Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 12:15   #5731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I saw a funny sight today. Mom & dad in Wagon-R, both nicely belted up. Kid playing around the car unrestrained. I guess they were thinking that if an accident happened, the kid might die and they would survive to produce another kid
Obviously, they are buckled up just to avoid a chelan on the account of not wearing seat belts. Blissfully unaware of the safety it provides.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:42   #5732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I saw a funny sight today. Mom & dad in Wagon-R, both nicely belted up. Kid playing around the car unrestrained. I guess they were thinking that if an accident happened, the kid might die and they would survive to produce another kid
Do you think that's surprising? A few years back, in the Lokhandwala Complex of Andheri, Mumbai (which is one of the richest localities), I saw a father driving a Santro, his toddler sitting on his lap!! I couldn't believe my eyes a father could be driving like this, with his kid between him and the steering. Not only could he not steer / drive the car well, in case of any sudden braking the toddler would be squashed between the father and the steering. And this area is known for some outrageous driving by the rich and spoilt.

And then to top this one off, recently I saw a similar situation, this time a mom driving a WagonR with a toddler in her lap!
Old 12th May 2010, 13:51   #5733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
4 on a motorcycle? On a highway?
I shudder and concentrate harder when I come across such cameos.
Do you remember, how we can manipulate the direction of a cycle sitting on the back seat? It is easier if the driver is a learner. It is even more easier if the back seater is a heavy guy and has no sense of driving knowledge. I guess, this is one such instance, where 2 or 3 guys tried to change the direction sitting in the back-seat!! No wonder the driver did not have any clue how to change the direction and ended in such a mess. I have seen many such fools on the highways driving around 60-70kms per hour and not giving way to faster vehicles. God save them.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:14   #5734
BHPian

I don't really want an answer to this

Always wondered at what would happen if a tiny roadster like Mazda 'MX5' Miata or Honda S2000 hits a 16 wheel truck heads on. My guess is that since the top of the car is already shaved off by its very nature of being a convertible, the car would go right under the chasis of the truck and...
Old 12th May 2010, 15:42   #5735
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Email accompanying this video read:

Quote:
Hi,
Pls check out the video. This happened outside our office in Chanakyapuri, New Delhi on 4th May, 2010 when a Chevy beat was brought for a test drive for an employee at our office. He was lucky to escape as just before he got into the car, a phone came and he was delayed by a minute. The car caught fire from the rear near the fuel tank and spread immediately.
Please post it for your members to see as it can be a very important factor when evaluating the safety of a vehicle they intend to use or buy
Old 12th May 2010, 15:54   #5736
Senior - BHPian

Oh my god! What's with burning cars these days? First Beat casualty in t-bhp i suppose.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:15   #5737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[
Email accompanying this video read:
Thank god it is not a Tata, otherwise all the Tata bashers will start emphasizing the poor QC of Tata & this thread will run in 100 pages.

BTW similar happened with an Audi R8 (please refer the International Cars section). there is something wrong with the number 2010 itself... God knows why all the recalls, fires are happen since the year beginning.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th May 2010 at 18:32. Reason: Please avoid quoting the video links, affects readability. Thanks
Old 12th May 2010, 17:48   #5738
BHPian

Horrible accident on NDA Road near DRDO

Got this image from a colleague. He told me that three people traveling in this up-turtle Swift were badly injured. No lives were lost. He doesn't know any details about this accident. The guy lying on the road is the driver who was pulled out of the car by helpers. Sorry about the picture quality as he took the snap from his cellphone.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image000.jpg
Old 12th May 2010, 18:08   #5739
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Indica Crashed!

Saw this, today morning, on my way to college.
Looks like the Indica driver was probably trying to overtake someone.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-120520101391.jpg

The pic was taken at the lower parel bridge just before High Street Phoenix.
This same spot has witnessed many accidents.
Old 12th May 2010, 19:54   #5740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Always wondered at what would happen if a tiny roadster like Mazda 'MX5' Miata or Honda S2000 hits a 16 wheel truck heads on. My guess is that since the top of the car is already shaved off by its very nature of being a convertible, the car would go right under the chasis of the truck and...
Ah, well - i'm going to tell you anyway :

See that low horizontal bar mounted at the rear of the trailer, just behind the rear wheels?
Name:  108_fig_trailer_conspicuity_trailer_eng.gif
Views: 3888
Size:  20.8 KB

Thats called Under-ride protection. The watermark is doing a great job of covering it up in the following picture :

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-usr_230709124633_underride.jpg

In other words, it prevents a low car from going under a larger/higher vehicle.

There is however a problem - if its not low enough, it can lead to this - the wedge effect:
Name:  wheelwedge.gif
Views: 3804
Size:  8.6 KB

So to prevent that from happening it needs to be mounted at a typical car-bumper height.
Sadly not always the case on indian trucks. Though underride protection seems to have been enforced over the last few years, from what i see.

Theres another problem too....
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image026.jpg

But theres a solution for that as well - side underride protection :
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-underride5.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-badger2.jpeg

cya
R

Image sources :
http://todaystrucking.com/images/usr..._underride.jpg
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/images/roa...railer_eng.gif
http://www.resqmed.com/MultiTaskEx_files/image026.jpg
http://www.texastriallawyer.com/images/underride5.jpg
http://www.underridenetwork.org/Portals/0/badger2.jpeg
http://www.underridenetwork.org/Port...wheelwedge.gif

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2010 at 19:57.
Old 12th May 2010, 20:15   #5741
J.Ravi

A businessman was burnt alive along with his car at the Chennai Bypass Road at Porur at the early hours of today in a mysterious way, according to today's Tamil Murasu. He was on his way to Pondicherry. The passers by, who saw the car in flames, alerted the police. The police are investigating whether the person was burnt alive after kidnapping or died due to accidental fire.
Attached Images

Old 12th May 2010, 20:28   #5742
Senior - BHPian

Thats a NHC.. Hope it had nothing to do with Honda's faulty power window switches.
Old 12th May 2010, 20:32   #5743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
A businessman was burnt alive along with his car at the Chennai Bypass Road at Porur at the early hours of today in a mysterious way, according to today's Tamil Murasu. He was on his way to Pondicherry. The passers by, who saw the car in flames, alerted the police. The police are investigating whether the person was burnt alive after kidnapping or died due to accidental fire.
That's a deserted stretch and possibility of a crime is extremely high in this case.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:22   #5744
Senior - BHPian

Today's times of india reported tha the accident happened around 2 am. The car passed the tollway and after half kilometer, it went up in flames and the toll guy has reported that he passed the toll gate at 2:03 am. Even his gold chain was intact and police is saying this is pure accidental fire in the car. It could well be fault in the car.
See TOI report.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NHC-1.pdf (360.2 KB, 743 views)
Old 13th May 2010, 10:41   #5745
Senior - BHPian

So, the faulty power window switches at play? Honda can be sued?

Two of my friends who own NHC Vtec's never got any message from Honda to get the faulty power window switches changed. I advised then to get those changed, but they took it lightly!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks