Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2023, 09:49   #37651
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodash View Post
A significant judgment and observation by Bombay High Court.

Driving at high speed alone will not attract offence of rash and negligent driving: Bombay High Court

I'm not sure whether this will stand scrutiny by bigger benches or Supreme court, but I thought it's worth sharing here.
Another case of clickbait headlines. The court made much more significant observations than what's highlighted on the website. I haven't gone through the full judgment, just quoting from the text of news. Will read the judgment later.

Quote:
“No doubt he said that Tata sumo came speedily. It has to be appreciated on the basis of other available materials,”

“It is really strange state of affairs, when such matters are conducted neither Investigating Officer has prepared a map/rough sketch, nor trial court has taken pains in recording directions correctly in the evidence. If there is some confusion, the trial Court could have clarified it from the witnesses by putting questions which is permissible by law,”

“It is true that the consequence of the accident are the death of the one bullock and the bicycle driver. For want of evidence, the trial court could not come to the conclusion about rash and negligent driving by the respondent. Even this Court is unable to come to that conclusion for the above reasons”, the Court held.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 10:07   #37652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
The damage is such that the entire rear bumper needs to be replaced.
My question to members is that - When I claim insurance to get the rear bumper replaced (recent incident) can I also get the front bumper replaced (entirely different incident
Shouldn't be a problem as such. Please ask your SA to create a story-line around rear impact pushed your car and it hit another stationary vehicle in the front, damaging both the bumpers.
OR
If the rear damage seems minimum that it'll unlikely cause your car to move forward due to the impact, you can create list the cause of the accident as sudden braking by the vehicle in the front, causing rapid braking manoeuvre, and in the sequence, got rear-ended by another vehicle.

Quote:
it got damaged a year back but I was waiting for a claim opportunity to come up to get it replaced)

However, if the front bumper was impacted a year ago, and you have renewed your insurance in between the two events, it is likely that the front bumper claim will be rejected, should the insurance renewal activity already having accounted for the front bumper damage (but unclaimed). If not, you can very well claim for both bumpers in 1 go.
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:31   #37653
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I searched his license plate and voila, found 9 unpaid challans, 1 for no seatbelt, 1 for overspeeding, 2 for disobedience and 5 unmentioned ones. Some people just never learn.
I'm really sorry about your situation. Could you please let me know how to check the challans online? I have tried Googling it but I was unable to find a straightforward link. The one I found is asking for the chassis number or engine number. Is it possible to check it without such data? If yes, please share as it would be helpful.
Old 22nd March 2023, 12:36   #37654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Should not be a problem if you tell them to write it as a rear ending leading to front collision causing damage to both bumpers.
Yes I had the same thought. I was just waiting for the forum's moral police to question my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyl87 View Post
Depends on the policy too. When I got my car repaired last year, I was able to file two separate claims (one for back and one for front). Had to fill two incident reports, and the claim numbers were also different. I was suggested to do that by the SA, as I had an AIG policy, and according to him this is a benefit only in AIG and a couple of others where they take upto two claims together. I couldn't claim under one as the damage was from two seperate incidents and it was very apparent with the placement of the damage too. I was hesitant at first, but it all went smoothly. You may want to check with your SA at the workshop and hopefully he can guide on it better.
In my case, the only issue is that I had the front bumper touched up in the last service so as to hide the ugliness. I'll see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Shouldn't be a problem as such. Please ask your SA to create a story-line around rear impact pushed your car and it hit another stationary vehicle in the front, damaging both the bumpers.
OR
If the rear damage seems minimum that it'll unlikely cause your car to move forward due to the impact, you can create list the cause of the accident as sudden braking by the vehicle in the front, causing rapid braking manoeuvre, and in the sequence, got rear-ended by another vehicle.
However, if the front bumper was impacted a year ago, and you have renewed your insurance in between the two events, it is likely that the front bumper claim will be rejected, should the insurance renewal activity already having accounted for the front bumper damage (but unclaimed). If not, you can very well claim for both bumpers in 1 go.
The front and rear damage are such that they can easily be possible in case a vehicle gets sandwiched between 2 other vehicles. This is the only plausible explanation in case I want to file a single claim. Now I recall that the video inspection I submitted on Policy Bazaar when renewing my policy very much contained the front bumper clearly. Hope this doesn't affect my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
I'm really sorry about your situation. Could you please let me know how to check the challans online? I have tried Googling it but I was unable to find a straightforward link. The one I found is asking for the chassis number or engine number. Is it possible to check it without such data? If yes, please share as it would be helpful.
Thanks !
I use an Android device so I enter the license plate number on this app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rinfo&hl=en_US which shows the challan number and amount (but not the violation details) and then enter the challan number on this website - https://echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan . This website shows the entire receipt and also, in most of the cases, the photograph of the violation. You can try this if using an iOS device - https://apps.apple.com/in/app/rto-in...n/id1456256225

Closing question - In my special case, should I file a claim with my insurance company first or consult my ASC's SA (for fabrication of the story) first ?
Yash390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 13:25   #37655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
The confidence at which that pedestrian crossed the Zebra indicates there is a high possibility he is a Gulf return (or plain stupid) . I am currently living in Dubai and if any car as much so as enters the zebra when a pedestrian is crossing, you get a hefty fine Period! You end up causing a minor accident to a pedestrian when he has right of way to cross (walk-green) you can jolly well forget your freedom to live!

Either that person was accustomed to that safe life, or was just plain stupid to stroll across a zebra hoping traffic will stop for him.

On a side note...
Today morning I read this in paper and was wondering what could the poor drivers have done differently if they are cruising at 80-100Kmph and someone decides to walk across a freeway! And still be made to pay blood money!

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/uae/cri...d-over-dh66000
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 16:40   #37656
BHPian

Might be old one, came this as forward in one of the whatsapp groups.
Looks like driver was able to survive, mostly because his side didn't take much impact.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-file.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2023, 18:15   #37657
Senior - BHPian

And the drama continues to unfold for another day.
Four lives (3 on scooter, and one of bus driver) saved just by quick reaction of the bus driver.

Too many wrongs here;
Triples on a scooter
Most likely underage (no license) rider
No helmet
Dangerous crossing of a junction

sarathlal is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:30   #37658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
And the drama continues to unfold for another day.
Four lives (3 on scooter, and one of bus driver) saved just by quick reaction of the bus driver.

Manassery, Mukkam - this means those kids are most likely students of KMCT group of colleges that is situated in that location (from the looks of that uniform). Such irresponsible behavior was regular from these students even a decade ago when I was in Kozhikode.

The speeds at which Kozhikode private buses are driven, these kids should be lucky and counting their stars for walking away from an incident.
krishnakumar is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:19   #37659
BHPian

Why is this being reported??

No damage done. So it is business as usual in India. This scenario unfolds every two seconds on our circus roads .
Nalin1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 19:35   #37660
BHPian

Quote:

The damage is such that the entire rear bumper needs to be replaced. My question to members is that - When I claim insurance to get the rear bumper replaced (recent incident), can I also get the front bumper replaced (entirely different incident, it got damaged a year back but I was waiting for a claim opportunity to come up to get it replaced) ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a United India Assurance zero-dep policy. I know we have to come to terms with our country's pathetic drivers but still it is very unpleasant to look at your car scratched and banged from all 4 sides.

last year's front bumper scar
Attachment 2431693
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=LLv11ZN1X2s
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=9ARD-Gx42zs

There are two aspects for getting the vehicle repaired under insurance here.

1. Just as BoneCollector has described, you could tell the surveyor that when your car got hit from the rear, it went & banged up ahead. If the guy is considerate, he would oblige & get it covered.

2. If you are saying the front hit is a year old & if the car has seen a monsoon in the meanwhile & if there's a rust formation (however little) found on the open banged up metal, he would clearly tell you the front incident was of an earlier instance & would not be counted ( coupled with this) here as it belongs to an earlier academic year & will not be covered. I am saying this from my own experience.

Wishing you best of luck for the repairs (After all, we pay out of our nose to get all those ZD kind of additions as insurance premiums)
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:11   #37661
BHPian

Another one from Kerala. Why we are seeing so many accidents from Kerala? is it because they've more dashcams/cctvs or increased average speed because roads are good?

ramki.grandhi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 12:05   #37662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Another one from Kerala. Why we are seeing so many accidents from Kerala? is it because they've more dashcams/cctvs or increased average speed because roads are good?
Oh man. That's a scary tumble.

I think you would probably be one of the first person to say average speeds in Kerala are high!

CCTV spread is pretty good across the state and in some key areas cops visit houses and requests the house owners to put up CCTVs there.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 12:14   #37663
BHPian

Quote:
Average speeds are not high in Kerala. Not at all. But yes, the roads are good. Sure, they are narrow. But the roads are very well made in many parts of Kerala. That plus the winding roads with crests and falls invite such useless bikers to go crazy!

Here the fault is 100% with those bikers! There are plentiful of such chaps who make a job out of riding rashly and putting them up on Insta for some social media love. Their "reels" are obnoxious to say the least but other useless chaps lap it up and head out to create their own versions of these.

The above is one of the key reasons why helmet cams were banned in Kerala if I'm not wrong. Although the reason cited IIRC was that non-OEM modifications to helmets are unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
in some key areas cops visit houses and requests the house owners to put up CCTVs there.
True! My parents recently fixed CCTV at our house in Trivandrum because it was widely recommended by the cops.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 23rd March 2023 at 12:16.
krishnakumar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:43   #37664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Why we are seeing so many accidents from Kerala? is it because they've more dashcams/cctvs or increased average speed because roads are good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I think you would probably be one of the first person to say average speeds in Kerala are high!
He is the first I have heard say that Kerala roads are good! That the road surface is well maintained is another matter: if this is what causes the recklessness then better they give it up to potholes. Save money and lives?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 15:51   #37665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He is the first I have heard say that Kerala roads are good!
Just wanted to clarify, I'm from Bangalore and my expectation of a "good road" is way too low. I'm a simple man, if I dont see pothole, i'm happy. We go for short drives towards TN or AP, just for the sake of experiencing pothole free roads. Or for the sake of listening to my engine sound in higher gears without breaking my suspension.
ramki.grandhi is online now   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed