Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 12:45   #7231
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
A driving instructor actually said that? I'm pleasantly surprised! Maybe our driving schools have started to improve after all!
I think he learnt driving in UK, no?
Old 31st December 2010, 12:50   #7232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I think he learnt driving in UK, no?
Oh, ok. Didn't know that. Wish I had a chance to learn from a driving instructor like that.
Old 31st December 2010, 20:05   #7233
Senior - BHPian

That whole "meat in sandwich" saying is very very British.
Yes, I think @Thad lived in UK and got his first license there ...
Old 31st December 2010, 20:34   #7234
BHPian

A picture is worth a thousand words.

The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that (Mark Foisynunberg) the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator (Mark Foisynunberg) is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-stockholm1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-stockholm2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-stockholm3.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-stockholm4.jpg
Old 31st December 2010, 20:38   #7235
BHPian

Quote:
I found this car that was sandwitched between two trucks and subsequently dragged for a kilometer by the truck ahead before coming to halt
man that swift crash looks real bad, those three guys are really lucky to be alive.
one of the worst situations to be in, i make a conscious effort to avoid being in the middle of two trucks.
Old 31st December 2010, 20:39   #7236
Senior - BHPian

It is about Accidents in India.
and i saw this ages ago.
Old 1st January 2011, 02:57   #7237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
A driving instructor actually said that? I'm pleasantly surprised! Maybe our driving schools have started to improve after all!
Yes, gentlemen, I learnt to drive in UK, and failed my first driving test there.

However, to get my Indian driving licence, I did take a course of lessons, and I can say that the Chennai instructor sincerely cared about his profession.
Quote:
Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that (Mark Foisynunberg) the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.
Keep fast motorbikes out of India. Please.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:19   #7238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Another one of those i10's badly mangled. This is the umpteenth time I seeing an i10 badly mangled up.

Safety anyone?.
Spot on.... I happened to notice on a friend's i10 the rear door is not a single piece but welded together. Safety goes for a toss!
Old 2nd January 2011, 01:09   #7239
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless you are an engineer, with specific speciality in this field, how can you make that assessment? Welded, and even glued joins can be as strong as, and even stronger, than the material either side.

Try breaking apart a well-made glued joint in wood: the wood will break before the glue does. That I can say from experience: otherwise, I admit that I'm not an engineer either!
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:49   #7240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Unless you are an engineer, with specific speciality in this field, how can you make that assessment? Welded, and even glued joins can be as strong as, and even stronger, than the material either side.

Try breaking apart a well-made glued joint in wood: the wood will break before the glue does. That I can say from experience: otherwise, I admit that I'm not an engineer either!
Thad, these are Arm chair experts! A few pages ago, there was a picture of an ANHC flattened, when a container full of automotive batteries fell on it. By the same logic, should we classify AHNC as an unsafe car? No car, I mean, no car in world is absolutely safe. It's as safe as the humans, in and around it.

Back to the topic, have been to Mysore yesterday (1st of Jan) and saw lot of accidents on the Bangalore-Mysore road. A Swift out of the road, into a ditch and a couple of other banged up cars. The best (sorry to be sarcastic) I saw was a TN registered silver Baleno. He was zooming through the road and almost managed to climb over the divider while he overtook the car in front of me. After a few KM, I saw him stalled on the road, after hitting a bullock cart and badly damaging his front end. While coming back also, I noticed lots of rash driving. Maybe new year effect.
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:25   #7241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thad, these are Arm chair experts!
Indeed. Me too, of course!

One reason I have never been comfortable on two wheels (I don't ride bikes off any sort) is the feeling of safety that I get from my four-wheeled metal box. I think we all suffer from that illusion, and this thread is here to remind us that it is an illusion!
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:30   #7242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we all suffer from that illusion, and this thread is here to remind us that it is an illusion!

Well said , but i would use delusion than illusion in your quote.

Pramod
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:35   #7243
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed. Me too, of course!

One reason I have never been comfortable on two wheels (I don't ride bikes off any sort) is the feeling of safety that I get from my four-wheeled metal box. I think we all suffer from that illusion, and this thread is here to remind us that it is an illusion!
I totally agree with this. We all have our own set of belief, which is difficult to change until we experience something different.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:35   #7244
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Pajero parked outside the Madivala Police station. Has an AP regn and also a flat rear left tire.

P.S. Taken from my phone-cam so please excuse the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-03012011043.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-03012011044.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2011, 19:16   #7245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.
As I understand, the true cause of the accident must have to be the Cell Phones.

Motorcycle Inside Volkswagen Accident Photographs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks