Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2010, 16:52   #5686
BHPian

There was that accident story of a woman driving at 120kmph about 2 months near Marine lines in Mumbai. She rammed into stationary people and policemen. And now this Malad new link road story. This is the fifth accident where a woman drives at 120+ and kills innocent people on road. Police should nab such people instantly at any time round the clock. Heavy fines should be levied alongwith some kind of imprisonment. A large number of high speed accidents occur only during mid-nights in Mumbai.

Its so surprising that a lorry axle can actually kill an innocent motorist passing by. One such accident had happened in Vapi NH8 in Jan 2010. The truck's wheels seperated and jumped on to a scorpio, but luckily the scorpio driver sustained minor injuries, though the scorpio had to be discarded.
Old 8th May 2010, 17:58   #5687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
ECR Road, Evening 6 pm. Yet another reckless driving and death. No seat belts, driver shot through the wind-screen and landed on the bonner-engine. Photo is graphic in nature.

When people will learn the benefit of seat-belt
They will never learn the benefit of the seat belt. They will have to experience it. But they should remain alive to experience it.
Old 8th May 2010, 18:53   #5688
BHPian

A smashed Qualis

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-2.jpg

The truck driver was apparently driving recklessly. He failed to notice the barricade. Smashed right through the barricade and also two 2 wheelers

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-3.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-5.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-4.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image-6.jpg
Old 8th May 2010, 20:59   #5689
BHPian

hey saw this zen in vasant kunj c-6 !!
what i got to know was that some one with a black optra(learner) hit this zen head on and dragged it into a house !!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00110201005081043.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00111201005081043.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00112201005081043.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00113201005081043.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00114201005081043.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00115201005081044.jpg  

Last edited by torque.steer : 8th May 2010 at 21:09.
Old 9th May 2010, 07:20   #5690
Team-BHP Support

Believe me the NH47 stretch from Avinashi to Trichur is suicidal. Everyone wants to be a compulsive overtaker and people push you even when there are 10 trucks in front of you and coming in the opposite direction. It was scary. i just held back. The 200 km it took to cover took as long as the 400km of awesome roads covered earlier
Old 9th May 2010, 08:04   #5691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Believe me the NH47 stretch from Avinashi to Trichur is suicidal. Everyone wants to be a compulsive overtaker and people push you even when there are 10 trucks in front of you and coming in the opposite direction. It was scary. i just held back. The 200 km it took to cover took as long as the 400km of awesome roads covered earlier
I think you mean the Roads from Avinashi to Coimbatore bypass.I do this Road(BLR to Trichur) almost twice a month.
Yes it is rather populated with slow moving trucks plus its single laned and the road size is rather small. People tend to loose their patience and try risky maneuvers to overtake those trucks which are moving at almost snails pace(Due to overloading issues). But the 4 Laning of the roads is taking place for that stretch and will be ready by 2-3 years max.
The Bypass is smooth and you can cover the 30 odd kms of the bypass in relatively less time.

Then You enter Kerala Roads which is another issue altogether !!
Old 9th May 2010, 10:10   #5692
J.Ravi

Two passengers of KSRTC bus paid their lives as price for their roof-top travel in Bangalore, as per this report of today's Deccan Herald:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accd.jpg
Five people were killed in yet another accident, as reported in todays' Deccan Herald.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accd2.jpg
Today's The Hindu reported that seven occupants of an autorickshaw were killed when it collided with an oil tanker in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-vizag.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 9th May 2010 at 10:14.

Old 9th May 2010, 10:32   #5693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Then You enter Kerala Roads which is another issue altogether !!
yep, there are those Kl-15's (aana vandi) you've to deal with. many a times i've been driven to the shoulder by these idiots!
Old 9th May 2010, 11:22   #5694
J.Ravi

Today's Dinamalar reported that a two-wheeler rider lost his control and rammed his motor-cycle into a stationary bus, with front its front wheel got stuck into the rear of the bus, in Chennai. This rider claimed that his helmet saved his life as he escaped with minor injuries, when he was thrown out due to impact of the accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dinamalar.jpg  

Last edited by J.Ravi : 9th May 2010 at 11:27.

Old 9th May 2010, 12:08   #5695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you mean the Roads from Avinashi to Coimbatore bypass.I do this Road(BLR to Trichur) almost twice a month.
Yes it is rather populated with slow moving trucks plus its single laned and the road size is rather small. People tend to loose their patience and try risky maneuvers to overtake those trucks which are moving at almost snails pace(Due to overloading issues). But the 4 Laning of the roads is taking place for that stretch and will be ready by 2-3 years max.
4-Laning of this section is now where happening. Not even land has been acquired in the Madukkarai-Trichur (mannuthy) section. It will take long time before works get over here.
Old 9th May 2010, 14:27   #5696
BHPian

Last week there was an Accident in the Besant Nagar are in Chennai. The driver died on the Spot and the rest three occupants I heard are serious.

The reason, they hit a tree which has been there for years now and is now known as the Killer tree and has been axed after this accident. What I fail to understand it when the corporation decides to widen a road why cant they remove the tree in the first place and then widen the road, there is no point in widening the road without taking the tree out. Besides this tree was soon after a turn so obviously its in a blind spot.

Second I blame the Public namely US for driving at such high speeds inside the city that it can take our life out. Inside the city I feel we should either stick to the speed limits or even if you want to have a little fun make sure you have control of the vehicle you are driving.

One good thing that has come out of this accident is that the Family of the deceased has come forward and started a Trust which is going to be promoting the importance of Seat belts, Helmets and safe driving. Kudos to them but this is at the cost of a dear ones life.

Hope more people realise sooner than paying a heavy price for it and learning the hard way.

I saw the car in the area police station and dint have the heart to take pictures and post it here. So people please understand when people tell you and dont wait to experience it yourself.
Old 9th May 2010, 20:46   #5697
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if I will ever see the day when people understand how important seat belts are. Even the most educated people look at me as if I am a strange creature, if I put on my seat belt. Some of these people travel to US regularly and they still don't understand .

I think part of the reason why people are not convinced about seat belts, is that they dont understand how it works. They say, "it is so loose and allows me to move freely, how can this save me in case of an accident?"

Maybe govt should focus on awareness campaigns about how seat belt works, that will go a long way in convincing the public, rather than just saying "wear seat belt".
Old 9th May 2010, 20:56   #5698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
They say, "it is so loose and allows me to move freely, how can this save me in case of an accident?"
I too have come across such scenes..every time I take that opportunity and ask them to pull the seat belt with good force which will be the answer for their questions
Old 9th May 2010, 21:42   #5699
BHPian

Quote:
if you ask me? Two wheelers in India should have Company fitted speed limiters as standard and they should be set to 60.
The people here do not deserve to drive over 30 .
Our so called general public think that they can defy the laws of Friction and Gravity when driving Two wheelers.
Not really. I am a very careful driver and I precisely know the limitations of my 110cc motorcycle and I drive it keeping them in mind. Water on road, slow down; residential area, slow down; pedestrians, slow and stop if their crossing is legal; autorickshaws, change lane.

In the city, I seldom cross 50 and touch 70 only when all the above conditions do not apply and it is safe to say there shall be no sudden entering traffic anywhere. Reason, not enough braking power. With a car, I might go faster.

If atleast 50% of bikers drive this way, things would have been so much better.

Last edited by hellmet : 9th May 2010 at 21:44.
Old 9th May 2010, 21:46   #5700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
4-Laning of this section is now where happening. Not even land has been acquired in the Madukkarai-Trichur (mannuthy) section. It will take long time before works get over here.
i was talking about the stretch from Avinashi to Coimbatore Bypass.
Kerala 4 laning will take some time . The people there are rather stubborn for any progress to happen.

after the laning of the avinashi stretch. From Bangalore To Kerala border the entire distance will be 4 laned and considerable amount of time can be saved by traveling on them.

@Helmet
There will always be exceptions .
Today i saw a couple and a kid on a two wheeler driving in the middle lane of the BIAL road at around 30-40. Taxi guys were pulling dangerous moves to overtake them.
My question is why endanger your family's life also?

Last edited by vinaydas : 9th May 2010 at 21:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks