Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2011, 20:11   #7396
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
One of the most horrifying accidents I've seen, which occurred a couple of days before 15 Aug '10, between Bangalore and Anantapur. Why? Look closer at the interior pics and you will see blood on the newspapers, seats, ac vents, windscreen, dashboard etc. This occurred when that stretch of the Bangalore - Hyderabad 4 lane highway was opened only from one side. In the night, these speeding Swifts collided head on, as they had to share on side of the highway. The Dzire drivers was wearing his seatbelt, but not the others. One person named Madhusudhan died, but I don't know if it was someone from the swift or the Dzire's passenger. The DZire's driver side had almost no blood. As always buckling up saves lives.

I have more pics but they're too gory.
Attachment 493479

Attachment 493480

Attachment 493481

Attachment 493482

Attachment 493483

Attachment 493484

Attachment 493485
Have you noticed that someone already stole the music system, clearly shows it is done in haste as you can see the wires just pulled out. These chors are more concerened about flicking then helping the injured.
Old 5th February 2011, 20:33   #7397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
All seats, please. All seats at all speeds on all roads.

Hope you don't mind me adding stress to your post.

Anyone who thinks that city speeds don't need seat belts, by the way, is advised to walk into a wall --- and check out the bump on their head.

I have a experience of my own to narrate with respect to seat belts. I was in the passenger seat of a Honda city in Electronic city highway(NH7) towards hosur. All of a sudden the bus on the left end of the road(in a bus stop) decides to start and simply swered into the open highway without any indication. We were at about 55-60 and had to break hard to avoid. If not for the seat belts I would surely have been thrown out of the front windshield and the ANHC would have been on top of me! The only pain i had was the seat belt pre-tensioners working and pulling me back into the seat. Amazing technology.

The pretensioners works for even smallest sudden brakes!!
Old 5th February 2011, 21:00   #7398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that city speeds don't need seat belts, by the way, is advised to walk into a wall --- and check out the bump on their head.
Extremely well put

Several years back, my wife and myself, were just coming out of vatika first india place in Gurgaon and were planning to go to Panchkuian road. As soon as we turned out and were heding towards Iffco Chowk (we were in our santro at that time), a car in front suddenly stopped. Learners Car and the lady who was learning slammed the brake hard. We were probably at just 30Kms, when i slammed into the other car. We were just putting on our seatbelts. My wifes head hit the glass, and she had a sprained neck and severe pain for almost a week. Not to mention a slightly damaged car and broken headlight. Got it all fixed few days later for a small price

But, point is, it is not about speed, but we as humans, are not designed to withstand any kind of force.
Old 5th February 2011, 21:34   #7399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Better brakes and ABS (assuming Dzire did not have it) could have reduced the impact
That is a Dzire LXi and that doesnt come with ABS.

Last edited by f1fan : 5th February 2011 at 21:37.
Old 5th February 2011, 22:25   #7400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Amen to that! i get a earful when i tell people to buckle up. if people are very adamant (only in city driving - highway driving, i enforce it) i usually don't pursue further; its their funeral; but then in that case i drive extra careful. after all, they're my responsibility
true, the thing is, even at city speeds if the people at the back dont wear seatbelts, in case of sudden braking, hey are liable to slam into the front seats. 50-60 odd kilo's of human slamming into the back of the front seats will obviously affect the people sitting in the front, seatbelts or not.

So, best to buckle up. I usually insist that the car wont move until everyone has buckled up. Now, my friends are all well trained, and do so automatically
Old 5th February 2011, 23:42   #7401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amen to that! i get a earful when i tell people to buckle up. if people are very adamant (only in city driving - highway driving, i enforce it) i usually don't pursue further; its their funeral; but then in that case i drive extra careful. after all, they're my responsibility
It's your funeral when the passenger sitting behind you clobbers you on the head.

There is a very effective British Public Information film on this, which I've posted before. Sends shivers up my spine just thinking about it. Don't have time to look it up now...

(Google Julie knew her killer)
Old 5th February 2011, 23:54   #7402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(Google Julie knew her killer)
Found here:

Very effective.
Old 6th February 2011, 08:57   #7403
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
It's your funeral when the passenger sitting behind you clobbers you on the head.
IronH4WK, as Gomzi said, refuse to drive in case anyone doesn't agree to wear their seatbelts. At least your life is more important than the lives of those who don't value them. Just look at the front seats of the Green Dzire, and imagine, can seatbelts save you in such situations? "Julie knew her killer" which Thad posted about will give you a better idea.

@Iqbal: The stereo systems were not stolen; they were thrown out of their slots due to the collision, I believe.
Old 6th February 2011, 14:21   #7404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Now, my friends are all well trained, and do so automatically
now my friends avoid getting into my car coz i insist on safety first

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
IronH4WK, as Gomzi said, refuse to drive in case anyone doesn't agree to wear their seatbelts. At least your life is more important than the lives of those who don't value them.
yeah, i guess you're right. well, seat belts for all it is!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 6th February 2011 at 14:22.
Old 6th February 2011, 14:40   #7405
BHPian

From my Archives:
The civic was speeding on its way to the Airport, and at golf links, he lost control over a bend and went straight over the footpath crashing into a tree, and then doing a 200 odd degree spin, totalling the car. I've no idea about what happened to the occupants, but I'm sure they were critically injured. I have no clue as to how the roof caved in either. I'm not sure if it could have rear ended a truck or something, as there was no such vehicle at the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-131020102038.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-131020102037.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-131020102043.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-131020102044.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-131020102046.jpg  

Old 6th February 2011, 20:18   #7406
Senior - BHPian

Had a scary experience today. I was on one of the city roads (4-lane, but not the widest). It wasn't crowded at all. I was doing about 50kmph. There were two bikes in front of me - one bang in the middle of the right lane. I got the feeling that he wanted to turn right. The 2nd biker was about two bike-lengths behind the first, and just beside the white line separating the two lanes (on the right lane). Both were slower than me and there was no way I could squeeze past them on the right lane. So I moved left (probably mistake-1). I honked once to let the 2nd biker know I was there (probably mistake-2) and proceeded to go past him on the left lane. I guess he decided (maybe due to my honking) rather late to give me way on the right lane and moved left. But by then I was already past him (from my driver's seat perspective - also the rear seat passengers told me that even the rear door was past him) when I heard a slight thud. My heart was in my mouth as I checked my RVMs. Luckily for him - and me, I could see that he hadn't lost his balace or fallen or stopped. So I continued and closely checked the car when I reached home - no scratches or dents anywhere on the right side.

I'm now wondering if there was any contact with the biker or the noise was something else because I had two wheels on the unpaved part of the road beside the left lane. But then, I'm 99% sure that the noise came from my right and not the left - so probably there was slight contact with the biker.
Old 6th February 2011, 21:17   #7407
Senior - BHPian

A few images.
About the truck, that truck had to drop its wheels but the soil was too soft so the state.
Alto went behind some bus/truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0084.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0091.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0092.jpg  

Old 7th February 2011, 04:33   #7408
Senior - BHPian

Earlier this January while driving from DEL to BOM saw my first Jack knife 50 kms short of the RJ GJ border. Had forgotten all about it and the rediscovered the snaps so sharing them with you guys. No idea how it happened, thankfully there were no human casualties just the beast standing there with a broken neck so to speak.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02223.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02224.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02226.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02227.jpg  

Old 7th February 2011, 05:11   #7409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
....when I heard a slight thud. My heart was in my mouth as I checked my RVMs. Luckily for him - and me, I could see that he hadn't lost his balace or fallen or stopped. So I continued and closely checked the car when I reached home - no scratches or dents anywhere on the right side.
Or just to scare you he thumped the car body at rear right!!
Old 7th February 2011, 10:29   #7410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Or just to scare you he thumped the car body at rear right!!
Ah..I hadn't thought of that possibility. If that was his endeavour, then I'd say he was mighty successful!

Most Viewed