Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:19   #7111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
Dude!! Please don't get so excited! I think the Chevy_lover is trying to say that the incident happened few months back & the photo is also probably near date to it!
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. This accident happened in May this year and we drove by the vehicle, probably a day after the accident happened.

I hope that the passengers managed to escape before the fire completely engulfed the vehicle.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:03   #7112
BHPian

I survived this!!

All thanks to the seat-belts, I didn't even get a scratch. The car probably would be scrapped as total loss. The survey would happen after the car's released from the police custody.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-221120101141.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2010, 14:28   #7113
Senior - BHPian

Good to note that you are OK.

The Type1 OHC tends to look bad after a front shunt. This however looks to be more than just a shunt what with the roof too having had an impact, would you like to tell us what transpired. The hood of this car is a major force absorbing element and usually takes the ill effects of the impact away from the chassis member. You might have noticed that it is one of the heaviest bonnets ever. I would estimate repairs to be around the 1L~1.2L mark, now the IDV of your vehicle is the key to answer whether this is a total loss or otherwise.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:38   #7114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

The Type1 OHC tends to look bad after a front shunt. This however looks to be more than just a shunt what with the roof too having had an impact, would you like to tell us what transpired.
From the looks of it the OHC has rear ended a truck or some big commercial vehicle which did not have the rear safety bar(Don't know what the rod is called) and has squeezed under it.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:48   #7115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
All thanks to the seat-belts, I didn't even get a scratch. The car probably would be scrapped as total loss. The survey would happen after the car's released from the police custody.
Glad to know that you are safe, emphasizes on the fact that seat belt is so important for safety.
I see the roof has been dented, did the car topple or did it go underneath the truck? Any updates on insurance status of the car ?

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 23rd November 2010 at 14:52.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:05   #7116
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know that you are safe.
How is the Engine bay under the bonnet? If everything is intact there, it won't be a total loss. Maybe it can be repaired for about 50-70k.
Please tell us how did this happen.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 23rd November 2010 at 15:07.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:09   #7117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

The Type1 OHC tends to look bad after a front shunt. .
It's not a Type -1 , It's a type 2 OHC. Check out the clear lens headlamps
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:35   #7118
BHPian

was on my way to work in the morning at the bypass (expressway type). out of nowhere there is a guy on a bike with his family who crossed the road without looking anywhere and at high speed (from what i remember this guy must be doing 70-80kmph).
braked hard, honked hard so that the guy would atleast notice that there is a car coming his way. just before the impact also the guy didn't turn around, with the horn blaring and the tyres screeching.

the collision was head on (perpendicular actually). because of the speed the guy and his family was purely lucky. had i been slower i would have nicked them and chances of they coming under the car were high. because of the speed and the impact of collision, the bike came over the bonnet and the guy and his family came on the windshield of the car. the windshield cushioned their fall.
the guy's bike had a flattened silencer, a broken indicator and some scratches on the handlebar (effects of the bike falling).

the guy suffers a broken leg. his family is safe and suffers minor bruises and cuts (because of the windshield glass). one of the kids had a couple of teeth broken. other than that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. just checked with them.

these guys were simply lucky.

the car's condition would be assessed after the car is released from the police custody.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 23rd November 2010 at 15:38.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:37   #7119
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know the occupants are safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
...rear safety bar(Don't know what the rod is called)...
It's called Under-run Protection. Trucks are supposed to have FUP (Front Under-run Protection) and RUP (Rear Under-run Protection) installed, according to the law. Developed countries have SUP (Side Under-run Protection) also mandatory. Check out the Volvos and MANs, you'll know better.
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:50   #7120
BHPian

Quote:
the guy suffers a broken leg. his family is safe and suffers minor bruises and cuts (because of the windshield glass). one of the kids had a couple of teeth broken. other than that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. just checked with them.

these guys were simply lucky.
Glad that it's not serious as imagined by the visuals (worse could have happened). And hope you didn't encounter the mob-justice.
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:24   #7121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Glad that it's not serious as imagined by the visuals (worse could have happened). And hope you didn't encounter the mob-justice.
was quiet lucky myself. when i was trying to help the guy, there was a mob that gathered but a cop was amongst them. he simply asked me to take out my laptop bag/briefcase from the car and go with him to the chowki. i complied, and he simply took me to the chowki (was about 200 metres away) and scolded me on the way. "are you mad!! why the hell were you standing there trying to help that guy? the public would have beaten the pulp out of you. you should have just ran off" " just go and sit inside the chowki, and if anyone comes to talk to you, DONT! act as if you got no idea what just happened on the bypass!!"

learnt another lesson. all cops are not dacoits.

the chowki incharge seeing me visibly shaken up, just told me onething "we know that the accident was not deliberate. so don't worry and pray that the guy and his family is not seriously injured"
then he just noted down my address, my phone number and explained what all formalities need to be done and how will it all go about. then just asked me to call for a vehicle from home as i was free to go.

p.s: all the conversation happened in hindi!
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:08   #7122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and scolded me on the way. "are you mad!! why the hell were you standing there trying to help that guy? the public would have beaten the pulp out of you. you should have just ran off" " just go and sit inside the chowki, and if anyone comes to talk to you, DONT! act as if you got no idea what just happened on the bypass!!"
You should thank your lucky stars!
Quote:
learnt another lesson. all cops are not dacoits.
Absolutely!! Not fair to generalise in any category. Ask me, half of my family members are with the department.

Thank God nothing happened to you and,well, the other family members.
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:44   #7123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I think it's a Tempo Traveler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Folks, here is a pic of a burnt vehicle captured in Ooty ghats, en route to Mettupalayam. This pic was captured by my wifey after a lot of acrobatics, as we were right near a hairpin curve! This incident happened some months back!

Attachment 457850

Frankly speaking, this vehicle reminded me of a bombed out vehicle we see in World War 2 movies!!!
The Tempo Traveller appears composed and is standing on its feet( read wheels/rims).Was that a case to claim insurance to enable purchase of something new?
Old 23rd November 2010, 20:54   #7124
BANNED

Over the weekend five of us decided to travel to Hornad which houses the Annapurneshwari temple. On the way somewhere near Hassan there were two KSRTC buses racing with each other covering both lanes as usual.

My friend was driving his Scorpio and since he is a new driver, he did not try to push them or overtake them. After some time one bus moved aside as if letting us go. When our vehicle inched closer to the right side of the bus to over take it, there was a divider right in front of us. The only option was to try and run over the divider since it was too late to brake or maneuver the Scorp which was at 70-80 kmph if I my memory serves me right. There was a steep ditch to our left and of course the other bus as well.

Luckily being a big vehicle, it jumped over the divider, crossed over to the other side which was empty and came to halt with absolutely no damage to anyone or itself. I could clearly feel the seatbelt locking into place and it felt so good to be buckled up.

Had it been a sedan, its low bumper would have hit the divider and we would have had at least some more damage.
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:22   #7125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Had it been a sedan, its low bumper would have hit the divider and we would have had at least some more damage.
Lucky you! You should feed the poor or something. HAd it been a sedan it would have crashed its bumper and possibly flipped over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks