Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 17:16   #4321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
If it isn't commuted, two years is a pretty long time.

Imprisonment is correctional in nature and should not be used as a punishment.

I guess it's more to deter next person from committing similar crime.
Old 28th December 2009, 18:21   #4322
BHPian

Palio 1.9D Home Crash

Home Crash Report

My Cousin a 9th class student then, was a lot interested in learning to drive i guess.

He ignited the car when nobody was at home trying to learn it by himself and you can see what the climax was.He crashed in to the walls.

It was a 2003 Palio 1.9D which i had owned and now sold.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pc-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pc-2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pc-3.jpg  

Old 28th December 2009, 18:23   #4323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
IMHO 84 MPH is too fast (above legal limit) on any road except for some part of german auto bahn. The legal limit on a dual carriage way/motorway (read it as not in CITY) is 55 MPH-75 MPH (varies between US and Europe) from that perspective 84 MPH on a city road is intolerable.
Thats correct. The speed limit in the US varies between 60-70. At 90 you can be straight away arrested without any questioning whatsoever and license suspended for 6 months.

In most driving in cities 80-90 mph happens on most motorways inside the city trunk roads also. There was a study done in Atlanta that on the I-85 highway, which cuts through the city, the average speed was around 85 mph.

to cut it short, its like driving 80 kmph on 60 kmph speed limit. The margins are the same the roads and cars are different. But the risks are just as high.
Old 28th December 2009, 18:33   #4324
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
The Audi-i10 crash is horrible. May the deceased's soul rest in peace.

German cars are hogging the news for all wrong reasons. First BMWs, and now Audi. Am yet to hear about an Accord or Camry ( capable of nearly same speeds ) crashing as a result of rash driving.

Digressing here, i10's build quality appears flimsy. Audi A6 is a sedan and not an SUV and yet it ripped open i10's body-shell like a tin can while only bonnet of Audi appears damaged. I am sure an Indica or Palio would have held much better under the same impact.
Here are some photos of the i10 after it was hit by the Audi in Gurgaon.

shah i10 02 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

shah i10 01 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 28th December 2009, 18:55   #4325
BHPian

Lets not be dependent on what goes on in the US for each and every situation!

Indian speed limits should be established according to local conditions and should be much slower.

There is better driving environment with similar density in countries like Japan or Korea that India could learn from. Or, instead of learning from someone else, India should learn from herself.

Last edited by aerohit : 28th December 2009 at 18:58.
Old 28th December 2009, 19:02   #4326
Team-BHP Support

That Skoda belongs to someone who came with some bhp-ians on track
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I guess that this has happened in the city limits & driving at speeds in excess of 13O kmph Also I do not see any relation to education or richness with this accident. He does not have enough driving skill to handle the situation & would have just floored the pedal without foreseeing the consequences of such high speed when the capable vehicle offered it.

My heart goes out for the poor i10 occupants family.
Several factors to consider

1: Speed was excessive no doubt. Any road that is designed for 120 kmph + should not have any crossings in the first place

2: The i10 might have pulled out to cross and not seen the Audi or misjudged its speed

3: The audi never used the ABS. If he braked and steered, there might have been a chance

Just a thought, if you look at wreckedexotics , a significant no of cars trashed are in emerging/ developing countires where the money has flowed in before the skill!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th December 2009 at 16:52. Reason: merged post
Old 28th December 2009, 21:22   #4327
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Ajmat. Its like n00bs riding SBKs and falling within the first 100 kms.

These cars are a bit easier but just as lethal.

I don't know if ABS would have helped him, he was pretty fast. Its been years since I last traveled on that road.
How wide is it? What is the avg. speed of cars?
Old 28th December 2009, 21:35   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Thats correct. The speed limit in the US varies between 60-70. At 90 you can be straight away arrested without any questioning whatsoever and license suspended for 6 months.

In most driving in cities 80-90 mph happens on most motorways inside the city trunk roads also. There was a study done in Atlanta that on the I-85 highway, which cuts through the city, the average speed was around 85 mph.
Incorrect. The highest "posted" speed limit in the US is 80mph in some parts of western Texas & Utah.
Sorry but the arrest at 90mph might be applicable in Hawaii or the New England states. Down south, 90mph is perfectly acceptable. Although the speed limit on the I-85 in Atlanta is 55mph, I know for a fact that if you drive at anything less than 80mph, you're going to get rear ended or worse still, get a ticket for holding up traffic.
I don't condone over speeding but these are the facts.
Old 28th December 2009, 22:14   #4329
BANNED

And this is an accident photo from my collection, taken in Pune a few years ago; the authorities soon removed the pole from that location.

What were they thinking about, then? on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 28th December 2009, 22:23   #4330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That Skoda belongs to someone who came with some bhp-ians on track
Isn't this Skoda from Sadhashivnagar ?
Once I was in a 911 turbo when this car overtook us rashly from the left side,and sprinted its way through traffic.
Old 29th December 2009, 09:58   #4331
Senior - BHPian

That i10 Audi crash is horrible but I am absolutely appalled at the build quality of the small Hyundai. Its ripped open from front to back while the Audi is relatively unharmed. Forget about intrusions to the passenger area, it hasnt even reached anywhere close.

When will we start taking our lives a little more seriously even if that means loosing a couple of kms every litre of petrol.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:16   #4332
BHPian

Mittal, the Audi driver needs to be imprisoned for atleast 2 years, driving license needs to be stripped and should be slapped a fine close to 1 crore. This fine needs and should be given the family of the dead.

I understand that no amount of money can buy back the family any happiness but this is the least the courts can do! I feel extremely sad and my heart goes out of the dead.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:37   #4333
Team-BHP Support

Couldnt it be possible that the i10 was torn apart to rescue those stuck inside? Remote possibility, but still.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:41   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Couldnt it be possible that the i10 was torn apart to rescue those stuck inside? Remote possibility, but still.
i was about to post the same.
Cars are usually torn apart while rescuing passangers
Old 29th December 2009, 10:57   #4335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
It actually was. The car was in a mangled state and rescuers had to cut through the mess to get to the passengers. Obviously, the photographer couldn't click any snap with the bloodied passengers in the car.

Most Viewed