Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 23:37   #5836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
people like her should be dragged out on the roads and shot in public!
According to the news, the lady was so heavily drunk that she couldnt come out of the car by herself. She had to be taken out.

When you cannot handle oneself, why on this earth do you drive??
Old 24th May 2010, 09:08   #5837
Senior - BHPian

Last saturday two persons travrlling on a bike was run over by a tipper lorry. The incident happened near Vaikom in Kerala.My heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families.

They were overtaking the tipper, on a stretch where one side was dug for laying a water pipeline, when they brushed with an oncoming bike and fell flat on the tipper's trajectory. Indiscreminating overtaking caused their death. As I have mentioned in some earlier posts overtaking without due thinking is the causative factor for many tragic road deaths.

You could find a lot of such stupid drivers in Kerala roads who at any cost want to move ahead of the vehicle in front come what may.
Old 24th May 2010, 09:32   #5838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
According to the news, the lady was so heavily drunk that she couldnt come out of the car by herself. She had to be taken out.

Read the article on this accident today and it seems the lady is already out on bail. The car is registered in Punjab on her husbands name who is a serving colonel in the Army.

The rick driver who died in the accident was supporting 13 members of his family with his income..god knows what will happen to them :(.

may his soul RIP.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:59   #5839
BHPian

11 die as a KPN bus bound to Bangalore from trivandrum met with an accident with a mini bus. Deceased where the volvo driver and 10 others from the mini bus.

The accident happened near tirunelveli.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg  

Old 24th May 2010, 16:01   #5840
BHPian

My Altis takes a hit

With Grief, I post the below thread,

On Saturday Night, my Dad was coming back from his office in Faridabad to Gurgaon taking his usual Hill route (Pahari Route). Time was about 0015 - 0030 hrs in the night.

Suddenly, a Nilgai (Blue Bull) came flying onto the bonnet of the car from the passenger side and resulted in this,

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-24052010684.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-24052010685.jpg

The saving grace was at that odd hour and utterly odd place, the Toyota lived to its name and bought my dad safely home about 20 KMs away.

Now the car has gone to MGF Toyota in Gurgaon, who have given a rough estimate of about 2L. I am sure the actual figure would be lot less than this, as it looks more a cosmetic injury and not a deep blow inside as the driveability is not affected and all functions are perfect, even the Climate control, Headlights, Turn Indicators, etc are working perfect.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:07   #5841
BHPian

Saw a Maruti Omni on the roadside near Kothrud Depot (Paud Road, Pune). seems it had met with accident early in the morning or late in the night. The car seem to have tipped and skidded on driver side but was again put back up after the accident. There is a underconstruction road section just before the accident and few large stones marking the area. Seems this driver may have hit one of these causing the accident. Front axle was totally bent inside (wheels moved in where engine is sopposed to be).
No pictures though. Any puneietes who know more about the accident?
Old 24th May 2010, 17:45   #5842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Surprisingly a lot of people I meet (non-tbhpian's) think that driving is the easiest thing in the world and they could do it with their eyes closed. I guess that attitude results in rash/drunken driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Suddenly, a Nilgai (Blue Bull) came flying onto the bonnet of the car from the passenger side and resulted in this

The saving grace was at that odd hour and utterly odd place, the Toyota lived to its name and bought my dad safely home about 20 KMs away.

I am sure the actual figure would be lot less than this, as it looks more a cosmetic injury and not a deep blow inside as the driveability is not affected and all functions are perfect, even the Climate control, Headlights, Turn Indicators, etc are working perfect.
Glad to hear that your dad came out safe from this. It could easily have been worse. Thanks to the car design the bull didnt end up sliding up the bonnet and onto the glass. The fact that he could drive home and everything in the car is working sounds good. Scary nonetheless.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:07   #5843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Suddenly, a Nilgai (Blue Bull) came flying onto the bonnet of the car from the passenger side and resulted in this..
What about the Neelgai?
Old 24th May 2010, 18:49   #5844
Senior - BHPian

oh you'd be surprised - thats because its the crumple zone.

I saw a horse once get hit by an Omni. The omni was badly hit - no casualties (lost the fr right tyre) and the horse ran away like nothing happened.

if this was a jeep - then i'd be worried on both sides.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:58   #5845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post

Glad to hear that your dad came out safe from this. It could easily have been worse. Thanks to the car design the bull didnt end up sliding up the bonnet and onto the glass. The fact that he could drive home and everything in the car is working sounds good. Scary nonetheless.
Thanks, My dad was really appreciating Toyota for the excellent build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
What about the Neelgai?
Absolutely No Idea, It is highly common to find Nilgai's in the Gurgaon-Faridabad Pahari Route, That place is literally full of them,

Also, I am in Bangalore for my living, so did not ask him any more details, but yes I am sure the Nilgai would have run away easily into the dark.

Around Dec 2006-Jan 2007, even I had almost faced a major accident on the same road because of the Nilgai's, It was about 8 PM in the night and I was travelling from Gurgaon to Faridabad on my barely 10 days old WagonR, there were about 20 odd cars doing around 60-70 KMPH, when suddenly a Nilgai came running across the road and hit an Alto which was in front of me, I dont know how did I presumed it (I call it God's grace), but just about a second before it hit the Alto, I saw it and slammed on my brakes and also simultaneously looked in my rear view, I missed the Alto by inches and all other cars also braked on time,

Alto took a severe beating and the whole front was damaged, perhaps it was the only car that took the hit,

Well, about the Nilgai, it just got up, shrugged itself and vanished into the Jungles across the Road. Not a single hint of any Injury on it.

Guys, Would appeal to all those who travel on this road, Please be more cautious on this road, This road is literally a death trap for first timers and with the ongoing 4 laning of the same, it would become more and more dangerous until the widening is completed, also add the rainy season coming up and it sure would be a disaster in waiting.

My Dad daily travels to and fro on this route and almost every other day, he sees a similar scene, although this time, it was his turn to be in this mess. It was just fortunate that it was pretty late at night and hence, the traffic was sparse else it could have easily resulted in a chain-reaction.

Last edited by shantanumishra : 24th May 2010 at 19:01.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:08   #5846
BHPian

The build quality of animals seems to be far superior than that of cars!!!
Old 24th May 2010, 19:35   #5847
Senior - BHPian

Someone in a white Swift VDI had a near miss yesterday. I was travelling from Muvattupuzha to Cochin in the afternoon. I had a truck moving slowly right ahead of me and the white Swift VDI behind me. Now this route is full of twists and turns and one has to have a bit of patience to safely overtake any vehicle, especially trucks who don't like to give way.

At a particular point after a turn, I had half a peep down the right side of the truck and I immediately saw a white zen coming in the opposite lane. By that time, I could see in my rearview mirror that the Swift was already fully in the other lane trying to overtake me+the truck. I aborted the overtaking attempt and moved back fully behind the truck. I was surprised to find the Swift going ahead with the overtaking. He passed me and was parallel with the truck and by that time the zen was really close. I wasn't sure if he'd make it without incident, so I started braking. The truck guy braked too just in time and the Swift somehow scraped through without hitting the truck or the zen.

No damage done in the end, but it seemed to have shaken up the Swift guy badly - he was going a snail's pace after that. Better late than never, eh?
Old 24th May 2010, 22:10   #5848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
11 die as a KPN bus bound to Bangalore from trivandrum met with an accident with a mini bus. Deceased where the volvo driver and 10 others from the mini bus.

The accident happened near tirunelveli.
I happened to pass through the accident spot maybe few mins or hours after the accident took place. I realized there was an accident as i saw a recovery van dragging the B9R. The bus was smashed badly but the engine was still running, lights inside bus still on! The policemen could not figure out how to stop the engine and the driver side was not accessible either. I can imagine how this would have happened, the nagercoil-thirunelveli stretch is still under construction and there is a sudden deviation after a four lane stretch to the opposite side few meters before the spot. There is complete darkness at this spot with no warning boards or indicators. The KPN bus at a good speed would have taken the deviation, came to the opposite lane and the mini bus would not have given him side (as i know these TT and mini bus drivers hate giving way to others) resulting in a head on crash.

Or may be in this case the KPN driver might have been at fault as well, just assumption after seeing the site. I tried taking pics but the policemen asked to leave politely as my car would have blocked the road. The mini bus was crushed to a piece of metal. And sadly, the police guys had no equipment to clean the road and was using pieces of cardboard boxes to remove the debris ! May the souls RIP, i hope people learn and drive safe.

Interestingly, few meters before the spot, i saw a mini bus missing an accident because the driver was drunk ! And the driver almost fell out of the door after hard braking ! I just stopped and had a look and the driver was giving a wierd smile and i could not help much.

I dont think i would be ever surprised seeing these, after travelling so many highways through many states, its quite sure that:

- Any tom dick and harry can get a driving license, especially the heavy vehicle license, by paying some bribe.
- Majority of these drivers do not know how to read their mother tongue, can't follow instructions on the road or understand warning signs.
- Arrogance is a part of life, people think they can do what they want and always defend themselves. Sad i see some educated people doing such stupid things !
- The public is full of hypocrites, especially when you are in villages or town. They see the size of the vehicle and is bothered how to extract money as much they can even though the car driver is not at fault.
- People have money to buy cell phones, but no money to fix tail lamp bulbs or put reflectors for their vehicles even though they cost only a fraction of the cell phone value.
- Police is nothing but organized begging. And till that changes, people will not bother as they know they can throw few notes and police would dance to their tunes.

I hope human life is valued when the drivers take the road.
Old 24th May 2010, 23:08   #5849
Senior - BHPian

was waiting outside the parlour my wifey goes to and saw a pedestrian almost being run over by a punk! i was outside Sthri and Sakhi (11th main Indiranagar) when i saw this white modded Swift come thundering up the road (from the Thippasandra side). there was a bike in front of it and at a very short distance, a small speed breaker.

when the biker slowed down to negotiate the speed breaker, this Swift tried to overtake him without slowing down. there was a daily wage worker walking on that side of the road and if he hadn't seen the racing Swift and moved to the left, he would have surely been run over!

the guy driving the Swift was in his 20's, punk hairstyle, loud music playing in the car, all jazzy lights and fancy modding on the car, his phone's earphones on and finger in his nose! guess what - the guy didn't even flinch at the near miss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
- Police is nothing but organized begging.
couldn't have put it better

Last edited by IronH4WK : 24th May 2010 at 23:09.
Old 24th May 2010, 23:21   #5850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

all jazzy lights and fancy modding on the car

Did it belong to the Pics of weird and wacky mod jobs thread???
The owner/driver might have been reflecting his car's character or vice- versa!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks