Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 18:25   #4756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Please, don't take that as a lesson learned. That don't deserve to be a lesson. Wear seat-belts, drive sensibly. Expect the unexpected - this is a much much bigger lesson to be learned than making it a point to travel in a car with ABS and airbags.

Just linking the picture few pages behind in this context. It has ABS, but it couldn't save this beauty from hitting the pole - wonder why?
My guess is that the roads were slippery (wet roads clearly visible) and the car was over speeding. At the junction, maybe the driver lost control skidded and hit the pole.
Old 11th February 2010, 18:34   #4757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just linking the picture few pages behind in this context. It has ABS, but it couldn't save this beauty from hitting the pole - wonder why?
I know its rhetorical but I'll answer anyway. Because the driver was a giant moron
Old 11th February 2010, 19:07   #4758
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Rajesh Sir, looks like yet another one involving a cab (yellow board)?
Well, in this case it is! But I have seen private vehicles also having accidents in this stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Where did this happen in AC road??
It would be approximately 6 kms from the turnoff at NH47 towards Changanacherry.
Old 11th February 2010, 20:04   #4759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please, don't take that as a lesson learned. That don't deserve to be a lesson. Wear seat-belts, drive sensibly. Expect the unexpected - this is a much much bigger lesson to be learned than making it a point to travel in a car with ABS and airbags.

I think you are discounting these safety features. They go a long way in reducing the damage.
If you were to discount them, you can go ahead and do the same with seat belts. After all, paying attention to the road and making sure you don't get into an accident, if done at all times, would render them useless.

There are many driving tips, which when kept in mind will prevent a lot many accidents. Yet, there are some unavoidable crashes. And then you have the crashes where you aren't driving.

I am an ardent proponent for seat belts, but I somehow never felt a compulsion to use them when in the rear seats. Maybe it is a bad habit. I would love to know how many people use them.
Old 11th February 2010, 20:19   #4760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
After all, paying attention to the road and making sure you don't get into an accident, if done at all times, would render them useless.
Did you imply that if you have ABS, seat belt and other safety acronyms, its ok not to pay attention to the road so that the above devices become "useful"? That's what crash-test-dummies are for.

Please remember that most of the safety devices are meant for the occupants of the vehicle...and not for the innocent hapless people outside your safety coccoon. You'll be safe but a family would've got devastated.

There is NO alternative to ATTENTIVE driving. The above devices help when you run into surprises.

-- Torqy
Old 11th February 2010, 20:19   #4761
Senior - BHPian

people wearing seat belts in the rear seats is i think close to none in India at least.

my friends (some of them) avoid sitting in my car coz i ask them to wear the seat belts.. many a times i've been made fun off for being stubborn about the passengers wearing seat belts (my car or any).

riding without helmet, driving without seat belt is something i cannot do. kinda got used to it
Old 11th February 2010, 20:33   #4762
BHPian

Quote:

My Guess he took the right turn too fast and the wet roads were not helping as well.
Old 11th February 2010, 20:43   #4763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Did you imply that if you have ABS, seat belt and other safety acronyms, its ok not to pay attention to the road so that the above devices become "useful"? That's what crash-test-dummies are for.

Please remember that most of the safety devices are meant for the occupants of the vehicle...and not for the innocent hapless people outside your safety coccoon. You'll be safe but a family would've got devastated.

There is NO alternative to ATTENTIVE driving. The above devices help when you run into surprises.

-- Torqy
Its beautiful the way selective reading can be used to force a smart point. I never implied any lack of importance of attentive driving. Maybe I wasn't clear, I'll explain again.
There are some accidents which happen despite of all the carefulness one displays. It is in these situations that one finds great help in these safety 'gimmicks'.

I don't understand where your scorn for me comes from. Neither have I ever knocked anyone down on the road, nor have I ever advised people to abandon caution just because they have airbags.

No one bangs into anyone on purpose and no one drives recklessly thanks to the safety devices in the car. This is pure logic.
So where does my praising ABS etc show that I am okay with killing others outside?

And yes, I would sooner invest in my own safety than tie Kurlon pillows to the bumpers.

@mods: My apologies for going off on a complete tangent. Please delete the posts if the discussion has gone too far off track.

Best Regards.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:50   #4764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricheart View Post
Have seen similar stuff being done by traffic police on the inner ring road in Bangy. There was a totalled red Verna/Accent which had done a full speed parking under a truck and was put up on a tow truck parked on the ring road with big banners all over saying "My Driver was drunk (and now dead!)".
Yes. I saw it first lying in the KR Puram police station before it started doing rounds on the tow truck with the "My driver was drunk" board.

Then i saw it in garuda mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
RIP to the family in the Verna; drinks or no drinks generally these bus & truck drivers care a damn for the small vehicles on the highway.
Yes, that s right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
On the contrary this thread also kind of educates you to understand many situations which you think can never happen to you. I've enlightened myself with many situations which i've never imagined in the wildest of my dreams.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
That route, the bus drivers are totally homicidal.

Numerous times I have driven down this road I wonder why no one says anything. I am alarmed such incident dont happen everyday.

Its very easy to rein these drivers in. The same situation used to happen in our state too. People stopped using the services of these private operators. No political backing helps them. Over the years with constant public outrage against the bus drivers the whole route was nationalised, i.e no private operators can run.

Maybe Coimbatore and Erode and surrounding areas are a backward places where people dont bother about such things and are are more interested in their own lives.

Verna, behind it is the truck. Bus comes from opposite side hits Verna head on and sandwiches it between itself and the truck behind the Verna.

The bus is totally on the wrong lane.

That wont happen. For the last 5 yeas I have been driving down this route. And since my wife is from Coimbatore she has been witnessing such incidents for the last 10 odd years. The drivers come back after going underground. Are saved by their political bosses and some more lives are lost.

Nothing will happen until the public there who are more like cockroaches get a spine.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Thats one nasty crash! Doesn't seem like the car was cut open to retreive the bodies, rather the impact of the car smashed the car open.Either way,unfortunate that the innocent folks departed this way.
No car was cut. The pic you see is just the effect of the impact from both sides. Car's chassis is literally into 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
That Verna Accident is straight out of a Teminator movie. Horrible to say the least. I too did not understand how it happened. Maybe, the Verna was overtaking. RIP any way. Looking at the impact the other vehicles involved might also be heavily damaged. Any news on that ?

Vehicles have to change from the ongoing side to the oncoming side every now and then due to the road construction. A rash overtaking move by the bus , (while changing sides as i said, from ongoing to oncoming) which kisses the verna from behind and puts it in the path of an oncoming lorry as well, and finally; you know.

Does that make it clear?

Last edited by DRIV3R : 11th February 2010 at 21:52.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:56   #4765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get the feeling it was cut open to recover the passengers, or whatever was left of them.

Really horrible crash. God bless the victims.
Agree!! looks like it was cut open to recover the bodies if they died on the spot.. May the souls rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_ View Post
Why didn't you open the front door and throw him out?
You could have asked the driver to sing instead, so as to punish him.
Good one!! And yes a nice way to keep the driver awake!!

EDIT: Just noticed i was not on the first page when I replied

Last edited by abhinav.s : 11th February 2010 at 21:59.
Old 11th February 2010, 22:43   #4766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Does that make it clear?
Actually, No!
@Spitfire said the lorry was behind. To which you replied 'True'.
You are contradicting and saying the bus was behind. (Post #4766)
Can you make it clear, now that
I have pointed out ?

Last edited by prince_pervez : 11th February 2010 at 22:45.
Old 11th February 2010, 22:49   #4767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Actually, No!
@Spitfire said the lorry was behind. To which you replied 'True'.
You are saying the bus was behind.
Can you make it clear, now that
I have pointed out ?

LOL. My "True" for Spitfire was his views on the traffic, especially private buses which ply on that route and not the accident part!

The bus is behind the verna, the verna and the bus change from the ongoing to the oncoming side, the bus rashly hits the verna from behind (bus loses control while trying to overtake the verna while simultaneously changing sides) and puts itself and the verna on the track of a lorry coming in the opposite direction.
Old 11th February 2010, 23:12   #4768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After all, paying attention to the road and making sure you don't get into an accident, if done at all times, would render them useless.
I hope you're not trying to say that with all that safety features, you can afford to be a bit more careless while driving.

I'd drive a Car with Abs the same way as a car without Abs, I'm never gonna push it further with the Abs induced false confidence. Yes Abs can save a lives in several situations but I don't want to create such a situation because I have Abs, to see whether I come out alive or not.

On a lighter note, a friend of mine was asking me "What kind of difference I can expect from the overall breaking effect, from ABS?" I had a hard time telling him that under normal breaking circumstances, ABS will not even be in the picture - many people still think that ABS is there in action always and even slightest breaking will have that 'ABS effect'.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th February 2010 at 23:17.
Old 11th February 2010, 23:38   #4769
Senior - BHPian

Verna crash is horrendous. it is indeed very tragic for the departed occupants. one should always give way to bus/trucks. whther they hit us or we hit them, result would be the same.

Verna is ripped open like a tincan. in another accident in delhi between a BMW and an i10, i10 was ripped open similarly. and there is a pic of Santro curled up into a ball in previous pages. Hyundai's body shells do not appear that strong. i have seen many indica/indigo crashes, but none as damaged.
Old 12th February 2010, 00:04   #4770
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand where your scorn for me comes from. Neither have I ever knocked anyone down on the road, nor have I ever advised people to abandon caution just because they have airbags.
Sorry, it wasn't meant to scorn you.
I was surprised to read "the lesson about ABS" you learned from the accident and you overlooked the "driver" part.

That's all.

-- Torqy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks