Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 11:09   #6136
Distinguished - BHPian

Today saw a truck on the ORR near Ramurthynagar trying to jump from the main road to the service road. The glasses were shattered. Could not click the picture as I was in the cab and the cabbie as usual was speeding
Old 21st June 2010, 11:33   #6137
BHPian

Had a real close shave yesterday with a biker yesterday who without looking jutted into incoming traffic to take a right turn. The idiot had a child sitting in front on the petrol tank. I swerved instantaneously and luckily for me, there were no vehicles on my left side. Don't know if that idiot even realized the danger he caused not only to others but also what would have happened to him and his kid.

If my car had touched his bike, I am sure the locals would have assumed the mistake to be mine as I was driving the bigger vehicle.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:19   #6138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I was in the cab and the cabbie as usual was speeding

Why dont you ask him to slow down,? office cab? I once asked the office cab guy to stop when he was over speading even after two warnings, he missed hitting couple of cars and bikers. I called our transport department and asked him to send another cab, immediatly. the cab vendor called the driver immeidately and gave some lecture, yes he knew how to drive sane, he was not going beyond 40KMPH.

Pramod
Old 21st June 2010, 17:51   #6139
BHPian

Witnessed a terrible accident on the outer ring road near Sarjapur just outside my office.A water tanker speeding at around 100kmph lost control and ran over the divider and hit a street light pole.There were four guys sitting in the front. The left A pillar of the van hit the person sitting in the extreme left due to the impact of the light post smashing his head and was killed on the spot.It was a terrible sight and really shook me up as I had never witnessed anything like that till then.
Unfortunately the person who was killed was the actual driver of the vehicle and had asked another guy to take the wheels who was apparantely not more than 17 or 18yrs old.
The vehicle actually bounced to the other side of the road after the impact and thankfully there were no vehicles moving at that side then otherwise the damage done could have doubled.All this happened at around 11.30pm on Friday.
Old 21st June 2010, 18:11   #6140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleno7811 View Post
A water tanker speeding at around 100kmph lost control..
These water tankers are barely able to carry their sorry ***** around and therefore, it is kind of difficult to digest the speed of 100 kmph
Overspeeding I can, and surely will agree with, but not 100 kmph!
Old 21st June 2010, 18:15   #6141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
These water tankers are barely able to carry their sorry ***** around and therefore, it is kind of difficult to digest the speed of 100 kmph
Overspeeding I can, and surely will agree with, but not 100 kmph!
Sorry forgot to mention that the water tank was empty and hecne he was able to do such speeds. I saw the accident happen right in front of me and trust me he was really quick.
Old 21st June 2010, 18:20   #6142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleno7811 View Post
Sorry forgot to mention that the water tank was empty and hecne he was able to do such speeds. I saw the accident happen right in front of me and trust me he was really quick.
Sure, I do trust you mate, just that its difficult to gauge actual speeds as a bystander
BTW, don't you have a better thing to do on a Friday night at 11.30 p.m. than hanging around your office? Unless ofcourse, you have all the TGIF activities happening at your work
Old 21st June 2010, 19:02   #6143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Sure, I do trust you mate, just that its difficult to gauge actual speeds as a bystander
BTW, don't you have a better thing to do on a Friday night at 11.30 p.m. than hanging around your office? Unless ofcourse, you have all the TGIF activities happening at your work
Oh well it was a very long day at office and had come down for a smoke. I wish i had left home early that day!
Old 21st June 2010, 19:14   #6144
Distinguished - BHPian

Nasty.

Two of my closest friends in UK live on a dangerous country road, and, after an accident outside their house, now know exactly what human brains look like.
Old 21st June 2010, 21:10   #6145
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays I notice that every single water lorry driver I see looks like a teenager. This is at least true of the Medavakkam area, where water is regularly pumped out in the name of agricultural activities and sold commercially.

I guess it has something to do with cheap labour, get young school dropouts from rural areas, teach them basic driving and put them to the job.
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:33   #6146
BHPian

Saw an accident on the sector 8 crossing(kfc). A new gen Skoda Laura and Ford Fusion were involved. Any chandigarhians can put any light on the topic?
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:45   #6147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Today while returning from Lonavala to Mumbai, spotted a burning Mercedes C class (the previous gen). The car was totally burnt and the same caused a traffic jam for 3-4 kms on the other side (towards Pune). No pics, sorry.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-del.jpg

Mumbai: Traffic on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway came to halt for around one hour on Sunday evening after a Mercedes Benz that was heading towards Pune caught fire on a stretch of the expressway behind the Police Training School at Khandala.

According to sub-inspector Pandurang Patil of Lonavla police, no one in the car, owned by Andheri resident Deepak Ramnik Vora, was injured in the incident that occurred around 5 pm. Four passengers were in the car when smoke started emanating from the bonnet.
When the driver checked the bonnet, he found that the engine had caught fire.
The police stopped the traffic to avoid any mishap that would have possibly resulted in the bursting of the fuel tank. According to eyewitness Rajesh Menon, traffic was stopped on either side of the expressway. By the time fire tenders arrived, the car had burnt beyond recognition.
“The fire was controlled in half an hour. Some short-circuit must have led to fire in the engine,’’ said Patil. He said that the traffic was not affected for long.

Source : Times Of India
Old 22nd June 2010, 03:35   #6148
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks for the first pictures of the Merc. Nice color. Too bad it had to go down this way. But the sensibility of the cops is commendable to have stopped traffic till everything was clear and safe for other users. Thats a first since a long while. Finally the TATAs have some respite.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:00   #6149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Why don't you ask him to slow down,? office cab? I once asked the office cab guy to stop when he was over speeding even after two warnings, he missed hitting couple of cars and bikers. I called our transport department and asked him to send another cab, immediately. the cab vendor called the driver immediately and gave some lecture, yes he knew how to drive sane, he was not going beyond 40KMPH.

Pramod

I did complain to the management about the rash driving. The end result, that moron drove very slow today morning and ensured we are about 30 mins late from the scheduled login time
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:47   #6150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I did complain to the management about the rash driving. The end result, that moron drove very slow today morning and ensured we are about 30 mins late from the scheduled login time
Being a part of the engg. team, I have worked in close quarter with the 24 * 7 TAC team in my ex-company.
I have come to know that cab drivers are forced to drive fast due to the delay caused by the employees which don't turn up on time. Also noticed that few of the cabs are at sane speeds when there are no passengers.

Most Viewed