Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 00:00   #6121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Trailer skidded off the road due to rain on NH17
Here come the thought police! <Blush>

Trailer skidded of the the road due to driving too fast in the rain.

Maybe.

Short of finding out the hard way that the people in front of you have emptied a can of oil onto the road (yes: it happened to a BHP-ian!), it is the driver, and nothing else, that causes a skid.
Old 20th June 2010, 03:02   #6122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here come the thought police! <Blush>

Trailer skidded of the the road due to driving too fast in the rain.

Maybe.

Short of finding out the hard way that the people in front of you have emptied a can of oil onto the road (yes: it happened to a BHP-ian!), it is the driver, and nothing else, that causes a skid.

Absolutely spot on. People fail to realize that no matter how good the tires, and the dynamics of the car, the road conditions have the greatest effect on vehicle performance. Drivers need to compensate for changing road conditions, sadly, this is not taught in the Indian driving schools (for the ones that actually go there).

Usually it's more like, "Horn mein koi kanjoosi nai karna" (translated: Do not shy shy away from using the horn)
Old 20th June 2010, 05:55   #6123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Trailer skidded off the road due to rain on NH17

Pretty wierd that the container fell towards the road with the trailers belly on the other side , generally it's the other way round.

Have also heard that truck drivers sometimes go off road intentionally and cause an accident to incur losses to his ever shouting owner.
Old 20th June 2010, 09:26   #6124
abk
BHPian

Accidents in US

Apologise upfront for putting these couple of accidents - one in which I was involved as a passenger and the other where my friend was involved both in the US. I know this thread is for accidents in India. Moderators, if my post is inappropriate to the context, please do move it to its right parking slot. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No sooner had I begun to feel moderately comfortable in the car on US roads than I was witness to this freaky accident! For the story telling, my colleague (X) was driving me to another town this on Thursday afternoon for applying my SSN. We had to detour to X's home to pick up the car's GPS navigation equipment. Very very strangely while turning into our apartment parking area X did not notice the oncoming car. When the alarming closeness finally had me shriek out that there's car in front it was a little to late and too much of panic. X pushed the accelerator (wonder why they call it the gas pedal here!) instead of slamming the brake and rammed on to the the oncoming car lifting it up half way on its side. The result - major damage to the other car. Minor damage to our car. Everybody rattled up. Especially that poor chap in the other car completely bewildered if X was smoking pot in broad day light not to see a Camry rolling down the road. Fortunately, each of us were all in one piece saving us the trouble of having to hand pick our own disintegrated composition The other person involved in the accident whose car was badly damaged turned out to be a fellow working for the same company for the same customer! Jolly Roger! He must have thought post incident!

Cop came; Insurance agencies called. The aftermath of this mini carnage, it seems, will continue for a while until everything is sorted and squared.

The air-bags of our car Corolla were not deployed. Reckon when the impact was made our car was below 10 mph.

Meanwhile, pics to help u reconstruct the sequence or, better still, to warn you that please be safe - within a car or outside of it

The last pic is my friend's mishap while driving to Florida couple of weeks back.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0486.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0487.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0488.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0489.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0490.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc03364.jpg  

Old 20th June 2010, 10:36   #6125
Distinguished - BHPian

This Incident happened on Mysore-B'lore when my friend was going for his Engagement.
A lorry came out of a fuel station diagonally on the wrong side to cross the median over to the other side. The swift was at 100+ speed. After skidding for some distance the swift hit the lorry sandwiched between the lorry and the median.
Nothing happened to the co passenger except for a few bruises.
As usual the lorry escaped the eyes of all the passengers who were all at shock.
I included a graphic trying to show what exactly happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-18082008956.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2010 at 17:00. Reason: Photo with plate shown - removed on request
Old 20th June 2010, 15:58   #6126
BHPian

A close shave

We were returning from Ooty when we got caught in a 5 km road block. So I took a stroll down and found this.

The bus had a very close save. It was a direct drop of minimum 50 feet from the spot. No casualities.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-snap000.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-snap001.jpg  

Old 20th June 2010, 16:19   #6127
Senior - BHPian

^^ sad to hear about your friends accident bro! Wasn't anybody around to take down a number of the truck or something ? Usually the localites are the first to stop the truckers and beat the hell out of them. Good to hear that nothing major happened to the occupants of the car.
Old 20th June 2010, 16:55   #6128
Distinguished - BHPian

There was no village or any other residential areas nearby.
Enquiring at the fuel station from where the car came out was just in vain.
The incident happened just two days before his marriage engagement and luckily everybody escaped unhurt
Old 20th June 2010, 17:25   #6129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The L&T by-pass road is an abrupt transition to a smooth express way from the regular asphalt on NH-47 and other side roads. And it's common for drivers to let go off the adrenaline surge by stepping on the A-pedal. Not many are familiar with the contours of the road and also to the ups and downs (literally).

You can often see bulkers and tankers turned turtle at the turns, mangled up sedans and MUVs along this road during the rains.
The Coimbatore L&T stretch was the only good stretch once upon a time.
I don't know why people speed up now,as the remaining national highway parts all over Tamilnadu has dividers all over and in excellent condition.

I remember in 2006 and earlier, we used to test maximum (comfortable) speed on those 30+KM stretch of L&T road. But that time, traffic were less and unexpected vehicles on those stretches were nil.
Old 20th June 2010, 21:08   #6130
BHPian

Today while returning from Lonavala to Mumbai, spotted a burning Mercedes C class (the previous gen). The car was totally burnt and the same caused a traffic jam for 3-4 kms on the other side (towards Pune). No pics, sorry.
Old 20th June 2010, 23:11   #6131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
We were returning from Ooty when we got caught in a 5 km road block. So I took a stroll down and found this.

The bus had a very close save. It was a direct drop of minimum 50 feet from the spot. No casualities.
Makes me cold all over just looking at that. The bus must have been moving slowly, I guess, so that it jammed there, rather than dashing over.
Old 21st June 2010, 10:09   #6132
Senior - BHPian

I always try to foresee all the possibilities that can lead to potential accidents while riding/driving, and take the defensive approach. But such is the ingenuity of the denizens of our singara Chennai that last week, my stationery car was about to cause an accident and I was totally stumped!

I visited our auditors' office located on Venkatanarayana Road, T'Nagar opposite to the BP Petrol bunk. After finishing my work, started the car, took a U turn in front of this bunk and was proceeding towards Mount Road. Within about 100 metres the signal turned red and all the vehicles stopped, my car being close to the centre median. I noticed a dark, short slum dweller clad in pure white Dhothi/shirt approaching from the footpath on my side of the road. He zig-zagged through the vehicles, passed in front of my car from left to right and went past the driver's door towards the rear. I could see he was drunk,but lost interest once he went past me and was listening to a favourite song, when I felt a slight shake in the car.

When I looked in the mirror I saw this chap hanging from the centre median, with his left foot planted on the median, left hand grabbing the median railings, trying to climb up on it. His right leg was hanging loose and right hand was planted on my car roof, trying to get purchase! He was pulling with his left hand and pushing on my car with his right hand, trying to hoist himself on the median and was almost horizontal with the effort.

The signal changed to green and all vehicles started to move but I could not, with this monkey hanging from my car! If I had moved without noticing him, he would surely have fallen and may be his hand/head would have fouled with my rear wheel. So I had to wait till he successfully scaled the median before moving off, the angry horns behind me notwithstanding! I was furious with that fellow and laughing at the same time!
Old 21st June 2010, 10:20   #6133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post

The last pic is my friend's mishap while driving to Florida couple of weeks back.
which is the car at the front? A lexus?

Did it rear ended the impala? or did the impala rammed at the back?
Old 21st June 2010, 11:04   #6134
CJP
BHPian

India Steadily Increases Its Lead in Road Fatalities - NY TIMES

India Steadily Increases Its Lead in Road Fatalities - NYTimes.com

"A lethal brew of poor road planning, inadequate law enforcement, a surge in trucks and cars, and a flood of untrained drivers have made India the world’s road death capital. As the country’s fast-growing economy and huge population raise its importance on the world stage, the rising toll is a reminder that the government still struggles to keep its more than a billion people safe."

Please read the article, the government and the police are either too slow or too stupid or both, to do the right thing.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:06   #6135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
which is the car at the front? A lexus?

Did it rear ended the impala? or did the impala rammed at the back?

Isn't that a Camry at the front?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks