Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 21:37   #6586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Hi All,
My first post so thrilled a lot...but surely saddened to post about an accident.

We have all heard about crumple zones and airbags, but such accidents (and their pics) adds to the fact that when you buy a car, please never compromise on safety.
The following accident took place at Salt Lake, Kolkata on Sunday.
A VW Passat hits almost Head on with a City Bus (fellow kolkata'ans will know about the Red Mini Buses). As per people gathered around, the bus took a wrong side to avoid a u-turn ahead and turned for its way not realizing this passat speeding on the opposite side.
I couldn't click the inside of the passat but managed a click of the exterior. It explains all that needs to be inferred I think. Inside, both front air bags deployed saving the driver and the co-passenger. And no damage at all on the inside.

I think this answers the apprehensions of most about whether to pay for the extra costly safety feature of Air Bags.

Attachment 404216

My mom saw the car. She couldnt tell me which was that but now I know. So where the passengers safe because I heard there was blood in front of the car.???

Last edited by Pancham : 12th August 2010 at 21:39.
Old 12th August 2010, 22:30   #6587
BHPian

@ pancham : Yeah the passengers were safe as to what I could realize of the situation. Just two of them on the front seat, hopefully saved by the airbags and seat belt. And I think it wasnt blood on the bonnet, probably the paint of the red mini bus (i presume as it wasn't wet).
There was one man injured (seemed a passer by), but not much, just hit near the knee...saw him setting beside the road.
Old 12th August 2010, 23:59   #6588
BHPian

Dont know what the story behind the crash is, but this is near Sriperumbudur, on the NH4.Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05082010039.jpg

Last edited by Nitronium : 13th August 2010 at 00:08.
Old 13th August 2010, 00:05   #6589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Dont know what the story behind the crash is, but this is near Sriperumbudur, on the NH4.
You forgot to attach the pic!
Old 13th August 2010, 06:48   #6590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont know what the story behind the crash is, but this is near Sriperumbudur, on the NH4.Attachment 404763

What car is that? Going by the wheels looks like an 800/Alto to me. Kindly confirm. Also any news about the occupants?

Dunno if its just due to the pic but those tires look quite bald to me.

Regards.

EDIT- Okay I saved the pic and then zoomed in on the tires. They are indeed bald. So devoid of tread pattern that they may put racing slicks to shame.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 13th August 2010 at 06:53.
Old 13th August 2010, 15:06   #6591
BHPian

Quote:
Dont know what the story behind the crash is, but this is near Sriperumbudur, on the NH4
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Also any news about the occupants?
Looking at a couple of pairs of shoes and clothing in the picture, together with car's crumpled state, unfortunately, I won't be having too high hopes about the condition of victims..
Old 13th August 2010, 16:59   #6592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
What car is that? Going by the wheels looks like an 800/Alto to me. Kindly confirm. Also any news about the occupants?
nothing identifiable in the picture, but looking at the rims i think it is an Alto. could be a IndiCab too. don't know.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:02   #6593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
nothing identifiable in the picture, but looking at the rims i think it is an Alto. could be a IndiCab too. don't know.
I too felt the same. Its not really recognizable in the picture. I feel its an Indica involved in a proper head on collision.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:41   #6594
BHPian

I guess that the above car Maruti 800 (model type-2). My guess is based on its Tailgate and Rim. Tire may be one of the reasons for accident. Seems like the car toppled while going at high speed and hit some pole or wall at the middle.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:42   #6595
Senior - BHPian

I think it is an 800, looking at the door rims and the shade of white.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:36   #6596
Senior - BHPian

I am 100% sure that its a Maruti 800. Look at the marked areas in the pic, the box housing of speedometer and the aftermarket centre console with those cup holder tray jutting out. Also as rajushank84 rightly said the pattern and design of rear door clearly states its M 800. I doubt if anyone survived though.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05082010039.jpg  

Old 13th August 2010, 18:46   #6597
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
My first post so thrilled a lot...but surely saddened to post about an accident.

We have all heard about crumple zones and airbags, but such accidents (and their pics) adds to the fact that when you buy a car, please never compromise on safety.
A VW Passat hits almost Head on with a City Bus (fellow kolkata'ans will know about the Red Mini Buses). As per people gathered around, the bus took a wrong side to avoid a u-turn ahead and turned for its way not realizing this passat speeding on the opposite side.
I couldn't click the inside of the passat but managed a click of the exterior. It explains all that needs to be inferred I think. Inside, both front air bags deployed saving the driver and the co-passenger. And no damage at all on the inside.

I think this answers the apprehensions of most about whether to pay for the extra costly safety feature of Air Bags.

Attachment 404216
Where exactly in Salt lake did this happen. Is this near the AMRI Hospital?
Old 13th August 2010, 19:15   #6598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. When we have drivers who can dare to drive on the wrong side of the road then we must invest in safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroamit View Post
I guess that the above car Maruti 800 (model type-2). My guess is based on its Tailgate and Rim. Tire may be one of the reasons for accident. Seems like the car toppled while going at high speed and hit some pole or wall at the middle.
But could be an Indica as well.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:31   #6599
Senior - BHPian

The white small car that is completely smashed is M800 IMO. I have an edited picture for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-copy-m800-mostly.jpg  

Old 13th August 2010, 19:34   #6600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Attachment 404216
The Passat may be costing about 10 times the present value of the wretched mini bus. But sadly such Mini Buses of Kolkata inflict 10 times greater damage on a car like the Passat.I mean that the damage done to the minibus may have been 1/10th of that done to the Passat.
The passenger cabin is quite intact with such an impact though.There may have been injuries on the person of the occupants but presumably all are safe.
Very sad indeed! Historically, since ages these minibuses and also the larger Tata private buses (with wooden bodies) are recklessly driven and create terror on Kolkata streets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks