BHPian

As predicted,

Clean chit for Mumbai's speeding teen
Old 10th April 2010, 21:58   #5357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Here s a TATA winger
Seems like the winger veered off the track bang on to the tree. Driver must have slept.
Old 10th April 2010, 22:04   #5358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
This morning paper carried this freak accident. A Scorpio, took a near-fatal de-tour to avoid traffic on the GST road and took to the arial route, through an unfinished flyover.
This reminds me of an incident that happened years ago. We were behind a Thiruvalluvar bus (long distance bus of the state road transport corp.) around 10 in the night on the GST. At several places road work was in progress. The bus started trailing a tipper truck belonging to some construction company. Apparently the truck was empty and the driver was having great fun driving in front of the bus by not allowing it to overtake. At one point the truck suddenly slowed down at a road diversion, turned left and braked. The diversion was to the right. The bus driver didn't notice the diversion and surged ahead. A bridge with a span about 30 feet or so was under construction dead ahead. The bus driver couldn't brake in time. We just screeched to a halt and watched in horror. Luckily for the passengers in the bus, workers had just finished laying the iron mesh prior to concreting. The scaffolding was secured with sufficient poles etc. As the terrified road workers screamed in horror, the bus went across the scaffolding creating a loud noise. After it crossed the bridge, the driver got out of the bus and almost collapsed on the ground.
Old 10th April 2010, 23:07   #5359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Auto toppled near Garuda Mall, Bangalore
Passengers look like foreigners. Maybe the auto guy tried to show-off?

Old 10th April 2010, 23:07   #5360
BHPian

Did any one from Chennai saw this accident ?
Vehicle falls on railway tracks from bridge under construction.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-09thvehicle_102912f.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th April 2010 at 11:56. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 10th April 2010, 23:24   #5361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Passengers look like foreigners. Maybe the auto guy tried to show-off?

Reminds me of this

....Enjoy!!!
Old 10th April 2010, 23:25   #5362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Did any one from Chennai saw this accident ?
Vehicle falls on railway tracks from bridge under construction.

The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : Vehicle falls on railway tracks from bridge under construction

Already posted a couple of pages back!
Old 11th April 2010, 06:36   #5363
BHPian

Saw a nasty accident over the BIAL flyover (ramp out of BIAL) involving a Skoda (Octavia it looked like but can't be sure as i were traveling into the airport). The guy seems to have somehow missed to see the curve, hit the rails and toppled upside down.
The vehicle's front was badly damaged. Ambulance was just in and in the dark i could not spot any causalities. Hope no one died.
My vehicle driver told me that he sees at least one big accident in the BIAL entry/exit ramps every week. People seem not to notice the road curves and hit the rails or the central circle.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:58   #5364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Auto toppled near Garuda Mall, Bangalore
I guess the auto driver had it coming, so do most of the three wheeled morons in bangalore. I hope the passengers were safe and from the looks of it, they seem to be from india.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:18   #5365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
The ToI article is here.

My thoughts:
1. Even if people shouted at the driver to stop, he would not have heard because his windows were rolled up. And everybody would roll up their windows and keep the A/C running in the Chennai heat.
2. I don't know why the paper always has to say "speeding" and "rash driving". We don't know what speed the Scorpio was driving at, and this could have happened even if he was driving within the speed limit and saw the road ending ahead of him too late.
3. The case has been book against the driver? Unbelievable! The case should have been booked against the officials who did not leave a barricade or warning signs.
So you expect the cops to treat the driver as a complete moron or idiot and let him go away??

If you just look at the photo, you can see the Scorpio couldn't have landed in the middle of the tracks unless it was carrying sufficient speed. It's a heavy vehicle. And yes, how come the driver didn't notice there was no road? As you have guessed, windows turned up, AC full blast and I may hazard a guess as to the music system blaring some modern songs.

I fail to understand how the driver can escape his responsibility. Isn't he supposed to see where he is going??
Old 12th April 2010, 15:55   #5366
Distinguished - BHPian

Approach the brow of any hill: it really looks as if the road is coming to an end.
Quote:
I fail to understand how the driver can escape his responsibility. Isn't he supposed to see where he is going??
I say the same thing every time, for instance, someone tries to blame a stationery vehicle, even in mid-highway, for someone else having run into it. In this instance, though, the event is so unusual, so unexpected, that I certainly do not think the driver should take the blame.
Quote:
the Scorpio couldn't have landed in the middle of the tracks unless it was carrying sufficient speed.
Even at 40kph, surely a vehicle doesn't drop like a stone? And on an empty, apparently clear flyover, how many would have been driving at 40, even though, yes, approaching the brow of a hill is like approaching a blind corner; one does not know what is just over the top.
Old 12th April 2010, 16:22   #5367
Senior - BHPian

Guys, let me explain the scheme of things in the photo. The pillar of the flyover we see in the photo is the one opposite to the pillar from which he took off. The track on which the Scorpio rests is the suburban (Tambaram-Beach) up track. That means he has cleared three other tracks - two express up/down tracks as well as the suburban Beach-TBM track. It is a miracle he missed the ~ 40,000 V hi-tension traction wires.

It was reported in some papers he was returning from a private engg college after buying an application for his sister. If that is correct, what I stated holds good. But the Hindu link reports he was on the way to the college to buy the application. If this version is correct, he is right under the pillar from which he would have jumped.

I went that way the next day and sure enough, they have erected a temporary wall at the entrance of the flyover - after the horse had bolted!

Last edited by Gansan : 12th April 2010 at 16:27.
Old 12th April 2010, 16:30   #5368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Reminds me of this YouTube - 007 James Bond Visa Commercial

....Enjoy!!!
Lovely! Thoroughly enjoyed that one.
Old 13th April 2010, 07:20   #5369
BHPian

Ten members of a family were in the jeep, and this included the two children. The children, who were seriously injured, were shifted to a private hospital in Mangalore, but could not be saved.

Police said that rash and negligent driving by the lorry driver is the reason for the accident. The jeep driver failed to notice the lorry which suddenly entered the junction.

Source: D A I J I W O R L D
Old 13th April 2010, 09:02   #5370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Guys, let me explain the scheme of things in the photo. The pillar of the flyover we see in the photo is the one opposite to the pillar from which he took off. The track on which the Scorpio rests is the suburban (Tambaram-Beach) up track. That means he has cleared three other tracks - two express up/down tracks as well as the suburban Beach-TBM track. It is a miracle he missed the ~ 40,000 V hi-tension traction wires.

It was reported in some papers he was returning from a private engg college after buying an application for his sister. If that is correct, what I stated holds good. But the Hindu link reports he was on the way to the college to buy the application. If this version is correct, he is right under the pillar from which he would have jumped.

I went that way the next day and sure enough, they have erected a temporary wall at the entrance of the flyover - after the horse had bolted!
From the looks of it seems highly impossible for him to have crossed three tracks airborne and then crash landed, unless he actually wanted to do it and accelerated enough for the same. A scorpio is a heavy vehicle, (> 2 tonnes) and i doubt if it would be airborne till it can cover a good 50 to 80 feet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks