Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2023, 14:01   #37456
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Got this on Twitter. The Creta pressed accelerator instead of brake and already doing a close tailgating of Polo.
Everyone involved was unlucky as there was nothing they could do in split of a second.

Except for the Creta driver whose license should be cancelled and should be put behind bars for reckless driving. Auto occupants would have got injured as it took a bad hit. Lucky for the dashcam driver airbags were opened so injury will be less.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th February 2023 at 14:25. Reason: Typo
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 11:20   #37457
BHPian

I don't have any pics, but here is a text of an accident I had - for your consumption and to employ safety measures.

So, a few months back, I take my car to a detailer for interior detailing. They clean the car, and park outside the shop, facing the wall. (Note: This place is on its own private property and not beside a road.)

I get into the car, start the engine, put in the reverse, look into IRVM, and release the clutch - before I know it, the car zooms back, I try to brake, but it's a little too late. By the time car comes to a complete stop, it just touches a brand-new car, parked behind. The parked car's bumper reflector comes loose, my car is intact. The other car doesn't suffer from any visible damage. (It had been handed to the detailer for detailing/coating and the owner had left.)

Since the detailer also has its own garage, they say they'll fix the other car and ask me to be careful.

The mistake on my part was, I did not check the seat position before starting the car. All these washing places, typically have a habit of pulling the seats as far back as possible for easy reach to clean the interiors. When I started driving, I was so far from the pedals, I couldn't release the clutch pedal in a controlled fashion, and I could not exert enough pressure on the brake pedal in time to stop the car.

Learning: adjust/verify your seating position, before you start the engine after you take the car back from garages, washing centres, tyre shops, valet services, etc. I was lucky that time to escape with a negligible brush to a parked car, but it could be severe, had it been a different place with people around.
akshye is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:11   #37458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post

Learning: adjust/verify your seating position, before you start the engine after you take the car back from garages, washing centres, tyre shops, valet services, etc. I was lucky that time to escape with a negligible brush to a parked car, but it could be severe, had it been a different place with people around.
It was a lesson for sure, but curious that you didn't feel the seat was pushed back as soon as you sat on it. I can notice if the seat has been adjusted even a bit in my car and I made a mark on the rail so I can adjust it to the original sweet spot.
tharian is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:26   #37459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
... but curious that you didn't feel the seat was pushed back as soon as you sat on it...
I sure should have, but I was not careful enough, as I was not backing onto a busy road. I did not take it seriously, thinking, I'll reverse the car, as the shop staff wanted the place to be vacated. Then, once I take my car aside, I'll adjust everything they've changed (steering, mirrors, etc.), and inspect the job and the belongings, before I leave the place.

Now that I mention it, even the mirrors were not in the right position for me to spot the car parked on the other side.

Last edited by akshye : 1st March 2023 at 14:27.
akshye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:56   #37460
BHPian

Spotted an accident on Gurugram - Faridabad Road at around 11 a.m. A drunk driver driving the Alto, with half emptied bottle in car itself, hit the left divider at the start of the flyover and spun. The following car, although in a different lane, couldn't swerve or brake in time and crashed into the first car. The inebriated driver was hurt and bleeding, was taken to hospital.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 16:02   #37461
BHPian

An HRTC bus skidded and overturned today on Kullu-Shimla highway.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-334259287_189699087015051_5630569814725742069_n121.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-333876962_2255071008007113_5590294884261745347_n11.jpg
It was raining today. Speed and wet road surface may be the reason.
https://www.facebook.com/firstverdic...78510508883753
trippytragopan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 17:06   #37462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
It was quite devastating.
Dashcam footage of this accident is shared on Twitter today.

https://twitter.com/CitizenKamran/st...663664640?s=20

The road is so narrow, they don't have enough shoulder space to escape too.

From the footage, it looks like even the Venue was driven fast.
chaitanyakrish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 18:45   #37463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshye View Post
The mistake on my part was, I did not check the seat position before starting the car. All these washing places, typically have a habit of pulling the seats as far back as possible for easy reach to clean the interiors. When I started driving, I was so far from the pedals, I couldn't release the clutch pedal in a controlled fashion, and I could not exert enough pressure on the brake pedal in time to stop the car.
From an early age, I was taught a belts-and-braces method of starting a car engine.

1. Check that gear lever is in neutral (this is part of the British driving test)
2. Depress clutch
3. start engine.

I have never thought about it before, but step 2 would also tell us if the seat has been moved and our feet are not in the right place for the pedals. It is, in itself, a good reason to practice this extra-safe routine.

It is also part of my practice to use the mirrors a lot. That is another way to become aware that they and/or the seats have been moved.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 20:05   #37464

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
It is yet to start collecting toll, and already seen 100+ accidents till now. There's no sudden lane closure, no surprise intersections, last time I drove, I didn't see cows also. And it is mostly a straight stretch.

This talks so much about our driving skills.
Clearly, drivers are not paying attention or are not following safe driving practices. There is a serious problem with the driving culture in our country. I have driven on this stretch multiple times and have seen my fair share of rash driving here. Drivers should make a conscious effort to drive safely.
Old 1st March 2023, 20:38   #37465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post

https://twitter.com/CitizenKamran/st...663664640?s=20
From the footage, it looks like even the Venue was driven fast.
Definitely looks fast for a 2 lane undivided road. On this type of road I personally would not have driven at more than 50 kmph. Both drivers were driving fast for the road conditions.
abhishekjoshi84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 23:38   #37466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishekjoshi84 View Post
Definitely looks fast for a 2 lane undivided road. On this type of road I personally would not have driven at more than 50 kmph. Both drivers were driving fast for the road conditions.
It does look like so. But really if I were in the lady's shoes and see a truck hurtling towards me, even at 20kmph, I would have possibly died of a heart attack. Really, I think it was completely the truck driver's fault.

And very sad to see two lives lost. Even sadder to read about the travails the husband went through later. The one odd time when I really feel the need for a vigilante like Shehenshah, who can punish such greedy folks, or the perpetrators who show least respect to humans, alive or dead.
theabstractmind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 15:39   #37467
Distinguished - BHPian

The news report describes the gory accident in which a scooter rider was killed. The headline reads "Navi Mumbai: Man dies after scooter rear tyre detaches near Khanda Colony". A very unfortunate and sad accident it was, wherein the rider was killed due to such a freak mishap.

The reporters usually report about all non geared scooters as "Scootys"!

And the headline says "tyre detaches", whereas the report text reads "rear wheel came off". The reporter evidently cannot differentiate between a tyre and a wheel!

https://www.freepressjournal.in/amp/...ource=inshorts
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 01:08   #37468
BHPian

Happened in January, posting now. My dad driving from Manesar to Delhi in the afternoon and, met with an accident in our 2019 Corolla Altis. He was doing around 75kmph and a Maruti Ertiga cab with 9 people in it, decided to enter the highway and tried to merge to the right-most lane (where our car was being driven), without any blinkers or even slowing down/looking. As a reflex, my dad slammed onto the brakes (luckily no one was behind the car), but it was too late, and he had to swerve the car to the right to hit the divider, and meanwhile the ertiga hit him from the left. Everything happened in a fraction of seconds. No one was injured, everyone walked out. The car was sent to Toyota, and repaired within 15 days. The total bill was around 5 lakhs 80 thousand rupees, which was covered by insurance. The Ertiga broke both its axles, as it hit the divider later from the front, and from rear the corolla hit.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3ba9bc05d72147e7987adb8a309e835c.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7aff9fbf32154b7f91068e4048107a47.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-41688b82649c4ba4a76b2d5a13c21892.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-c0039fa6eb1f4dbc9cb44df7b8e0170e.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dcab4de43b14401ca23af561ec4ab942.jpg
adigup is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:21   #37469
BHPian

A genius on a Tiago

Nalin1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 20:06   #37470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
The way that auto just got flicked off the road! I've seen way too many autos rolling over and flying away, I always advise my family to avoid travelling in them..
I don’t know why we can’t just phase out these dangerous contraptions from our roads? Their cost is nearly equal to a small but much safer and more comfortable car. There should be a phased ban on these 3 wheelers where they are eventually relegated to only local commutes and not allowed on any major roads.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed