Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2023, 10:59   #37546
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
2) Were the tires in good shape?
3) Were the tires able to handle the additional load of 5 passengers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
It also shows that though these expressways have increased mobility and are convenient to commute through, but at the same time these come with lots of riders for road safety.
This article states a tire burst caused the accident. Also, I would probably assume the driver was over speeding and some (if not all) of the passengers weren't wearing seat belts.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 14th March 2023 at 11:00.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 11:27   #37547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's a city street.
Welcome to our nightmare highways where one city/town ends another begins! We are one big connected city here and while we pride ourselves on being one of the most literate states in the country, sadly that does not translate all that well into common sense!
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 11:53   #37548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Six, including minor, killed in accident on Samruddhi Mahamarg in Maharashtra's Buldhana | Pune News - Times of India https://m.timesofindia.com/city/pune...w/98578843.cms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Here are a few questions -
1) Wasn't the car overloaded? Were no concerns raised at the toll booth?
2) Were the tires in good shape?
3) Were the tires able to handle the additional load of 5 passengers?
4) Did the driver fall asleep?
5) How was the car driven?
6) Did a team of experts analyse the causes and submit a report for prevention of such accidents?

A point to note here is that the driver was belted and yet he died.
An early news report in the Mid-Day Mumbai edition on Monday (13 March '23) morning tells a somewhat different story compared to the news articles on the Internet, and even Mid-Day's own website. Here's the image of the article, which can be zoomed in and read:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-samruddhi.jpg

The report publishes the names of all the occupants of the car, who belonged to the same family. It states that the driver apparently dozed off at high speed, and has an eyewitness account of what happened. The vehicle hit the guardrail and toppled across the divider into the opposite side of the road. The driver was alive and moved out of the car, and was not found dead with his seat belt on, as the other reports state. The passengers were ejected from the car, which points to non-use of seat belts, and the roof of the vehicle was apparently ripped off. The eyewitness also states that the arrival of ambulance was delayed.

I wonder whether the expressway has rumble strips on the margins to alert drowsy drivers of lane departure (those who have travelled on that road can confirm). Also, a well-designed and -constructed guardrail is not supposed to allow a crashed car to topple and/or move over to the opposing lanes, even when struck at very high speeds. That the car was overloaded and driven at high speed by a drowsy driver is certainly the first cause of the crash and the deaths, but a well-designed expressway + quicker emergency services could have saved at least a few of the lives lost.
SS-Traveller is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 14:07   #37549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by On4Wheels View Post
Another horrific accident involving KSRTC Bus.
Based on the investigation done on the accident, licenses of both drivers (KSRTC and Xylo) are suspended. They also cancelled the fitness certificate of the bus.

The following report states that the investigation details are handed over to the police for further action, where a case is already opened against the KSRTC driver.

Source: https://www.manoramaonline.com/distr...suspended.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Welcome to our nightmare highways where one city/town ends another begins! We are one big connected city here and while we pride ourselves on being one of the most literate states in the country, sadly that does not translate all that well into common sense!
And complete lack of empathy to fellow road users.
The way certain folks stare back after performing absolute blunders on the road makes one think that these fellows do not even know basic rules of driving.

An unfortunate situation caused by issuing licenses without proper evaluation and certification process. Such a huge price to pay for everyone!

Last edited by sarathlal : 14th March 2023 at 14:10.
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 14:19   #37550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
An early news report in the Mid-Day Mumbai edition on Monday (13 March '23) morning tells a somewhat different story compared to the news articles on the Internet,
I wonder whether the expressway has rumble strips on the margins to alert drowsy drivers first cause of the crash and the deaths, but a well-designed expressway + quicker emergency services could have saved at least a few of the lives lost.
Above everything else, we need to understand the human factor here. Transport is not easily available in those areas and hence overcrowding is not rare. Since the eway is new in the area, there could be lot of people who are not used to such high speeds for sustained amount of time.

Third factor is drowsiness, rather than driver everyone in car should be aware of this fact and should ensure driver is well rested and not pushed to drive without adequate rest..

People take time to adjust to new things such as this eway, however one thing authorities have no where to hide is 45 delay by ambulance.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 14:42   #37551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
People take time to adjust to new things such as this eway ...
Yes, we do.

But doesn't that mean that we should approach such things with extreme caution? That, for instance, speeds should be kept low until one is accustomed to the environment?

Also, one should always drive according to one's current state, taking into account any illness or tiredness.

It's easy to forget, but we must not forget. Only a couple of weeks ago I had to go out early (for me) in the day. My wife sometimes complains about my slightly zippy driving style, but not that day: I knew I was tired and not having full alertness. However, on the return journey, I thought I was ok. On a narrow street, I clipped wing mirrors with a parked car; a rude awakening to the fact that I had forgotten my own rule that, only three hours previously, I had been rigidly practising. No harm done. But it could have been.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 22:58   #37552
BHPian

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2023 at 14:04.
shankarbn is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th March 2023, 23:09   #37553
BHPian

Regarding the KSRTC accident, I'm extremely puzzled by members of this forum arguing for equal blame on this accident. There are always several hypothetical factors or scenarios for an accident to happen but they don't carry equal weightage.

"If Xylo driver had stayed at home, KSRTC would have passed just fine, so let's blame Xylo as well". Where does it stop?

In any country with a proper driving enforcement and a functional and non-colluding insurance industry, the fault will be assigned 100% to the KSRTC driver.

There are no what-ifs at all to consider. If the KSRTC driver stayed to the left of the yellow line, he doesn't take the blame. As he not only encroached it, he basically thought of it as his own bed to spend some time there, it's no one but him to blame.

Defensive driving is not a factor for identifying who is at fault from a legal pov which is what some esteemed members here seem to be not considering. Could Xylo have been more defensive? Yeah sure, all of us could be defensive all the time but that doesn't mean one have to take fault for such an eggrigent transgression of road rules by the bus driver.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 14th March 2023 at 23:13.
Yieldway17 is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 04:51   #37554
BHPian

@ shankarbn

I don't think we should be that rude to a person who is sharing what he learnt with others. Do you think he will repeat that mistake again?
If you cannot appreciate the effort or the intention of the post, at least don't depriciate. This discourages others from sharing their experiences aka mistakes.

When I drive my wife's car, I do adjust the seat. However, sometimes in a hurry (like kid's bus waiting at the society gate), I spend much less time adjusting it, which means that I do not do it properly.

There are people who view the road 'through' the steering wheel, as the seat does not have height adjustment, but they want 'big SUV'. They adjust according to this lack of adjustment. I reserve my rants for them.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2023 at 14:05. Reason: Quoted post deleted
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 07:43   #37555
BHPian

An accident on the roads of Chennai

This is not one of those gut wrenching horrifying accidents. Its a very light one, with very minimal injuries to both parties. This post is just highlighted, to show the nature of new bikers.

I was driving home in my car from college. I started climbing a flyover. The flyover had 4 lanes in total. There was a bus on the left and decided to overtake the bus. To my dismay, there was a bike in front and hence, i could not overtake the bus. After 30 seconds of being on the right hand side of the bus (near the right rear bumper), i heard a sound and a crash. Assuming it was some plastic bottle or some item discarded from the bus i didnt care for half a second. For some reason i looked at the IRVM and noticed a royal enfield hunter rolling down the flyover.

I slammed on the brakes as soon as i realised what happened (after checking for other riders of course) and stopped my vehicle. I had a friend along with me, who did most of the talking. The perp turned out to be a junior from the same college i go to. After some friendly scolding and checking for injuries ( which were minimal) we then left.

Now this accident may be tiny. The fact here is that, my generation has become so non intuitive and impatient that they ultimately lead to mishaps. The kid was behind the bus the whole time, looking for an opportunity to overtake it. He said that he thought i had lunged forward to overtake the bus and assuming that i was far ahead, he swerved right, in order to join the right lane (without looking) and met my rear bumper with surprise.

It was a brand new RE Hunter too. It was disheartening to see the kid's face. Fortunately the bike had minimal injuries too. The brake lever was bent inwards. That was solved with the hands of another collegemate.

Car drivers, please be on the lookout for cases like this. Not all people might be understanding. The kid could have blamed me for it. Others might. Please be on the lookout.

Bike riders. You know what to do. Even a small kiss from a car can mean life or death. Please be careful.

Last edited by shresan23 : 15th March 2023 at 09:07.
shresan23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 09:04   #37556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Maruti Ertiga with members of two families totalling 13 ....... met with a serious accident in Mehkar Tehsil in Buldhana dist killing six occupants, incl the driver, four ladies and a kid. ... it's evident that these types of accident-prone drivers are giving a damn to such road safety riders.
While I pray for the departed souls, I feel they are fully responsible for what happened. Who loads a 7 seater car with 13 passengers? Its a mishap waiting to happen. I seriously feel those who don't deserve cars shouldn't be allowed to buy.
I am glad no bystanders/ other vehicles were hurt. It would have been really unfortunate for someone else's lives being taken due to the sheer stupidity of someone else.
Expressways cannot be called killers. The irresponsible users who drive rashly are always the killers of their passengers and others in some cases.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 10:16   #37557
BHPian

Came across this unfortunate video on social media.

Is the grand vitara supposed to crumple from the top of A pillar to B pillar like that? This personally raises serious questions for me about the rollover protection provided in this car.

Vkap257 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 11:37   #37558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkap257 View Post
Came across this unfortunate video on social media.

Is the grand vitara supposed to crumple from the top of A pillar to B pillar like that? This personally raises serious questions for me about the rollover protection provided in this car.

https://Youtu.be/_2Fd3Q6sgPw
I suppose it's by design as Maruti brags about

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crumple.jpg

Source : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ple-zones.html (Maruti's latest safety ads brag about its crumple zones)
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:01   #37559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Here is a higher resolution video.
https://Youtu.be/wEhQx1Vm7xs
Having a closer look at the video, IMO people putting the blame on white car is wrong, looks like the chap in the white car slowed down to take a left, also if you look at the video closely the parallel distance between the white car and the bus is too much, as per the video the KSRTC driver had already planned to overtake the white car at 00:18 (Please note we are taught to not overtake on curves), by at 00:22 the bus was almost 80% out of the yellow line, also note that the Xylo came in the frame at 00:21 and at 00:24 the bus driver saw the incoming car.
The fault lies with the bus driver(and his stars)

As someone who drives in a bigger/larger vehicle the sense and onus of the responsibility to drive carefully directly falls on the driver, this thread is filled with reckless and dangerous driving of KSRTC bus drivers. Its high time KSRTC officials wake up and do something about it.
udzgodfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 12:43   #37560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udzgodfather View Post
also if you look at the video closely the parallel distance between the white car and the bus is too much,
The bus is driving as per the 6th Commandment, video at 1:09 below.

Ref: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...tc-driver.html (The 10 commandments of homicidal driving | By a KSRTC driver)
msdivy is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks