take care of me as well' folks driving around. They are the ones who cause 90% of the accident and mostly get away with it as well.
A very recent such example from this thread itself: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5478441

Slightly off topic:

Personally, I have felt that the rumblers are being used for all the wrong reasons and there is no clear indications/guidelines prescribed for its thickness.

Infact its even counter productive because if one happens to ride over these rumblers at 20-30 Kmph, it will literally shake the hell out of the vehicle, whereas coasting over it at around 60 Kmph is much more smoother. So motorists who know about these (especially the daily commuters) are known to coast them over rather than slow down, completely defeating its purpose.
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 15:23   #37263
BHPian

Having a dash cam has become a necessity. This incident happened to me around midnight 2 days ago. Onlookers immediately tried to blame me for hitting the scooter. One not-so-gentleman even said he saw me hit the scooter with his own eyes
Fortunately was able to show them the footage and leave it unscathed.

Accident at 0:44 seconds

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2023 at 08:29. Reason: Adding time in the video :)
harshaguduru is offline   (162) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 16:12   #37264
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshaguduru View Post
Having a dash cam has become a necessity.
Very true. Just curious - did the rider also claim you had hit him or he was decent enough to clarify otherwise?
Axe77 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 16:15   #37265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The goa police have registered a case, ONLY against the 2-wheeler rider.

https://www.thegoan.net/goa-news/nuv...ads/94076.html

To a question, Maina-Curtorim police station in-charge, PI Ravi Desai informed the police has registered the case against the Activa rider since he was allegedly found crossing the road at the zebra crossing meant for pedestrians.
I watched the video multiple times. And this one looks more like a T or Y junction than a crossroad. Still, I can't understand how the car owner gets away. Possibly it's just the technicality that the scooterist was doing what he's not supposed to - crossing a road like that. Personally I still can't see how the car driver gets away - technically someone will have to prove he was driving beyond the speed limits, which may not be feasible? And that it can't be proved that the car driver didn't slow down nearing a crossing? Confused. Totally.
theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 16:24   #37266
BHPian

This was my experience a week ago on Hyderabad-Vijayawada Highway. My vehicle was rearended near RTA Checkpost. Luckily no injuries as I insisted on my family to wear seatbelts.

Front View of Dash Cam

Rear View of Dash Cam
RaviKBobba is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 16:27   #37267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Very true. Just curious - did the rider also claim you had hit him or he was decent enough to clarify otherwise?
He was in shock. I think he assumed I had hit him because the 3-4 people who accumulated started narrating the same, and did not let him speak. If you see the video, the bike guy overtook me at around 50kmph from the left with no helmet on. He is lucky he was able to walk away. Once I proved my innocence I left the spot. The injured guy was ok, nothing life-threatening so I did not want to linger.

Last edited by harshaguduru : 21st January 2023 at 16:30.
harshaguduru is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 17:02   #37268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviKBobba View Post
Front View of Dash Cam
http://Youtu.be/KXlxErAnpyk

Rear View of Dash Cam
http://Youtu.be/W9qPvxeUXhw
Sorry to tell you, but because of you the Duster occupants could have lost their lives.

They were not maintaining sufficient distance from your car (although it was as much as you were maintaining from the swift), but you stopped abruptly when there was enough space to make the stop more gradual.

Their only fault was, that they expected you to complete the move which you initiated. Imagine what you did was done by the swift ahead of you. The truck would have crushed you instead.

The question to ask: Why did Swift overtake the truck when it saw what you saw, but you didnt?

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 21st January 2023 at 17:05.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 17:30   #37269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
The question to ask: Why did Swift overtake the truck when it saw what you saw, but you didnt?
From timestamp in video, the incident occurred on a day when huge number of Pongal travellers to AP from Hyderabad take to roads. There will be less experienced and impatient drivers on the road that day. Difficult to tell who is who. Especially at that border checkpost which comes at a chokepoint , unlike toll plaza with wide spread out, one has to be very careful and think ahead.
It was fortunate that this is not a down ramp and truck is not gaining speed or running in neutral.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 18:05   #37270
BHPian

Quote:
This was my experience a week ago on Hyderabad-Vijayawada Highway.
Thanks for sharing the videos. If I'm in your place, I would've let the truck go on the right lane, instead of trying to squeeze in that gap as I will not have any crash avoidance space on my sides and I need to use only the space in my front as an escape route but there's a barricade ahead. There is a risk of rear-end by having a truck on our tail on during heavy traffic on highways at toll gates/barricades as they need some time to stop.

Recently, I faced a similar situation on NICE Road, where a truck saw barricades and started moving to left lane,I had a split second window to stop, but considering the traffic behind, I proceeded.

A Creta was in front of me on left lane and he didn't saw the barricades and tried to move to right and when he saw that, he aborted his move and moved to left lane.

I have no space on front and had to take an evasive action and finally it ended up well.

Cross posting from other thread here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5477408 (Your near-miss experiences on the road)

Quote:
Sorry to tell you, but because of you the Duster occupants could have lost their lives.
Agree with you, when you are unsure of going ahead, its not required to change lane.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 21st January 2023 at 18:34.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 18:17   #37271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was my experience a week ago on Hyderabad-Vijayawada Highway.

http://Youtu.be/KXlxErAnpyk

http://Youtu.be/W9qPvxeUXhw

Trucks need much longer stopping distance as compared to cars, the duster behind you should not have changed lanes without adequate space ahead of the truck.
You are not fully clear either, there was no need to stop suddenly just after changing lanes ahead of the truck, you should have gone ahead decelerating gradually, then given the indicator and changed lanes.

The truck is wrongly in the RHS lane, but as there is another truck in LHS lane ahead he will claim he was on the verge of overtaking it with cars taking LH overtake and changing lanes.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 18:50   #37272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. you stopped abruptly when there was enough space to make the stop more gradual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
You are not fully clear either, there was no need to stop suddenly just after changing lanes ahead of the truck, you should have gone ahead decelerating gradually, then given the indicator and changed lanes.
Come on, that is way too harsh. He tried overtaking but saw the Swift slowing down for that barricade and aborted the overtake and was waiting until he get some space to get back on the lane. And if the GPS speed to be relied, it shows only 30Km/hr when he stopped. How is it abrupt? I would blame whoever kept that barricade on the right lane first. And then the truck behind who must have been seeing all this evolving in front of him and still didn't anticipate to slow down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
I would've let the truck go on the right lane, instead of trying to squeeze in that gap
I guess the truck was way behind for him to watch out for it or give way for it.
balenoed_ is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 19:17   #37273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Come on, that is way too harsh. ...
Completely agree. Remember, it is always the fault of the rear-ender, even if the driver in front does something unpredictable or stupid.

The Duster driver is not really the rear-ender here, as their car is pushed by the truck. The truck, with a literal overview, should have been aware and prepared.

One lesson here is never to just follow through with an overtake.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 19:30   #37274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Come on, that is way too harsh.
Not just harsh, but wrong!
In actuality, blame should go to the truck driver if the rule of the car behind is applied , and the duster. OP slowed and stopped, the duster just slammed on it's brakes in the trucks path.
mayankk is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 19:49   #37275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Not just harsh, but wrong!
In actuality, blame should go to the truck driver if the rule of the car behind is applied.
Totally agree on the first part.

But I wouldn't blame the truck driver, solely because Duster was cutting across the lane here.
OP is well within his rights to abandon overtaking when he encounters any surprise ahead. Also, he had left enough distance between his vehicle and the truck, that would have allowed the truck to stop in time.

If Duster driver would have been patient, and waited for a sufficient gap between OP and the truck behind, there is no rearending here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks