Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 22:55   #6931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
A Couple carrying their dead son for crematorium in their native village met with a accident after the ambulance rammed the rear end of a parked truck. As per reports, the driver dozed off at the wheel leading to the accident. Husband is in critical condition.

The driver survived. Wife, Driver Aide, and one relative of the Couple died in the accident.
Sarvodaya - Where did this happen? You haven't mentioned the accident spot.
Old 20th October 2010, 00:03   #6932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Sarvodaya - Where did this happen? You haven't mentioned the accident spot.
that accident has happened somewhere in Tamil Nadu, in and around Chennai i suppose. found that out by searching for the cellphone numbers on the ambulance (courtesy mobiletracer.in)
Old 20th October 2010, 09:08   #6933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Can you guys go and stick some Cat Eye reflectors there? I know it will be illegal but people are losing lives. By the time govt wakes up many more would have lost lives.
i know. there was actually a big fluorescent iron board earlier at this spot right at the beginning of the divider standing quite tall for people to see. but that was blown away by the earlier verna accident. then there is pretty small but identifiable post put up there. but that doesnt help much.

the problem is with the slope and the way people drive.

i particularly experimented driving at 50-60 from top of the slope down to this point. when you start from top IIT signal, there is a bling curve and then it gets really blinding even in the daylight and you tend to mis-judge the divider. i myself thought, since i was conscious also, that i may just bang into it even at this speed if not controlled properly.

what i think is there are some serious speed restriction measures be applied at such locations something similar to the ones you see at toll nakas. we tried drilling this down to the mmrda and traffice police authorities and their's has been totally negative stand on this. let us see, we will keep fighting.

Last edited by parsh : 20th October 2010 at 09:09.
Old 20th October 2010, 09:41   #6934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
that accident has happened somewhere in Tamil Nadu, in and around Chennai i suppose. found that out by searching for the cellphone numbers on the ambulance (courtesy mobiletracer.in)
It was near Tuticorin, I saw it yesterday during my drive. It was on the new 4-lane from Tuticorin to Madurai.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:41   #6935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
It was near Tuticorin, I saw it yesterday during my drive. It was on the new 4-lane from Tuticorin to Madurai.
i know this place! last year in June we drove down to Pondy for a few days! at that time the road was under construction and vehicles plying in all directions! it was scary! fortunately the drive was during the day!
Old 20th October 2010, 15:10   #6936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
when you start from top IIT signal, there is a bling curve and then it gets really blinding even in the daylight and you tend to mis-judge the divider.
They really shouldn't set all that diamonds and shiny gold in the road surface!

(Sorry, parsh... I just love a good typo! Of course the word you intended to type is obvious)
Old 20th October 2010, 16:35   #6937
BHPian

Parsh: I have missed hitting his divider, last year during of my visits to Mumbai.

Longford: Sorry to hear about your friend.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:48   #6938
BHPian

I saw a massive accident near the Badminton Academy in Gachibowli, Hyderabad around 9 pm. I could see a Tata Indigo with a crushed front and in front of it there was a crushed scooter. The accident was so bad that it happened on the IIT to Infosys lane, and the scooter rider's slipper was on the other side of the divider. Today morning saw a Chevorlet Beat too with a damaged front at the same place. So it seems 3 vehicles were involved. Any more info on this?
Old 22nd October 2010, 13:27   #6939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They really shouldn't set all that diamonds and shiny gold in the road surface!

(Sorry, parsh... I just love a good typo! Of course the word you intended to type is obvious)
Hey, thanks for pointing it out. Didnt notice it until you brought it out bold . It ofcourse means "BLIND".
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:49   #6940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Just to update all , there was a horrific accident on Palm Beach this afternoon near Bhoomi Raj Mall between the Sanpada signal and Nerul Signal.

A Ford Endeavour going towards Vashi cut the lanes dangerously from the center lane to the right lane. The cutting at high speeds was so bad that the Santro in the right lane got thrown across the divider onto the incoming traffic. The Ford Endeavour also crossed the divider and and ended up in the right lane of the oncoming traffic. A Hyundai Accent coming in that lane had a full blown head on collusion. The driver in the Accent died on the spot while among the passengers in the back seat, one person is dead and his wife is critical in the hospital. There were at least 4-5 other cars which also got hit in this.

The dead passenger, is my colleague - Sh.Sanjay Radkar who was a very high ranking official from the PM's office on deputation. He is survived by his wife and daughter who will be completing 5 years on 31 Oct. He was to be 49 years on Nov 15 and was one of the most humble people I have known.

Can't tell how deeply tragic this afternoon has been. Imagine an Accent driving at good speed in the right lane on Palm Beach Road, and has a head on with a truck like Endeavour. Its like ramming into a wall akin to those crash test dummy tests.

May the Lord rest his soul and please pray that the wife/mother survives and the 5 year is not orphaned . Thanks.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in this thread.
Mother departed for heavenly abode this after noon at 12:30. It's high time speed checking gets started on palm beach road, which people cruise like they are on a racing track and put the life of others on stake. For their own life they are least bothered it seems

Last edited by dkcrpl : 22nd October 2010 at 15:50.
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:02   #6941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcrpl View Post
Mother departed for heavenly abode this after noon at 12:30. It's high time speed checking gets started on palm beach road, which people cruise like they are on a racing track and put the life of others on stake. For their own life they are least bothered it seems
Tragic to say the least. Esp for the little girl.My heart bleeds for all these kids whose lives and future gets hit so badly that they seldom fully recover from their loss.

Around 11:30 this morning I checked to be told that the rest of the body was OK, but the clot in the brain is the big block which was also not sending enough signals to the heart. The surgeon was not sure what to do as the risk of operating that specific zone could have been fatal. Its quite a dilemma for the relatives and doctors, not knowing how to deal with pulling the plug or not.

In a way, God did take the call to help the folks to move on.
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:03   #6942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcrpl View Post
Mother departed for heavenly abode this after noon at 12:30.
May her soul RIP. Let's all pray that the little girl gets enough strength and courage to sustain this irrepairable loss.

SAD, SAD news to carry over the weekend. Feeling terrible.
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:40   #6943
Senior - BHPian

banged up honda city.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo1296.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2010, 22:57   #6944
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ It seems that the driver completely messed up while reversing and hit a post/pole or something similar. Actually, if this is what I think, then it has happened many a time to more than one dear friends of mine.

Reason: High speed reversing, taking a turn and ignorant of the fact that the car steers very differently while reversing.
Old 24th October 2010, 00:02   #6945
Distinguished - BHPian

Sardar Patel Road tonight, the flyover at the Koturpuram junction, coming from Guindy towards Adyar.

Eventually realised there must be a good reason why the left hand lane is moving, and the right hand lane isn't, so managed to get into it. There's a pair of pillars at the entrance to the flyover, right? Not any longer... One of them was lying smashed on the road underneath, while a beaten up Innova [???] was across the road just on the flyover. It was the right way up, but looked like it might not have been throughout whatever happened to it.

No pics. If I had stopped to take them, I would have been very unpopular with hundreds of delayed drivers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks