Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2010, 01:24   #6181
Senior - BHPian

CNN showed a flash about a bus truck collision killing 23. Anyone got anything on this ?
Old 27th June 2010, 01:55   #6182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Here is a i20 accident picture. It has been posted by carwale user mehul_bh

It has been declared as Total loss
Wow this dude is real smart! Bought a fully loaded Asta...decision probably saved his and his family's life

BTW I wonder if 6 airbags are better than 2. I mean, of course they are (!), but the other 4 are useful only in some types of collisions right? So how much is the marginal utility of additional airbags in the side windows, rear windscreen etc.
Old 27th June 2010, 06:34   #6183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
So how much is the marginal utility of additional airbags in the side windows, rear windscreen etc.
I am not very good in explaining things like these but still, here is what I think:

In case of a severe collision, your head tends to experience lots of jerks. Though head-rests are designed to avoid a whip-lash , there is a fair probability that the head might strike the window glass. Side airbags therefore, play quite a role even if the collision isn't exactly on the left or right side of the car. Its not that the side airbags safeguard occupants from impacts on doors of the car only. Even in a head on collision these things play a significant role.

Overall, even though their utility may be considered marginal, why take chances if one can afford to buy a car loaded with full quota of airbags?

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 27th June 2010 at 06:38.
Old 27th June 2010, 08:35   #6184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
I am not very good in explaining things like these but still, here is what I think:

In case of a severe collision, your head tends to experience lots of jerks. Though head-rests are designed to avoid a whip-lash , there is a fair probability that the head might strike the window glass. Side airbags therefore, play quite a role even if the collision isn't exactly on the left or right side of the car. Its not that the side airbags safeguard occupants from impacts on doors of the car only. Even in a head on collision these things play a significant role.

Overall, even though their utility may be considered marginal, why take chances if one can afford to buy a car loaded with full quota of airbags?
Yeah, especially when the car sverves/ rolls and when inertia comes to play.
But we have a problem here, because the i20 is probably the only sub 10lakh car that offers 6 airbags. People who want to buy a Scorp/Mid-sizer/entry level hatch don't have a choice.
Thanks to the insensitive nature of the govt. and car manufacturers. Why even the Getz is offered with 6 airbags, while the Indian Verna doesn't even have a driver airbag even as an option.
Old 27th June 2010, 09:18   #6185
BHPian

BREAKING NEWS:
9 Mumbaikars who were returning from their Hyderabad tour were 'crushed' to death when the black Scorpio they were travelling in crashed into a truck on the Mum-Hyd Highway. It is alleged that the Scorp was travelling on the wrong side of the road.

Other New:
A student was killed in Bangalore when he was crushed by a water tanker, after the bike he was riding was hit by it and he fell off.
Source: News9 Bangalore.

@Mods I post this more than 30 minutes after my previous one, hence I was not able to edit and fit this info in my previous post.
Old 27th June 2010, 10:27   #6186
Distinguished - BHPian

TO ALL GUYS WHO RE-POST REPORTS OF ACCIDENTS REPORTED IN THE MEDIA :

Why ?
How does it help ?
What value does such re-posting provide the community ?
Were you there that you guys are sharing your experience with us ?

Man, I got enough news papers to come across such reports. I dont see any reason for such RE-REPORTING.

Thanks !
Old 27th June 2010, 10:27   #6187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Yeah, especially when the car sverves/ rolls and when inertia comes to play.
But we have a problem here, because the i20 is probably the only sub 10lakh car that offers 6 airbags. People who want to buy a Scorp/Mid-sizer/entry level hatch don't have a choice.

Very true.
Quote:
Thanks to the insensitive nature of the govt. and car manufacturers..

Actually we as buyers are more to be blamed than anyone else. If manufacturers will see adequate demand for i20 (with full safety equip) , they'll soon follow with newer versions of their cars with all important safety features.

Palio/sienna's top end versions were introduced with airbags. How many top end versions of Palio/Sienna we see on the roads?

Similarly, we don't see many ZXi versions of Swift/Ritz on the road.

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS:
It doesn't amaze me that India has the largest no. of road fatalities in the world.

If people can't drive on right side of the road, how can we expect them to realize the importance of safety features we were just discussing about?

Any detail about the biker wearing a helmet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Why ?
How does it help ?

Man, I got enough news papers to come across such reports. I dont see any reason for such RE-REPORTING.

Thanks !
I'll beg to differ. This thread is not for entertainment purposes. Its not that people enjoy those pics of bent metal people post here. Nor do people enjoy narrating first hand experiences about witnessing these mishaps.

This thread is about making a difference. Even if its marginal.

How does it matter if someone Re-posts reports from media?? All that matters is that we are coming to know about the mishaps and I guess that itself is the sole purpose of this thread.

As for re-posting of news from media, I never came to know about the incidents just mentioned. Although I do go through my newspapers carefully. So, if someone shares a news he got to read in a local newspaper with other members from various places, who might have not read about these mishaps, what is wrong with it?

Also, if you are talking about Arkin evoisrevo's post, maybe you aren't aware that he doesn't drive yet. He isn't eligible for a DL hence it might not be always possible for him to pass on first hand experiences to us. We should also appreciate the fact that a young bhpian is spreading awareness about road safety on this forum, especially when we have under-aged drivers creating havoc out there.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 27th June 2010 at 10:40.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:59   #6188
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The sole purpose of this thread is to post Pictures of Accidents in India, most of the discussion here is OT, even after several warnings by Mods.
Old 27th June 2010, 12:09   #6189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ The sole purpose of this thread is to post Pictures of Accidents in India, most of the discussion here is OT, even after several warnings by Mods.

Sorry for going OT, but what are pics without discussions?

This ain't 'weird and wacky mod jobs' thread where we can laugh at the pics and post more of them.

As for the repeated warnings by Mods, I haven't got one on this thread even though am quite regular.

@MODS----
Mods may delete/edit my posts as per the rules of this thread. But if its really a Pics only thread and nothing but pics only are allowed here, I wasn't warned/notified about it previously. Also, if its required for us to stick to pics only, I'll request that instead of deleting 'discussions' from here, a new thread, something like "ACCIDENTS IN INDIA--DISCUSSIONS" (if there isn't something similar already) may be created and all the discussions we have had here since all these days may be shifted to the new thread.

regards.
Old 27th June 2010, 12:23   #6190
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to the insensitive nature of the govt. and car manufacturers. Why even the Getz is offered with 6 airbags, while the Indian Verna doesn't even have a driver airbag even as an option.
Quote:
Very true.
Actually we as buyers are more to be blamed than anyone else. If manufacturers will see adequate demand for i20 (with full safety equip) , they'll soon follow with newer versions of their cars with all important safety features.

Palio/sienna's top end versions were introduced with airbags. How many top end versions of Palio/Sienna we see on the roads?

Similarly, we don't see many ZXi versions of Swift/Ritz on the road.
Of course car buyers are to be blamed - not enough of us care to pay anything more for safety features, that too in a country like India, where we probably need such features the most! **

To an extent we cant blame car manufacturers if they only cater to what the majority customers demand. Can therefore understand them providing features in only the top variants - the mid and lower variants would become less competitive if they offer features that the public doesnt care for. But Hyundai really did a shameful thing by not equipping even the top variant of the Verna with Airbags. Really gotta admire Nissan for providing all variants of the Micra with at least one airbag. **Disclaimer here**

It all boils down to the government. The same 'customer indifference' + 'carmakers' hands tied' argument applied when seatbelts weren't mandatory. But thats exactly when the state should step in - when free markets fail! Like so many others in this forum, even I think that the state should make ABS and Airbags compulsory on all cars (not to mention bring in some real safety standards so that deathtraps such as the 5-gen old M800 can be phased out immediately).

**While both are extremely necessary features, if I were to pick only one; I personally would pick ABS over Airbags. While Airbags (passive safety devices) come in handy at relatively higher speeds, ABS (active safety devices) can often help avoid an accident altogether. Which makes it unfortunate that Nissan (XE and XL variants of the Micra) and Hyundai (Sportz version of the i10) think a single airbag (driver side) is a better feature to offer than ABS. Guess its more of a costing decision. But didn't they figure that Indians almost never travel without the car having at least 2 inmates???
Old 27th June 2010, 12:42   #6191
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The discussion is good if it is limited to the comments on pictures but a lot of discussions go much beyond that.
Old 27th June 2010, 12:51   #6192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Why ?
How does it help ?

Thanks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Hehe, diametrically opposite views on what this thread should serve as. Here are the potential objectives for it the way I see it...
A) Posts which have only pictures + accompanying explanations of what happened: Is primarily useful in helping us understand how accidents occur, and hopefully we gain driving gyaan without actually experiencing accidents first hand. Very noble. The less-noble use is that we also get some kind of voyeuristic pleasure in looking at crashed cars (at least happens to me sometimes! haven't you ever been hooked to sites like Wrecked Exotic Cars - Pictures of Expensive Car Crashes and Wrecks )
B) Type 'A' + posts with only pictures: Additionally, also helps us realize how unsafe our roads are. I have seen at least one person from the forum post that he changed his high-speed habits after seeing some graphic pictures in this thread. My vote is clear here.
C) Types A + B + posts with discussions: I agree with Baleno (quote below) that the discussions certainly belong here. Of course you could possibly hive it off into a separate thread, but why? Keeping them together helps manage the continuity of flow. Eg, my thoughts wandered to 6 airbags vs 2 when I see the pics of the crashed i20. Dont think I may have wondered about it in a standalone discussions thread.

I know the above options are not Mutually Exclusive and Collectively Exhaustive, but what the heck, this isnt a weekday at work!

Mods, your call now!

Quote:
Sorry for going OT, but what are pics without discussions?

This ain't 'weird and wacky mod jobs' thread where we can laugh at the pics and post more of them.

As for the repeated warnings by Mods, I haven't got one on this thread even though am quite regular.

@MODS----
Mods may delete/edit my posts as per the rules of this thread. But if its really a Pics only thread and nothing but pics only are allowed here, I wasn't warned/notified about it previously. Also, if its required for us to stick to pics only, I'll request that instead of deleting 'discussions' from here, a new thread, something like "ACCIDENTS IN INDIA--DISCUSSIONS" (if there isn't something similar already) may be created and all the discussions we have had here since all these days may be shifted to the new thread.

regards.

Last edited by buddha : 27th June 2010 at 13:01.
Old 27th June 2010, 15:23   #6193
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

A bad accident has taken place near the Andheri Flyover, Mumbai. A cement mixer has fallen over a Toyota Innova. Luckily there were no casualtie, although the driver and passengers are injured. The news is being telecasted on various channels. It seems the cement mixer fell off from the flyover.
Old 27th June 2010, 16:46   #6194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While Airbags (passive safety devices) come in handy at relatively higher speeds,
That would be speeds over about 5kmph?

Yes, this is offtopic, but the myth of what happens at what speeds continues to pervade even this informed forum, with people speaking of seat belts, city speeds, etc. If you are too close, ABS will do nothing to stop you hitting the guy in front who has just stopped suddenly. Set belts and airbags may well save your face, though.
Old 27th June 2010, 17:33   #6195
BHPian

Quote:
Of course car buyers are to be blamed - not enough of us care to pay anything more for safety features, that too in a country like India, where we probably need such features the most! **

To an extent we cant blame car manufacturers if they only cater to what the majority customers demand. Can therefore understand them providing features in only the top variants - the mid and lower variants would become less competitive if they offer features that the public doesnt care for. But Hyundai really did a shameful thing by not equipping even the top variant of the Verna with Airbags. Really gotta admire Nissan for providing all variants of the Micra with at least one airbag. **Disclaimer here**

It all boils down to the government. The same 'customer indifference' + 'carmakers' hands tied' argument applied when seatbelts weren't mandatory. But thats exactly when the state should step in - when free markets fail! Like so many others in this forum, even I think that the state should make ABS and Airbags compulsory on all cars (not to mention bring in some real safety standards so that deathtraps such as the 5-gen old M800 can be phased out immediately).

**While both are extremely necessary features, if I were to pick only one; I personally would pick ABS over Airbags. While Airbags (passive safety devices) come in handy at relatively higher speeds, ABS (active safety devices) can often help avoid an accident altogether. Which makes it unfortunate that Nissan (XE and XL variants of the Micra) and Hyundai (Sportz version of the i10) think a single airbag (driver side) is a better feature to offer than ABS. Guess its more of a costing decision. But didn't they figure that Indians almost never travel without the car having at least 2 inmates???

As to the Micra, lets assume the Micra sells enough, but not to Nissan's expectations. Market feedback suggests it is perceived as being 20K-25K over-priced by junta. I hope I am wrong, but my gut feeling is we will have a variant that is 20K cheaper but minus the driver-airbag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks