Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 10:52   #6526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Also, if I remember correctly the airbags will only work if the speed is above 40kmph. Below that the airbags do not work.

I don't see any issue here if the airbags did not work. Both passenger and co-passenger walked out with no injuries. Which showed the car did it's job of absorbing the impact. For such accidents if the airbag did work both occupants may have had small injuries due to the airbag.
+1 if the airbags deploy for minor crashes the cost of repair runs really high, especially to replace them.

Pramod
Old 1st August 2010, 13:41   #6527
BHPian

This happened yesterday afternoon around 2:45PM near BDA Complex in Nagarabhavi (Bangalore) ( the road which is opposite to BDA Complex which goes to Annapurneshwari Nagar ). The owner parked the car on the road which was inclined and stepped out but forgot to apply the hand brakes and the car rolled forward and fell in this fashion but no one was injured. Can anyone tell me will engaging first gear do the job of hand break ?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01603.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01597.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01598.jpg  

Old 1st August 2010, 14:10   #6528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
This happened yesterday afternoon around 2:45PM near BDA Complex in Nagarabhavi (Bangalore) ( the road which is opposite to BDA Complex which goes to Annapurneshwari Nagar ). The owner parked the car on the road which was inclined and stepped out but forgot to apply the hand brakes and the car rolled forward and fell in this fashion but no one was injured. Can anyone tell me will engaging first gear do the job of hand break ?
that is hilarious! feel bad for the car though - for having a careless owner!

if the incline is not steep, putting the car in the 1st gear (if the incline is backwards - front facing the incline) or in the reverse gear (if the incline is forwards - back facing the incline) should hold the vehicle in its place. however, if the incline is too steep, i would recommend using the above technique in conjunction with the handbrake.

PS: in the last picture, the Ritz's butt looks ugly!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st August 2010 at 14:11.
Old 1st August 2010, 14:17   #6529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
that is hilarious! feel bad for the car though - for having a careless owner!
Really sad looking at this condition of the ritz,it looks to be well mantained.
O.T. The careless owner is now a car-less owner!
Old 1st August 2010, 15:09   #6530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The owner parked the car on the road which was inclined and stepped out but forgot to apply the hand brakes and the car rolled forward and fell in this fashion but no one was injured. Can anyone tell me will engaging first gear do the job of hand break ?
It would in most instances.

Pity about the car! Coincidentally I saw a pic. of a similar incident from what might've been a similar reason, in a driving rules/safety book I bought in Singapore, dating from the 70s/80s.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_6989.jpg
Old 1st August 2010, 15:26   #6531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think, if the car is forward facing on an incline then engaging the reverse gear will help. Otherwise if the slope is towards the backside, then engaging the first gear will help. Still handbrake is a must. Feel pity about the Ritz though. What's the round structure between the rear wheels? Is it the stepney or the fuel tank?
Old 1st August 2010, 16:16   #6532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The driver was wearing a seatbelt so was co passenger. To save a cow from being hit on the road, he lost control and hit that tree. Minor injuries but both were saved by seat belts. Speed must be 30-40kph at the time of impact.
Can't believe that a speed of 30-40 kph can cause so much impact.
Old 1st August 2010, 16:21   #6533
BHPian

Had kiss with the pavement leading a lengthy scratch on the entire length of the car during my recent trip to Bangalore for no fault of mine. I had to take a U turn under the Domlur flyover to proceed towards Kormangala.

An innova guy who had parked on the far left hand side of slightly cramped U turn spot waiting to pick up someone and so every one was using the space on the right hand side to make the U. Following the traffic when i was just about to make my, this lady comes in opens the innova door wide open on the right hand side so that she could get in. I had to steer hard to the right to avoid hitting the door and ended up kissing the pavement leading to an ugly scratch. The Innova driver immediately made apologetic gesture but to everybody's surprise the lady was screaming that it was my fault ! I dint feel like getting out and yelling which would end up in bad traffic hold up; in any even other occupants of the Innova realized it was their fellow passengers fault - but sadly had to come back home with a ugly bruise. The car never had any bruise marks for the past 4 years except for a minor marking on the front wheel well jacket.
Old 1st August 2010, 16:41   #6534
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a thread about parking in gear. Generally, yes, it will stop a car moving. 1st/reverse? Direction of the hill makes no difference: reverse is a lower gear ratio than 1st, so theoretically more secure. I generally choose which ever direction would do least damage in the unlikely even of my forgetting to check the lever and put my foot on the clutch before turning the key!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
... I don't see any issue here if the airbags did not work. Both passenger and co-passenger walked out with no injuries. Which showed the car did it's job of absorbing the impact. For such accidents if the airbag did work both occupants may have had small injuries due to the airbag.
This is not the issue! The issue is that, when the car stops rather more suddenly than normal, the people do not, and carry on at the same speed until they meat dashboard, windscreen, road after hitting windscreen, etc.

That's what seat belts are for.

the crush zones are to help prevent the cabin space sardining you: they do not protect you from your own impact with the car.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st August 2010 at 16:45.
Old 1st August 2010, 21:04   #6535
Senior - BHPian

@prguru: Thats a very sad and annoying accident to happen. I too might have faced such an incident in 2004 at the steepy ghats near BabaBuddanGiri in Chikmanglur. Me and my friends stepped out from my Maruti 800 on a curve. Roads are very narrow and no protective walls or anything on either sides. I engaged the hand brake. But, as I was new to cars, I did not pull it 100%. May be 90% was pulled which was always sufficient at most places in Bangalore. Alll of a sudden the car started going down. On time, I opened the door and slammed the brakes. If I had delayed it even by a second, the car would have taken a 300-500 foot drop
Old 1st August 2010, 21:55   #6536
BHPian

It is always correct to put your feet on the clutch pedal as a habit before starting your car - in the event of parking in gear, this would greatly help.

I felt sorry for the Ritz owner - such a careless driving - or absent mindedness.
Old 1st August 2010, 22:04   #6537
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I think, if the car is forward facing on an incline then engaging the reverse gear will help. Otherwise if the slope is towards the backside, then engaging the first gear will help. Still handbrake is a must.
The reverse gear / first gear logic doesn't work. The car wont move, no matter which one of these gears you engage. Sometimes the slopes are steep and handbrake are not enough.
Old 1st August 2010, 22:05   #6538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
O.T. The careless owner is now a car-less owner!
but on a serious note like funkykar has mentioned we should be doubly sure of applying hand brakes and even engaging the gear in these kind of steep inclines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
@prguru: Thats a very sad and annoying accident to happen. I too might have faced such an incident in 2004 at the steepy ghats near BabaBuddanGiri in Chikmanglur. Me and my friends stepped out from my Maruti 800 on a curve. Roads are very narrow and no protective walls or anything on either sides. I engaged the hand brake. But, as I was new to cars, I did not pull it 100%. May be 90% was pulled which was always sufficient at most places in Bangalore. Alll of a sudden the car started going down. On time, I opened the door and slammed the brakes. If I had delayed it even by a second, the car would have taken a 300-500 foot drop
Yes your quick reaction saved your car from falling down but if the owner is a little old they may not be able to react and jump in to stop it is what I feel. So best way to avoid it is to check if hand brakes are on and also the gear.

By looking at the Ritz with its windows rolled up seems like the owner parked it and got out and may be he forgot to pull the hand brake lever to 100% or something and the car started rolling down after he got out. The incline is very steep and if allowed to roll freely the car can reach speeds of up to 60 kms there so people are lucky that the car turned left and crashed otherwise it could have turned into something really serious.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:16   #6539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
It is always correct to put your feet on the clutch pedal as a habit before starting your car - in the event of parking in gear, this would greatly help.
in our Getz, this is a standard feature - i have to depress the clutch pedal to start the car. it won't start otherwise. nice safety feature IMO. not sure of the other Hyundai's have this feature.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:34   #6540
Distinguished - BHPian

The ritz bum-up accident.
I liked the sign of the shop where it dropped in.
now, had it been a MS Esteem, instead of MS Ritz, it would have been protected!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks