Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:57   #4021
Senior - BHPian

Oh my ! Thats an expensive mistake on the part of the drivers. Looks like the the first two cars have relatively lesser impact than the other two. Sheer recklessness.

Hope these are not unregistered new cars for we may have a gullible customer becoming a scapegoat.
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:04   #4022
BHPian

Picture Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Pune: Just saw an accident on the road leading from SPICER College towards Ambedkar Chowk (Bopodi)....
Late update, just got this picture for the reported accident from "Fast Lane"
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nov-pune-accident.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2009, 18:14   #4023
BHPian

Ouch! No one can have survived that. Did this car fall from a height or what ?
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:04   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
[COLOR=black]This happened on 27 Nov 2009. It was a bright and sunny day and I was driving towards Miramar after passing the Kala Academy, when four Volkswagens (One Passat followed by three Jettas) whizzed past me. [/COLOR]
Can't imagine what the owner might be going through.
THe swift on the other page. The locals are getting
their act together to gather the parcel tray loaded with speakers
The Verna on this page is simply unimaginable. the front compartment is flat.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:48   #4025
Senior - BHPian

The Verna seems to got flattened under the bark of the tree. No airbag could do anything here.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:37   #4026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The silver Jetta is looking at an airbag replacement. Should set him back by 1L if not more.
I am even more curious, why that black one's airbag didn't deploy?
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:08   #4027
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
I am even more curious, why that black one's airbag didn't deploy?
Trigger sesnros are a fucnction of speed and impact detection. In this case, there probably was no speed and it was near stationary
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:10   #4028
Senior - BHPian

The totalled Swift on the previous page was hardly two weeks old. Imagine the plight, after waiting for months to get hold of the car and then this happens.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:08   #4029
Senior - BHPian

i hope the swift guy is ok without any major injuries and that is the reason why the right side(near the shoulders) is always best for heavy vehicles or shouold be used only when overtaking IMO
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:18   #4030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
[COLOR=black]This happened on 27 Nov 2009. It was a bright and sunny day and I was driving towards Miramar after passing the Kala Academy, when four Volkswagens (One Passat followed by three Jettas) whizzed past me. [/COLOR]

[[COLOR=black]I heard skidding (I have ABS equipped car which does not make that noise) so I am assuming that they did not have ABS and the drivers were wearing IFFI badges and t-shirts and looked more like valet drivers (not VW personnel) on a joy ride. Further none of the car’s in front of these four, tailgated so I guess this was pure careless driving.[/COLOR]
Must have been a good treat for the eyes. I wish I was there to witness that and the immediate reactions of the drivers. Can you write more on what happened post-pileup?

VW Jetta and Passat without ABS? I don't think so. ABS should be standard in all of them.

I once test drove Swift Zxi, breaked hard and I could hear a little tires screeching noise, even though ABS was there.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd December 2009 at 16:20.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:25   #4031
Distinguished - BHPian

I get that too, with my VDI... I seriously wonder if the ABS actually works!

Hmmm... offtopic <Blush>
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:56   #4032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Must have been a good treat for the eyes. I wish I was there to witness that and the immediate reactions of the drivers. Can you write more on what happened post-pileup?

VW Jetta and Passat without ABS? I don't think so. ABS should be standard in all of them.

I once test drove Swift Zxi, breaked hard and I could hear a little tires screeching noise, even though ABS was there.
I was parked on the left side of the road taking the photos, that was blocking the traffic so had to move further and take the rest of the pics. The moment I started to do that, the first two drivers got in an stepped on the gas, the last two had more damage and the drivers were standing oustide frantically calling people.

**** happens and I did not want to cause more misery so I moved along. But I am really surprised that these cars did not stop in time especially the last one considering they were doing only around 60 kph.

You are right, I read all these cars come with ABS. You get a rumbling sound when an ABS equipped car is breaked hard. I thought I clearly heard screeching noise, but I could be wrong.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:10   #4033
Team-BHP Support

Any car makes a screching noise when braking ABS or not as it is using as much tractio to stop
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:40   #4034
Senior - BHPian

Will those VW drivers be fired now ??? or worse
Old 4th December 2009, 00:38   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
The silver Jetta is looking at an airbag replacement. Should set him back by 1L if not more.
I am thinking should the air bag not deflate some time after the deployment? Is the Jetta not equipped with air bag off switch?

My Swift zxi too screehes under hard breaking especially at speeds around 80 kmph. Also under emergency braking at speeds around 40-50 kmph the brake pedal holds at a certain position when pressed and held, it then seems to travel further inwards as the car comes to a full stop. Is this normal? has anyone else experienced something similar with an ABS set up? Does the Swift zxi have brake assist?

Most Viewed