Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:03   #37336
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
While I fully agree with you that no car is designed to take such a heavy impact and therefore cant be judged ,
The forces involved in real life situations is much different than what GNCAP tests.

Here's a crushed Fiat Linea.

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...ified-4804553/

Every accident is different, every situation is different in terms of forces, impact angle, weight distribution ( is the weight distributed in the truck or concentrated at one place) etc.

We cannot be prepared for every situation. The best action would be to be aware of the risks and drive carefully.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:18   #37337
BHPian

Quote:
So it may have been a miracle, luck or whatever but it has happened.
People have survived unimaginable circumstances. There were instances people surviving in plane crashes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
We cannot be prepared for every situation. The best action would be to be aware of the risks and drive carefully.
I don't see how one could have avoided this accident. The truck driver is completely at fault. That car could have been just parked at the edge of the road and still be part of accident.

This is not a unique accident, and it is happening quite regularly now. Unless fleet owners are shown some strong hand, it will keep happening. For every such accident, RTO should stop the fleet for 2 weeks and make them go through hoops to get the permission back. Also, that truck should never be released back to owners.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:23   #37338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
It was quite devastating. The husband and father is our regular morning badminton player living at the same neighbourhood.
Looking at those pics, I cannot help but shudder. I can only hope and pray the end was quick and painless

When will people on road realize that they carry a huge responsibility not just towards themselves but to all the others on the road as well.

Really really sad stuff.
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:46   #37339
BHPian

Quote:
While I fully agree with you that no car is designed to take such a heavy impact and therefore cant be judged , we have a case in the past where occupants of a Fiat Linea survived a truck carrying stones/ construction debris that toppled over its roof. So it may have been a miracle, luck or whatever but it has happened.
I believe that you are referring to this accident, posted way back, in the same thread. And if you see those pictures, it is evident that these accidents cannot be compared. In the case of Linea, the truck fell mostly on the front 1/3rd portion of the car and the materials then poured down on the car. In case of this accident, the entire truck and its weight fell directly on the car. It was a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, I'd say; plain unlucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Every accident is different, every situation is different in terms of forces, impact angle, weight distribution ( is the weight distributed in the truck or concentrated at one place) etc.
Bingo! You just cannot compare two accidents because of the factors mentioned above. The dynamics of every accident is different.
A350XWB is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 18:22   #37340
BHPian

A concrete mixer Lorry weighs around 25 tons, and the heaviest Car in India, without bullet proofing will be around 2 - 3 tons. Add to that, the Mixer can carry 5-7 tons of concrete, plus there will be a Water tank, to spray and keep the concrete moist (In case if the mixer lorry was loaded). The only way, any car can take it is not having direct impact, that's called luck in some situations.

Over-confidence may lead to Titanic situation.
jaaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 09:51   #37341
BHPian

Live accident caught on camera, I don’t understand when people who are on wheels drive sensible. What on earth was the person thinking before making this senseless manoeuvre

Note - skip to 6:42

Last edited by vvivek85 : 4th February 2023 at 09:52. Reason: Added time
vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 11:02   #37342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Live accident caught on camera, I don’t understand when people who are on wheels drive sensible. What on earth was the person thinking before making this senseless manoeuvre

https://Youtu.be/gvr5pn4Ef2Y

I regularly drive between Noida and Chandigarh. The maneuver that was done by the car is a very common issue for accidents on this highway. I was also hit by a scorpio in a very similar way however since I owned a Dzire my bumper was ruptured. To overtake the drivers risk overtaking in small gaps between the cars/busses.

Now whenever I am under situation where I see someone overtaking from the left, I actually let go off my accelerator so that the gap between the two gradually increases and the person trying to overtake from left does not cause an accident.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th February 2023 at 18:48. Reason: typo
sunbaj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 11:29   #37343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
Now whenever I am under situation where I see someone overtaking from the left, I actually let go off my accelerator so that the gap between the two gradually increases and the person trying to overtake from left does not cause an accident.
I always slow down (reasonably, of course) whenever someone tries to overtake, because I'm constantly scared of stuff like this happening. Side benefit is avoiding getting hit by idiots like these.

Also, what an idiotic maneuver by the car, what on earth was he thinking! That too between two trucks. Nearly got sandwiched there. Idiocy knows no bounds.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th February 2023 at 18:49. Reason: quoted post edited
epiccross is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 13:02   #37344
BHPian

The Driver tried to squeeze and change lanes like a Ferrari in Movies, but that's all VFX effect and not in reality. Also, a general perception with Indian drivers is that, once their body crosses, they can jump into other lanes. Once needs to calculate the gap in between two vehicles and also speed at which they are travelling.

Same thing happens with 2 Wheelers too, which is more dangerous. We, 4 wheeler drivers often have to slam on the brakes in City traffic.

I don't see any mistake by the Trucker as he was in his lane and cruising.

Last edited by jaaz : 4th February 2023 at 13:04.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 14:33   #37345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post

https://Youtu.be/gvr5pn4Ef2Y

Is this genius recording on his phone's front camera while driving?!
N.A.GTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 16:18   #37346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Yes. He is friends with this fellow. They all drive with phone in one hand.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 18:53   #37347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
...once their body crosses...
To be clear (and supportive of your point), it's often their body, not their steed's.

They get the split of their derriere ahead, and just barge over!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th February 2023 at 18:54.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 19:17   #37348
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
The most oxymoronical thing ever... dishing out advice on safe driving whilst using a cell phone camera to film the road ahead and one's own face doing it.
The accident recording was done by rear dashcam.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 20:10   #37349
BHPian

My friend's Nissan Kicks met with minor accident, looks like other driver was sleepy and jumped signal. I think my friend didn't see right side as it was green for him and there were vehicles already moving infront of him.

Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo20230111120753.jpg  

ramki.grandhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 22:33   #37350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
looks like other driver was sleepy and jumped signal.
Looks like he was more than sleepy. He doesn't just jump the signal, he tries to cross a stream of moving traffic.

Lucky that the damage is not more, but it is enough.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks