Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 13:45   #6991
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, I sure hope the occupants emerged alive. It's so badly mangled that, looking at the first pic, you'd be hard pressed to guess the make & model!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05112010453.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05112010448.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05112010449.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05112010450.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05112010451.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05112010452.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-05112010454.jpg
Old 8th November 2010, 13:54   #6992
Senior - BHPian

That Dezire looks horrible, hard to believe that occupants emerged alive. I feel that the car was stationary when something rammed into it.
Old 8th November 2010, 13:58   #6993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gosh, I sure hope the occupants emerged alive. It's so badly mangled that, looking at the first pic, you'd be hard pressed to guess the make & model!
Oh my God! After seeing the pics, came to know that it was a Swift, but only after seeing the reflectors in the rear bumper, concluded that it is a Dezire.

Wondering what mangled it!
Old 8th November 2010, 14:35   #6994
Senior - BHPian

I could make out nothing from the first pic, its just a junk of metal.

On the pic 05112010450.jpg, the front handle is black while the rear is body coloured. How did that happen? Was the front door replaced leaving the handles non body coloured hinting the guy is least bothered about the car or a bad driver?
Old 8th November 2010, 17:15   #6995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I could make out nothing from the first pic, its just a junk of metal.

On the pic 05112010450.jpg, the front handle is black while the rear is body coloured. How did that happen? Was the front door replaced leaving the handles non body coloured hinting the guy is least bothered about the car or a bad driver?
earlier content**deleted** due to myopic vision on my part..

could have been a lack of availability rather than not being bothered about the car.

Last edited by mayankk : 8th November 2010 at 17:19.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:09   #6996
BHPian

This happened to my darling Swift back in June when I was travelling from Pune to Mumbai. An AP volvo bus dangerously cut lane to enter the fast lane to overtake a truck ahead of it. I was caught in this stunt and dashed the divider. I was in so much pain the moment it hit the divider. Luckily nothing happened to us and the car got away with not much damage. This was my first close accident on the e-way and it would have been worse.

Love cars Live Cars!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-26062010475.jpg  

Old 8th November 2010, 18:39   #6997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
2. After Krishnagiri towards Vaniyambadi, this Govt bus was in a bus stop in the left lane & I was on my right lane. Not sure what this guy thought, he put out his hands & wanted to move to right lane. My blinkers & horns went to blind & deaf person & this guy was absolute maniac in moving to right & once again, lady luck played. This guy suddenly changed his mind & pushed towards left lane once again.

Out of both, the second one was the most scariest experience.
Watch out, our fellow drivers are not used to slowing down, instead they quickly sway to left or right, to avoid one in the front. And since, these big vehicles do not have enough braking distance, you can expect them to take 1 or 2 arm's length on either of the lanes. But for you it is a blind spot, perhaps there's a buffalo or a parked Ape/Ace mini trucks. On those roads, I have seen cattles resting close to the median, and at high speeds and in curves, it is hard to react (for some).

I have read in this thread how a Scorpio hit a buffalo and ended up paying for damages to the nice garden in the median and also for the injured(?) buffalo, on that same highway.

Advice is - instead of alerting the other driver, just try to slow down.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:39   #6998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samigo View Post
This happened to my darling Swift back in June when I was travelling from Pune to Mumbai. An AP volvo bus dangerously cut lane to enter the fast lane to overtake a truck ahead of it. I was caught in this stunt and dashed the divider. I was in so much pain the moment it hit the divider. Luckily nothing happened to us and the car got away with not much damage. This was my first close accident on the e-way and it would have been worse.

Love cars Live Cars!
Samigo, looks like you got a burst tyre too as a result of the shunt with the divider. this must have hurt. Good heavens that it didn't turn out into anything major. Cheers, Sid
Old 8th November 2010, 18:45   #6999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samigo View Post

Love cars Live Cars!
It's a Mercedes Benz BTW. Glad that you escaped unhurt.
Old 8th November 2010, 19:32   #7000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid1509 View Post
Samigo, looks like you got a burst tyre too as a result of the shunt with the divider. this must have hurt. Good heavens that it didn't turn out into anything major. Cheers, Sid
Yes, that was a 1 month old michellin XM1+ energy with a damaged side wall and a bent tie-rod. I dashed the divider and then banged on those small rectangular stones. I don't know what to call it.

It was very scary as I braked from 140 KPH and for a minute we were completely halted in the middle of the freeway

Good that the Bus driver stopped and I was mad at him. Called the police who did not turn over since there were no casualties. They assumed that we will do a settlement and go away.
Old 9th November 2010, 08:08   #7001
BHPian

The Ford Ikons do not have good safety standards. The safest car in the hatchback segment is definitely the Fiat Punto.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:02   #7002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
The Ford Ikons do not have good safety standards. The safest car in the hatchback segment is definitely the Fiat Punto.
ahem..ahem.. could you please clarify?. I recently had an experience with my car, in which, it proved its excellent build quality... and when was the IKON hatch released.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:17   #7003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
It was a scary experience driving NH-7 yesterday night. I was driving from NGL to BLR and saw a total of 6 accidents - 1 near kovilpatti where a TN SETC was involved. One near salem where there was a pile up of 4 vehicles, not sure about the casualties but saw one dead, most likely a pedestrian got hit while crossing the road. Then 4 of them in the mad drive zone - Krishnagiri to Bangalore. Hope lives were not lost in those. Extremely heavy traffic + heavy rains + high speeds + ignorance of rules = disaster. One of the scariest drives in my experience so far.
Yes, Sunday night turned out really scary and nerve wrecking. I was also doing the Nagercoil to Hosur on Sunday alone after visiting my wife and son who are at her parents' place at Panagudi.
Left there around 8.30AM, and it was nice upto Madurai. Took some 4 hours off at Madurai to visit a friend and have a loong lunch. Left Madurai around 4; Around Salem it was drizzling, and traffic became really really thick.

The first close call was just before Thoppur ghat when I had to brake hard to avoid a truck that moved into my lane from a standstill on left lane. Heard a big bang behind me, and thought someone hit me though I didn't feel anything. Stopped, got down, and no damage on my car. Looked behind, and there it was - a beautiful linea smashed from behind. Not very serious damange, but the bumper area was a mess. The poor family was standing out and wondering what next that night. I left the scene.

Further ahead, several accidents, several cars being towed..a long jam near Krishnagiri where there was a 4 car pile up - heavy rains and the mad dash to get to Bangalore was taking its toll on many cars. Finally reached my home at Hosur around 11pm safe. Have travelled this route many times, but this was most risky and scary, owing to the mad post Diwali traffic. Should've given a thought and avoided that time.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:49   #7004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Watch out, our fellow drivers are not used to slowing down
He was not driving; he was boarding passengers & then he immediately shifted to right lane for driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Advice is - instead of alerting the other driver, just try to slow down.
How do I know when this moron is finished off boarding passengers & when he's about to move? And that too, when he's starting to move, how would I make out he's going to jump to right lane?

This is a clear case of negligent driving as one has to look into the mirrors before moving the vehicle, which he didn't do. Neither he listened to my twin Bosch horns nor remained watchful of my 100/130 head lights.

This is precisely how an accident happens. I did slow down, but had he been even sharp enough to take a steep right, I would've not been typing this here.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:30   #7005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Yes, Sunday night turned out really scary and nerve wrecking.

Have travelled this route many times, but this was most risky and scary, owing to the mad post Diwali traffic. Should've given a thought and avoided that time.
I agree. I started from Chennai on sunday evening to avoid being held-up by the cyclone Jal and hated the decision. The last three toll's from Chennai saw 2km queues, with the Krishnagiri toll being the worst. The queue was even diverted to the opposite lane (3 lanes), only for the ever-impatient hog the complete road and cut in-between.

I was even considering making an overnight stay at Krishnagiri, but decided against it. What surprised me was that almost 70% of the drivers were overspeeding and cutting across lanes, with no regards to themselves, others, rains and low visibility. We reached home, safely by 11PM.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 9th November 2010 at 12:31.

Most Viewed