Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2010, 23:26   #6901
Senior - BHPian

How do you know when a vehicle is a total loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Thats a total loss for sure. Will the owner will get a new car?. If so, how much lighter will his pocket be?.
The Polo does indeed look badly damaged. Feel so sad about it.

An off topic question here guys: How do you know when a vehicle is a total loss? I mean how do the insurance guys ascertain that for certain accidents, the vehicle damage is irreparable while for some it is not? And what happens in a case such as the Toyota Fortuner pics posted, some pages back? Will that Fortuner be also declared as a total loss?
Old 17th October 2010, 01:49   #6902
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ My understanding is, if the repair cost comes to over 75% of the IDV, vehicle is declared as a total loss. (Not very sure about the 75 figure, could be higher)

In that case, owner gets the IDV, insurance company gets the damaged car (which they then sell as scrap and recover some of the money, I guess).

I don't think Fortuner would be declared a total loss.
Old 17th October 2010, 09:19   #6903
Senior - BHPian

A vehicle Can be called a total loss if the chassis plate / goda ( where the front suspension is mounted) damaged or the pillars are damaged. this will require the shell to be changed and in 90% cases also the engine.

but getting a week old polo total loss in the above shown pics is not possible and its not majorly damaged except the hatch door

The total loos vehicle is then taken by the insurer and auctioned of and most of the buyers are Second hand car dealer and the get cheap cut and paste job done and sell it of to some unsuspecting buyer
Old 17th October 2010, 10:45   #6904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
In many parts of kerala, the mahindra pickups are used for carrying the liquor from place to place. These vehicles drive very fast, they don't even care for any other vehicles feelings.... So, while driving in kerala, if I (not me alone, many other people familiar to me also) see a mahindra pickup approaching from behind, I immediately give way to it to avoid issues. We used to feel that there may be some tubes put from the liquor barrels they carry to the driver cabin Many of this type of vehicles do not have the bumpers at all. even if they have, it will be in some hanging state.
This scenarios are very common in our state too. Also we can read lot of accidents reports in the newspaper that, "Liquor Van flipped in the road and trespassers/public happily went off with left liquors".

There are even unofficial source claiming that this kind of accidents are done intensionally for the benefit of some interloper during on election time/public holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
A vehicle Can be called a total loss if the chassis plate / goda ( where the front suspension is mounted) damaged or the pillars are damaged. this will require the shell to be changed and in 90% cases also the engine.

but getting a week old polo total loss in the above shown pics is not possible and its not majorly damaged except the hatch door

The total loos vehicle is then taken by the insurer and auctioned of and most of the buyers are Second hand car dealer and the get cheap cut and paste job done and sell it of to some unsuspecting buyer
Manik bhai, this I never heard before. I thought dealer will buy any used/damaged vehicle from private owners in dead cheap rate compared to Market. But this auction is really making me afraid to go with Dealer for any used car.

Whether this is the case throughout the part of the India?

Regards,
Camon
Old 17th October 2010, 11:04   #6905
BHPian

Years back (may be 10 years or so), I have seen a terrible accident which is still fresh in my memories..

It was near Ankamaly, about 30 kms away from Ernakulam (Kochi). (Exact spot : about 700 meters
away from angamaly town in ALUVA road). One contessa car and a lorry were involved in the accident. We know, the contessa car is very flat and having low height. After dashing against, the lorry 'literally' ran over the car and the occupants died on the spot due to the 'tyres running over them'. Blood was shed throughout the car and the car was badly damaged. Any one of you remember this incident ?

Once upon a time, I was also a proud contessa owner !! Whenever I see or think of contessa, this scene also comes to my mind ! Recently, when I went to see one used Maruti Baleno to buy, seeing the resemblance to contessa having low stance, this incident immediately came to my mind !! The accident scene was so tragic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post

Manik bhai, this I never heard before. I thought dealer will buy any used/damaged vehicle from private owners in dead cheap rate compared to Market. But this auction is really making me afraid to go with Dealer for any used car.

Whether this is the case throughout the part of the India?

Regards,
Camon
My friend has sold his maruti 800 car to a maruti true value, when he purchased a swift from them. After two weeks, the car appeared in their true value used car outlet with odometer reading 20,000 less !! So, do not blindly believe anybody. Even vehicles involved in accidents also may come.

Last edited by KMohanan : 17th October 2010 at 11:18. Reason: correction of mistake
Old 17th October 2010, 11:31   #6906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
My Friend has sold his maruti 800 car to a maruti true value, when he purchased a swift from them. After two weeks, the car appeared in their true value used car outlet with odometer reading 20,000 less !! So, do not blindly believe anybody. Even vehicles involved in accidents also may come.
Thanks Mohanan.

But also those things definitely asking me one Question, "Is it Sin to be born in India?"

Adulteration are 0% non-existence; Wherever we go

Actually I thought to buy an used Safari/Scorpio in near future. Now I'm torched out by my fellow bhpians and keep away from dealers.

Thanks,
Camon

Last edited by camon : 17th October 2010 at 11:38. Reason: Updated the Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 11:33   #6907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I don't think Fortuner would be declared a total loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Thanks for the replies Both the Fortuner and the Polo don't seem to have any major damage to the chassis thats why I asked the question.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:56   #6908
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Will the owner will get a new car?. If so, how much lighter will his pocket be?.
The Polo isn't a total loss. Just for clarification : If a week old car ends up as a total loss case, the owner stands to lose about 5 - 8% of the IDV, and the amount paid as road tax & insurance premium. Net loss usually comes up to about 15%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
^^^ My understanding is, if the repair cost comes to over 75% of the IDV, vehicle is declared as a total loss. (Not very sure about the 75 figure, could be higher)
You are correct. 75% is about the ballpark repair cost for an insurance company to declare a car as total loss.

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2010 at 10:57.
Old 19th October 2010, 08:41   #6909
Senior - BHPian

19th Oct 2010, 1:37AM, JVLR Gandhi Nagar Fly over, we aptly call it a Death Spot now, A long Screeching of brakes, A loud Thud and, Another One Strikes the Divider...

Many authorites seem to be turning blind eye towards this spot which requires swift attention for implementing the Road Safety measures against such errant, speedy driving down the slope from IIT Bombay to Gandhi Nagar junction.

I had posted another accident earlier at the same spot where a verna had climbed on the divider and gone beyond 15ft over it and the driver having lost his life.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-p103060080pc.jpg

The snap is taken right after the thud. Will try taking some daylight shots and upload later.

Last edited by parsh : 19th October 2010 at 08:45.
Old 19th October 2010, 09:05   #6910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
19th Oct 2010, 1:37AM, JVLR Gandhi Nagar Fly over, we aptly call it a Death Spot now, A long Screeching of brakes, A loud Thud and, Another One Strikes the Divider...

Many authorites seem to be turning blind eye towards this spot which requires swift attention for implementing the Road Safety measures against such errant, speedy driving down the slope from IIT Bombay to Gandhi Nagar junction.

I had posted another accident earlier at the same spot where a verna had climbed on the divider and gone beyond 15ft over it and the driver having lost his life.

Attachment 440616

The snap is taken right after the thud. Will try taking some daylight shots and upload later.
+1. i know this place (i live close by), extremely risky for new comers! i have myself seen many shunts.

by the way 'parsh', how did you get such a aerial shot? you live in the building nearby?
Old 19th October 2010, 09:33   #6911
Senior - BHPian

Is that car a lancer?
Old 19th October 2010, 10:10   #6912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
+1. i know this place (i live close by), extremely risky for new comers! i have myself seen many shunts.

by the way 'parsh', how did you get such a aerial shot? you live in the building nearby?
yes raj, right across, up in air in Jupiter, if you know.

i had in fact posted a story to mumbai mirror. a few of us from group had even had word with MMRDA and traffic police departments directly showing them various dangerous pictures of the "Death Spot". but nobody seems to have bothered about it. we are trying to raise concern to the respective authorities. guess it will need a serious hard drive for safety measures to be implemented here.

fortunately, the driver and the co-driver walked out of the car unhurt and were checking out the damage, trying to revive the engine and get it out. But ofcourse it was not possible for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Is that car a lancer?
no, its a second generation honda city

mods: sorry for the back to back posts. forgot to answer sid's query. if required, please merge the two.

Last edited by Dippy : 19th October 2010 at 11:12. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 19th October 2010, 13:34   #6913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Is that car a lancer?
its a NHC, i spotted the car today morning, its still lying there!

Quote:
yes raj, right across, up in air in Jupiter, if you know.
yes, i do know, as i stay in hiranandani.

Quote:
fortunately, the driver and the co-driver walked out of the car unhurt and were checking out the damage, trying to revive the engine and get it out. But ofcourse it was not possible for them.
by the looks of it, the engine seems to have taken a beating.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:40   #6914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Saw this yesterday near Railway Lights (towards pkl). Alto was sandwiched between an Indica and a bus.

Dont know exactly what happened, but this what I think happened:
Black Indica was ahead of the pack, he suddenly braked and rammed into the railing. Alto was trailing the Indica and he couldn't brake in time and rammed into indica. There was bus behind alto, which further pushed him into the indica and mangled the car.
don't feel sorry for the alto guy - he earned it like a bournville
Old 19th October 2010, 14:44   #6915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you guys go and stick some Cat Eye reflectors there? I know it will be illegal but people are losing lives. By the time govt wakes up many more would have lost lives.

Most Viewed