Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2009, 15:09   #4366
Senior - BHPian

^^Can't say how fit the Police jeep was. There might be sparks somewhere during cranking which sparked off the LPG. I remember once when I was fuelling, a 407 cranked up at the same petrol bunk and there were sparks from underneath the engin compartment falling on the floor. The pump guys went nuts and asked the driver to push the truck out of the pump and then try and crank.

So it must be something similar here. After all it is LPG right.
Old 31st December 2009, 15:23   #4367
Senior - BHPian

Yea, there would have been some sparks from which the LPG got ignited. I also heard that the fire started when someone turned on the headlights of the police car near the tanker.

This is just 10 Kms from my native place. The traffic in NH47 has been diverted for several hours. The news reports said that the firemen are waiting for the fire to get over by itself. Water hoses are or no use.
Old 31st December 2009, 15:34   #4368
Senior - BHPian

Maybe someone answered a cellphone call!
Old 31st December 2009, 17:11   #4369
BHPian

Three Killed Road Accidents

Quote:
They came to his house in Bharathi Nagar, watched television for some time, had dinner and left the place around 9.30 p.m. Police said Raghuraman was travelling at a high speed with Soundarya riding pillion. To overtake a vehicle ahead of him, he swerved to the left, when he rammed the stationary mini lorry.

Raghuraman was not wearing a helmet and died of head injuries. Soundarya is undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Chromepet
The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : 3 killed in road accidents
Old 31st December 2009, 20:38   #4370
Distinguished - BHPian

Lets hope we all here drive SAFE and do not ever feature with our automobiles in a bad condition never ever here on this thread.
Today is 31/12/2009 evening and the thought suddenly came into my mind.
SAFETY FIRST ALWAYS
Old 31st December 2009, 21:16   #4371
BHPian

Is this the same wagon R or a diff one? I think its a different.The car has just shrunk, wonder what happened?

Is this the same wagon R or a diff one? I think its a different.The car has just shrunk, wonder what happened?

Attachment gone wrong

Last edited by Eddy : 1st January 2010 at 10:54. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks
Old 31st December 2009, 22:20   #4372
BHPian

I could not take photo of todays accident which happened infront of my eyes due to police coming into scene at once. I was coming out of the shop and found a qualis braking very hard, screeching sound of tires and this almost gliding for about 30 to 40mts on road qualis hits a lady in the middle of the road. The impact was so much that I saw her flying in air about 2 meters in air then hits the bonnet and fells down on road. There was a silence for few seconds then everyone comes to see the lady and she was not moving at all. Then surprisingly she comes to her senses and obviously crying in pain but there was no sign of external injury i mean no blood could be seen on her clothes. Police called the ambulance and what I saw that qualis front grill and radiator got damaged and water started leaking. Strange law of physics I see here when hitting a person, a vehicle can get so much damaged!!

Fault was from both sides, lady tried to cross road without looking anyside and qualis was over-speeding with almost bald tyres resulting in poor braking and hence the accident.
Old 31st December 2009, 22:38   #4373
Senior - BHPian

Swift in BBMP drain

Classic case of government agencies negligence. Recently saw a Swift falling in an open drain under construction.

There was no warnings signs to alert drivers about the drain running right across the road.

The pics were taken in low light conditions by my mobile camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0182.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0183.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image0184.jpg  

Old 31st December 2009, 22:45   #4374
BHPian

Jeez! Drain of this size across the road!!! The concerned erring people should be put behind bars for playing with hapless citizen's lives!
Old 31st December 2009, 23:06   #4375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Fault was from both sides, lady tried to cross road without looking anyside and qualis was over-speeding with almost bald tyres resulting in poor braking and hence the accident.
Classic case! One e.g. for the Jaywalking thread and the other over speeding. I hope she and the other on lookers learnt a lesson on crossing the road. Sorry no condolances for injuries or negligence.
Old 1st January 2010, 00:30   #4376
Senior - BHPian

The Gas tanker (Capsule) accident at Karunagappally,Quilon.

3 more lives have been lost till now.

2 people in very sevire condition.
Old 1st January 2010, 00:49   #4377
Senior - BHPian

The accidents pictures shows the careless driving on the road. The lives are becoming valueless. Every day news starts wit the cost of some lives on road accident. How can we avoid the loss of these lives?
Old 1st January 2010, 06:05   #4378
Senior - BHPian

4 person passed away and still counting
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-03096_135952.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3439688494_karunagappallinew.jpg  

Old 1st January 2010, 09:33   #4379
BANNED

About the Karunagapally tanker accident -

True, the pics of the wagon R we saw yesterday and today are totally different. The wagon R looks totalled. In fact, looking at yesterdays pics, I was wondering that the "serious" injuries reported for the occupants were disproportionate to what we saw in the pics.

I think the Wagon R brushed against / rammed into the rear wheels of the tractor or trailer of the bullet. Else, there is no reason for a vehicle weighing above 20 tonns to overturn after colliding with a soap box.

If only the trailer had proper under-run protection which would have deflected the car, both the car, and the trailer would have been saved; and 4 lives (till now).

Which brings me to the big question - under-run protection is compulsory for all goods vehicles. LCVs and MCV (9 tonnes and below) have factory built bodies, and hence come with all the legally mandated safety equipment.

But most heavy vehicles (10 tonnes and above), like the trailer in question have custom built bodies, and I can assure that the RTO officials do not have any clue about the legal requirements, let alone safety features required in vehicles. Is it time to ban custom (non-factory) built bodies on heavy commercial vehicles? Or should we insist on some extra verification fee for bodies built outside mass production factories?
Old 1st January 2010, 09:40   #4380
Senior - BHPian

The Karunagapally accident took 4 lives so far and 15 seriously injured. 18 house and four shops gutted. The over all preliminary estimate loss is 1.15 cr which does not include the lives and injury. A sad new year of that area.

Most Viewed