Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 09:20   #3886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
As per the news it is said that the Sumo driver tried to avoid colliding with a truck in front of the vehicle, the driver of which had applied brakes suddenly, after seeing a cow crossing the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive View Post
I think we should also look at other aspect of safety :
• Highways should be provided safety from cows or other animals.
@longDrive
On expressways and some highways there are fences installed for the very reason - not allowing stray animals on the road. But the sad part is villagers themselves cut/break/remove the fences so as to have a quick access to the other part of the road. This then leads to accidents where cows/dogs/cats come on the road and then there is a panic braking.
Old 21st November 2009, 10:58   #3887
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
So thats like saying - the lack of ABS and poor stability of this Ferrari was cause of this Accident. Right?

Recently, I see more and more Indians starting to have a superstitious belief that ABS is god given gift that saves lives. They are demanding all kinds of safety features in their cars, but they still wont give up rash driving! DUH

I have to say let them learn their lesson the hard way.
At least it is a step forward if not anything else! There are still some people who buy the top-end variant of cars (Loaded with safety features such as airbags and ABS) and they exchange these safety features for a pair of fog-lamps or a spoiler or an accessory of some sort. They believe that Airbags are not covered by insurance and they are expensive to replace and hence, don't get them in the first place(!) Absolute idiocy IMO!

It's a rather sad attitude this! If they demand safety features, it's one step forward to say the least!
Old 21st November 2009, 12:31   #3888
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, it's safer to run over whatever decides to come on the road if you know there's no way to get through safely otherwise, hell with the car itself. Atleast you still destroy whatever piece of fat decides to put your life in danger rather than just ending up with a busted car, injured self and other occupants, and a villager with a smirk on his face.
Old 21st November 2009, 12:36   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive View Post
I think we should also look at other aspect of safety :
• If the maiden divider on the road would have been there.
• Highways should be provided safety from cows or other animals.
Adding up one more importatnt...
  • Tail gating. Keeping safe distance is very important.
  • Tail gating overtake. Cos u cant see the opposite vehicle.
  • Limiting your speed limit though our car can do a very high speed.
Old 21st November 2009, 13:54   #3890
BHPian

Here is the pic of an accent which i took in workshop.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-16112009010.jpg
Old 21st November 2009, 14:42   #3891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
In other words if we have an ABS equipped good handling car we will never have an accident and anyone owing such a car can never end up dead.

ABS , NICE handling cars do not save you for sure.It is the judgment , knowing the limit's of yourself and the car will keep you safe to a much further extent.
please read and understand the complete sentence
i meant lack of ABS was the cause of "This" accident.
the possibility of survival would have been higher if the car was "well equipped"

About the Ferrari
i should say there is a lot of difference between driving at 50 mph and 200 mph.
Old 21st November 2009, 14:45   #3892
Distinguished - BHPian

In UK, it is said that it is always your fault if you run into the person in front of you, however unexpected their action may be. You are expected to keep enough distance to stop if they do. I heartily concur with that. Interestingly, in surveys of most-annoying driving habit in others, tailgating tops the list!
Old 21st November 2009, 16:08   #3893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In UK, it is said that it is always your fault if you run into the person in front of you, however unexpected their action may be.
Its a thumb rule which is being followed everywhere. I assume so.

Its your fault if you run in from rear or from left side (in india). I don't know whether this is legally correct but does make sense.
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:57   #3894
BHPian

Saw this Karnataka State Road Transport Bus which had jumped a bridge to land on the shallow river below, between Tarikere and Bhadravathi.
Cause suppose to be the sleepy driver at 3.00 AM in the morning today. Two people have lost their lives and 18 others injured.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02863_1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02865_1.jpg
May their souls RIP.

As per press report
Two killed, 18 injured in mishap in Karnataka - dnaindia.com

Last edited by Sathyagith : 22nd November 2009 at 22:01.
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:04   #3895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathyagith View Post
Saw this Karnataka State Road Transport Bus which had jumped a bridge to land on the shallow river below, between Tarikere and Bhadravathi.
Cause suppose to be the sleepy driver at 3.00 AM in the morning today. Two people have lost their lives and 18 others injured.

Attachment 232723

Attachment 232724
May their souls RIP.

As per press report
Two killed, 18 injured in mishap in Karnataka - dnaindia.com
That's terrible! It's shocking and very absurd to find a bus below a bridge like this! Were these pictures taken after it was rolled back on? Was it rolled on it's back or side in the first place?

Very shocking to find it on its tires!
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:07   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
That is really sad man! Lucky Juin di escaped unhurt!
Looks like minimal damage to the engine bay.But still,60K setback is bad,real bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Estimate for repairs is 60K.
Predatorwheelz I guess that this estimate is from some TASS.
Seems some higher side but not impossible if the radiator & a/c condenser damaged.
Please post a scan copy of bill when you get it.
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:11   #3897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
clearly a lack of ABS and poor high speed stability of this Tata was the cause of the demise of those 11 people.
What can ABS do in a head to head collision? I doubt even Airbags can!!
Old 23rd November 2009, 05:31   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
What can ABS do in a head to head collision? I doubt even Airbags can!!
Airbags with seat belts can reduce the impact to certain extend. Most of the time the the impact will throw the occupants out of the vehicle, which causes serious injury. Proper usage of seat belts could have saved some of them

may their soul RIP
Old 23rd November 2009, 06:31   #3899
BHPian

Air bags are meant to reduce the injury after impact and the ABS is meant to help steer the car while braking, there by giving an opportunity to avoid the impact.

While both are desirable features to have in the car, the best safety device would still be an alert safe driver

Just my 0.02.

Rajan
Old 23rd November 2009, 07:39   #3900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Thanks guys. My wife held on gamely till the time help arrived, fighting off the locals as well as the irate Innova crowd.

Ah, the Innova story. At the time of impact, there was a driver and 2 (early 20ish) girls in the Innova. All 3 got down and started shouting at my wife. One of the girls demanded that she hand over her DL and reg papers to them. Another claimed she had called the police (Why????). My wife refused to bow down and matched them shout by shout (hail the vocal powers of Bengali women). The locals were the icing on the cake, refusing to let both parties go (presumably as they couldnt figure out who to extract more money from). Within 5 mins the Innova's real owner also arrived and joined the party.

So by the time my FIL and I reached, it was my wife against an army. As stated, we shooed the crowd off first.

Then the Innova owner walks up to me and starts demanding money. "Its your wife's fault, she was the car behind" and similiar bullcrap.

Firstly, I didn't think it was her fault. Secondly, I dont think too kindly of people who get together as a family (driver in tow) and try to strongarm a single woman. All this was communicated to the owner in not too subtle words, as was the "polite" request to back off. He did, thankfully.

The wrecker arrived in 10 mins, and took us to the garage. That was the end of the drama.
Hey Predator: Sorry to know about the mishap. At the end that nobody got hurt is what matters.

On the car front, does look like a major damage with interior structural member also seems to be affected. But hopefully insurance will take care of it.

Last edited by bblost : 24th November 2009 at 14:04. Reason: foul word in quoted post replaced. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks