Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 22:54   #5011
BHPian

That Honda City is in very bad shape, I guess the owner will have to spend quite a lot on it. The side panels are totally gone. Looks like it rolled on its side and was dragged about. Quite inquisitive to know how it happened actually...
Old 4th March 2010, 22:59   #5012
BHPian

The impact looks like it was t-boned from the side and then rear ended. This I can imagine. But only god knows what happened to the front.
I seriously doubt that after getting rear ended it moved 180 degrees and was hit again. Damn he will have a tough time explaining that to the insurance surveyor.
Old 4th March 2010, 23:20   #5013
Senior - BHPian

I just don't get it! People invest in ABS (and other safety features), but they don't bother to wear seatbelts? Something's definitely missing here.
With no offence meant to the person who's Fiesta was involved in a high speed crash, I have to point out that being able to afford a car with safety features isn't the epitome of being guranteed safety.It starts with the basic ( and more of a common-sense issue) of wearing the seatbelts if you want to save your life.
Time & again I get tempted to stop people on the roads and tell them to wear their seatbelts.Its provided for a reason,so do make use of it.
You can drive a million dollar car, but if you don't use what's essentially ~ $50-100, nothing will have you escape when you crash.
As much as I'd say this in a sadistic way (also praying that occupants make it safe after a bad crash), I hope they learn their lesson and wear those seatbelts. Hope the driver of the Qualis got the message, 'up-front'!
Old 4th March 2010, 23:29   #5014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I just don't get it! People invest in ABS (and other safety features), but they don't bother to wear seatbelts? Something's definitely missing here.
I think it is fashionable to buy the top end version, not necessarily for safety features.

Concern for safety needs to be 'enabled' in the brain as well.

But then we don't use helmets too. Folks in Kerala protested and removed the compulsory helmet rule.

May be their brains are not worth the helmets.
Old 4th March 2010, 23:56   #5015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
psst. maybe they don't couldn't figure out how to use it!

i mean, i feel naked (not in a good way) without a seat belt in a car and a helmet on a bike and i wonder how people skip this important safety points!

this evening on the Ayyappa Temple road, a Dio with two youngsters whizzed past between my Getz and another IndiCab, missing both the car by inches - both of them without helmets. had i been little more to the right, both the rider and the pillion would have ended up on my windshield!

crazy nut jobs!
Old 5th March 2010, 00:47   #5016
BHPian

Saw this on the ''Mahipal Pur ~ Masood Pur road', Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, about an hour ago.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05032010276.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05032010277.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05032010278.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05032010279.jpg
Old 5th March 2010, 01:12   #5017
BHPian

This thread is a sad reminder of how dirty people drive in Indian roads. I am sure some innocent people got affected badly as well.

One state where i see too many rash drivers is Kerala. I am a Malayali, family stays at TVM and i keep travelling from Bangalore to TVM frequently. I generally take the route from TVM -> Nagercoil ->Madurai -> Bangalore. But some times follow the palakkad route and that gives me a dreaded driving experience. Most dangerous are the small car drivers who push their cars more than what it can do. Comes on the wrong side and put their headlights on as if its my duty to always give way. They try to overtake on blind spots, squeeze in wherever possible and cause more confusion. Kind of arrogance and then the attitude that "I dont care a bit". The police guys are good for taking bribe and does not even care. Kerala is a state with maximum literacy but people just drive rash. And they are indifferent most of the cases.

On the Palakkad - Thrissur Highway a sumo in front of me doing circus goes and hits an elderly couple (about 60 years) on a splendor and make them fall. The Sumo guy stops and then gives gyan to the elderly couple that "when you are old you should not take vehicles and blah" Few guys come and says "oh nothing happened, leave it" , i being a witness asked the Sumo guy on his rationale in commenting on the elderly couple who were riding on the extreme left side of the road. His answer was straight forward "are they any of your relatives ? If not, then just mind your business, as long as they are not dead don't bother". Police guy comes and asks what happened, elderly couple says rash driving almost cost us our lives and policeman too replies "onnum pattiyillallo, pinnentha? " (Translation - Nothing happened, then what's the problem? )

The Sumo guy starts his car and moves on, god knows who all got affected due to his rash driving !
Old 5th March 2010, 02:13   #5018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
I think it is fashionable to buy the top end version, not necessarily for safety features.
Concern for safety needs to be 'enabled' in the brain as well.
Absolutely,the only way to flaunt one's well being, get a top end version and show that one's got the moolah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

Police guy comes and asks what happened, elderly couple says rash driving almost cost us our lives and policeman too replies "onnum pattiyillallo, pinnentha? " (Translation - Nothing happened, then what's the problem? )
A simple saying in Malayalam- bhuddhi indyaal poraa, kurrachu upayogikyanam! { Its not enough that one has a brain, it needs to use too!}.

Last edited by Nitin : 5th March 2010 at 02:15.
Old 5th March 2010, 08:25   #5019
Senior - BHPian

i think the trend of rash driving was set by our very own "AANA VANDI" a.k.a KL-15 guys! many a times i've had near death experiences because of these people! also being literate doesn't mean one is inteligent. its like having a Ferrari in the garage, but never using it!

ps: this is my first post from my HD2.. Team-BHP Mobile rocks!
Old 5th March 2010, 08:59   #5020
Senior - BHPian

[quote=maglev;1765739]Saw this on the ''Mahipal Pur ~ Masood Pur road', Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, about an hour ago.
[quote]
By the way where are the front tyres/axle of the truck. Has it been towed off or smashed or went to junk yard or has it been parked somewhere
Old 5th March 2010, 09:37   #5021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Comes on the wrong side and put their headlights on as if its my duty to always give way.
True; happens everywhere; I feel like carrying a baseball bat or chain ball & break those vehicle's headlights;

Quote:
They try to overtake on blind spots
Well, I think no one will be able to judge if you're falling into someone else's blind spot

Quote:
On the Palakkad - Thrissur Highway a sumo in front of me doing circus goes and hits an elderly couple (about 60 years) on a splendor and make them fall. The Sumo guy stops and then gives gyan to the elderly couple that "when you are old you should not take vehicles and blah" Few guys come and says "oh nothing happened, leave it" , i being a witness asked the Sumo guy on his rationale in commenting on the elderly couple who were riding on the extreme left side of the road. His answer was straight forward "are they any of your relatives ? If not, then just mind your business, as long as they are not dead don't bother". Police guy comes and asks what happened, elderly couple says rash driving almost cost us our lives and policeman too replies "onnum pattiyillallo, pinnentha? " (Translation - Nothing happened, then what's the problem? )
Feel like just ripping his Sumo & ask back "ninakku vallyum pattiyo, pinnendha?" (Translation - did something happen to you? Nothing right?)

Anyway, like many people in this forum advice, its better to shrug off & leave than get ourselves a bad day. Like in your case, even if you force an FIR & were willing to go to court as witness, the elderly couple should be willing to run to court & that too not sure how long will the case run; in between if the elderly couple are not able to make to court, they'll start cursing you for intervening; all this for the Sumo guy to pay a fine of less than 500 in the court after several years. So it may not even be worth interfering for someone. In this country you're privileged only if you're at the giving end & have money to get away with it.

Last edited by aargee : 5th March 2010 at 09:39.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:07   #5022
BHPian

Yesterday morning, I drove a bit rashly (in city) at some places in my Indica...

Yesterday night, saw the video clippings in the thread !

Today, when driving to office kept them in mind and drove carefully with a cool mind..

Difference noticed - There is hardly 5-10 mins difference in reaching the destination when you drive carefully (following all rules) with cool mind..Every one on the road appeared to be my friends !

Thanks to Team-BHP ......
Old 5th March 2010, 10:25   #5023
BHPian

Quote:
One state where i see too many rash drivers is Kerala.
Yes, we might well be the Rash Driving Factory.

Quote:
A simple saying in Malayalam- bhuddhi indyaal poraa, kurrachu upayogikyanam!
The correct Malspeak is Bhuddhi undaayaal poraa, kurachu upayogikkanam. Are you from Palakkad by any chance? Coz' "indyaal" is from there. (Couldn't resist showing off my language skills.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
..also being literate doesn't mean one is inteligent. its like having a Ferrari in the garage, but never using it!
This is what makes me cringe when people say Kerala is 100% literate. No use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Feel like just ripping his Sumo & ask back "ninakku vallyum pattiyo, pinnendha?" (Translation - did something happen to you? Nothing right?)
I would've decorated that sentence a bit like "Ninakku vallathum pattiyo, Pattee, pinnendha?"

Old 5th March 2010, 10:32   #5024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I would've decorated that sentence a bit like "Ninakku vallathum pattiyo, Pattee, pinnendha?"
Of course,that 'decoration' sure drives the message home.with a strong and long tone 'Patteeeye..'
Old 5th March 2010, 10:32   #5025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this evening on the Ayyappa Temple road, a Dio with two youngsters whizzed past between my Getz and another IndiCab, missing both the car by inches - both of them without helmets. had i been little more to the right, both the rider and the pillion would have ended up on my windshield!
If something had happened, you would have been blamed. Not them. As you are driving the bigger vehicle.

Quote:
Kerala is a state with maximum literacy but people just drive rash.
While in Kerala, mallus seem to highly aware of their 'rights' (avakaasam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Well, I think no one will be able to judge if you're falling into someone else's blind spot
No, aargee. If one is uncertain about the road ahead, do not take risks. And that includes whether your vehicle is visible to oncoming traffic as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Difference noticed - There is hardly 5-10 mins difference in reaching the destination when you drive carefully (following all rules) with cool mind..Every one on the road appeared to be my friends !

Thanks to Team-BHP ......
Some time back, I posted my travel time for a stretch of 150 KMs while driving at 100-120 KMPH speeds. Another member had driven on the same day on the same stretch at 80-100 KMPH speed. I reached BLR 15 minutes ahead of him. He called my driving style - 'like a bat from hell'.

This made me think. Thanks to him, and Team-BHP.

Most Viewed