Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 18:23   #5806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Still am not able to comprehend the postioning of innova when I compare its relative position on road with the bus (which seems to be at a bus stop) in background. Innova does seem to be overflowing from its lane towards the center lane on left..
That particular section of road is such that there is a bus stop to the left of the road just before the signal. At the signal itself the buses turn right to go towards Pune railway station. The bus drivers have no option but to cross lanes due to the odd location of the bus stop. To compound matters, the right turn is on an acute angle and also a bit steep for a bus that has just started.
Routine drivers on that section are usually alert to this situation and stay to the left of the road behind the buses. However, this means that the middle and right section of the road remains empty and is quite tempting for anyone to overtake a few buses. Not saying its the car driver's fault, but if you are not aware of other vehicles in Pune, you end up paying for someone else's fault!! it is advisable to keep an eye out for all anticipated trajectories of vehicles, and keep in mind there are some morons out there with vehicles that are more like out of control missiles
Old 18th May 2010, 19:28   #5807
Senior - BHPian

saw this OHC on the BETL my way to work yesterday.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_4723.jpg
Old 18th May 2010, 22:34   #5808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Spotted a badly mangled White Swift stationed near an apartment building, just after entering Jail Road from Sarjapura road. No idea what happened, but the damages suggest the car rolled-over after taking a hit.
From what i heard, it was driven very fast, thrown off the road after hitting a speedbreaker (May be he was driving for the first time on Jail road ). the car rolled couple of times, and looks totalled. Occupants escaped without injuries, which is hard to beleive.
Old 21st May 2010, 13:12   #5809
BHPian

Cab turned turtle on Hosur Road fly-over

Last week I saw a cab overturned and lying on its side on Hosur Road Flyover.
When I crossed the spot in the morning, only a few BETL guys were there directing the traffic and hence I could not click photos.

My colleague who crossed the spot earlier told me that it was due to the tyre burst and no major injuries to the people. He also saw a MERC stopping at the spot and a lady got down to check if she can help and offer a ride to stranded passengers.
Old 21st May 2010, 19:41   #5810
Distinguished - BHPian

A crashed Fiesta on the Chirag Delhi flyover this afternoon.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg
Old 21st May 2010, 20:01   #5811
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Spotted a badly mangled White Swift stationed near an apartment building, just after entering Jail Road from Sarjapura road. No idea what happened, but the damages suggest the car rolled-over after taking a hit.
It has been there since Tues
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:16   #5812
BHPian

Spotted a gold color Innova being towed on Bannerghatta Road. It seems to have crashed head on, but the windscreen was intact.
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:00   #5813
BHPian

2003 Honda City

This happened sometime in mid-2004. Taxi cut across the main road from a by-lane. Impact at around 35-45 kmph. (Dont worry about blanking the plates, car is ours.)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-100_2242.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-100_2240.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2010, 19:52   #5814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
This happened sometime in mid-2004. Taxi cut across the main road from a by-lane. Impact at around 35-45 kmph. (Dont worry about blanking the plates, car is ours.)
The Amby taxi had left its yellow impressions on your car's front.
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:02   #5815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Amby taxi had left its yellow impressions on your car's front.
Haha!! It did indeed. But the taxi was also badly damaged. He couldnt get his doors to open on the side our car hit. But thankfully no one injured. This happened right outside Tollygunge police station (no police there to help. Why am I not surprised?)
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:45   #5816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Ouch! That's quite a hit. For your own privacy, you may want to consider blanking the plates
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:35   #5817
Distinguished - BHPian

My turn. First real accident (more than a dent or a scratch) in India for me.

I was coming across Kotturpuram Bridage, giving a lift home to two ladies from a house concert organised by some friends of mine, and they asked if I knew the route through Kotturpuram village, which I did not. Always being keen on new roads, I decided to take it.

Just past the village centre, a vehicle approached with main beam glaring in the middle of the road. I was well on the left of centre, but there was some room to my left. I stood my ground, and we ...ran into each other, wing to wing. One of the ladies with me was all for taking on the four guys, who I think had been drinking. Whilst there was no real sign of aggression, things were warming up a little and the growing crowd made me nervous, and, having established that the wheel would turn for steering, I extracted my female champion. I took the car number, but, stupidly, I did not his name and number. Nor did he get mine.

Stupid accident, because I could have avoided it, and, rather badly dealt with afterwards.

Damages: wing and bumper definitely. Bonnet is ok. It's dark: that's all I can see. Pic tomorrow.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:59   #5818
Senior - BHPian

Ouch. Glad you and company got out safe.

My dad whacked me on the head for standing my ground against every moron who used to needlessly enter my lane.

Although one should not give one's lane too easy, I have seen its best not to be headstrong on Indian roads. You never know what kinda douchebag's driving the other car.

Hope you get off cheap on the repairs. (By the way, which car?)
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:09   #5819
Senior - BHPian

^^ @Thad: RTOs in many regions offer a look up facility over web, where you can find the owner of the car by searching with the registration number. If that is available with RTOs in Chennai, you can give it a try..

though I feel it is an infringement on privacy, it will be useful in certain situations.

One of my friend finds a car parked blocking his car at office parking. He takes his mobile, searches with the registration number. He gets the owners name. Since he found a sticker 'UST Global' on the windscreen, he called up UST global and asked the receptionist to connect to this guy. Within a minute, the guy picks up the phone and was really surprised how my friend was able to trace his identity

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd May 2010 at 23:14.
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:22   #5820
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks both. Not sure how to handle this, and I didn't get off to a good start. Probably shouldn't discuss in this thread. Will look on RTO site.

My poor hurt car: Swift, three years old tomorrow!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks