Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:01   #7561
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
This thread is a must see for me before I embark on any highway journey.
No use turning our heads away from what is happening out there in real world.

The pics here might be disturbing but its better to know that the line between life and death is indeed very thin.

Lets drive safe.
Well said mate. Once when I was viewing this thread, a friend asked me if I was a saddist . But the fact is that it reminds as all of what you have just said.

Drive Safely!
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:03   #7562
BHPian

@NetfreakBombay: You're right about the wording in the policy. But it means "professional racing" in a modiffied car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
negligent driving is not a "mistake"
Well I don't think I was into semantics. What I meant was that I would have called it a mistake because the insurance company is going to pay only 10 L or less instead of 13 L or more it should have paid for that car. Being an economist/insurance chap, I would gladly term this as "the cost of negligent driving". Make no mistake.

BH.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:23   #7563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
@NetfreakBombay: You're right about the wording in the policy. But it means "professional racing" in a modiffied car.
It also covers street racing in stock cars (I.e. such damages are excluded from cover).

Quote:
You will not be covered by your Insurance policy if the car is used in speed trials, racing, pace - making or rallies. You will need to arrange alternative insurance cover for these types of events. Your car is also not covered for use in connection with the motor trade or for hire or reward.
You can search this forum for Rtech's experience with ICICI where they tried to use it to deny claim.

If they can prove that car was driven over 40 kmph within city limits (based on analysis of impact to car and stationary property), claim can be denied. Only exception would be some highways inside city.
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:26   #7564
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, BurningHeart: there are mistakes and there are mistakes.

Reminds me of an interview, I heard decades ago, with a jazz musician. When asked about making mistakes on stage, he said that, of course, they happened all the time, but there were two kinds: "the ordinary kind, and the kind that don't sound so good."

When driving, I guess we make the first kind regularly, but the equivalent of the second kind costs us body parts: both car and human!
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:34   #7565
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it is a good idea to share this thread with little kids. They are not going to drive cars now and I dont want to expose them to the gore of this. Thats my school of thought atleast. I aim to be cautious at all times, from my driving perspective.

Many people dont want to see this thread, as someone said, se it before going on a highway drive. Why should someone start a pleasant drive by looking at something so negative. Just be cautious, stay under control and dont try to drive like a maniac on the road.

I would request not to show this thread to kids, people who are sensitive or so on, as it can play in their head and kids can have disturbing thoughts.

On example. My father lost his brother at a very young age. When his brother was in his teens, he used to collect pics of accidents when he was a kid and had books filled with pics of accidents. He himself died in an accident one day and his photo was in the paper. Several people attributed his strange hobby to his ultimate death. This is OT, but I feel we should not make people see it so they may learn something out of it

I alteast see this thread ( though i try to avoid it), but to assess, what each car is capable of taking in terms of damage at various speeds
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:24   #7566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Saw this on the Nashik - Pune highway today. Not sure what happened to the occupants.
The A pillar looks to be intact and so is the front windshield which means that the folks inside were wearing seat belts and the passenger cabin also looks intact. Hence dont foresee any major injuries.
Old 23rd February 2011, 19:47   #7567
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If they can prove that car was driven over 40 kmph within city limits (based on analysis of impact to car and stationary property), claim can be denied. Only exception would be some highways inside city.

Surely this is mistaken. The speed limit in the city is 80 on some roads.
Driving @60 or 80 does not constitute racing. This can be challenged.

--Rahul
Old 24th February 2011, 23:08   #7568
BHPian

This kind of Accidents have become a daily routine due to the drainage between the main lane and the service lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0352.jpg  

Old 25th February 2011, 02:48   #7569
Senior - BHPian

These drains between the main and service roads are a national phenomenon. It seems the Scorpio driver was simply not paying attention to where he was going or went in while trying to avoid someone\something.
Old 26th February 2011, 01:03   #7570
BHPian

A Corolla altis diesel was racing a swift when suddenly the colrolla lost control at the speed of 120 km/h and hit the swift . Both the cars lost control and hit the side of the flyover. This took place on the Lajpat nagar flyover.
This is the same flyover where the BMW accident happened when a 5 series hit a biker from behind..
Sorry for the poor quality pics, Blackberry camera sucks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00048201102252312.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00049201102252313.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00052201102252316.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00055201102252319.jpg  

Last edited by aditya_911 : 26th February 2011 at 01:12.
Old 28th February 2011, 11:51   #7571
Senior - BHPian

there was an accident on the Hosur road, 100mts from the Silk Board flyover (towards Hosur). a TT had rear-ended a Indicab and there was glass all over the road. the funny thing is that the damage on the TT looked more severe than the Indicab! this caused quite a traffic jam on the Hosur road.

couldn't take a picture as i was on my bike and couldn't stop.
Old 28th February 2011, 11:56   #7572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Why are the wipers midway in most of the accident cars that have frontal impact?

Do the drivers switch them on frantically or is it something that is automatic? (Like the hazard lights that come on in few cars)

Exactly my question too! Most of the pics here of cars with frontal impact have dislodged wipers! I think the force of impact pushes them up.Maybe others can throw some light on this issue!
Old 28th February 2011, 12:28   #7573
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I think the force of impact pushes them up.
If it can break skulls of unbelted folks in the car. Wipers arent a big deal for forces acting on cars having a frontal impact.
Old 28th February 2011, 19:02   #7574
Senior - BHPian

here is what i spotted today.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc03491.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc03492.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc03493.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc03494.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc03495.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc03496.jpg
Old 28th February 2011, 19:23   #7575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
there was an accident on the Hosur road, 100mts from the Silk Board flyover (towards Hosur). a TT had rear-ended a Indicab and there was glass all over the road. the funny thing is that the damage on the TT looked more severe than the Indicab! this caused quite a traffic jam on the Hosur road.

couldn't take a picture as i was on my bike and couldn't stop.
got the pictures on the way back home. both vehicles had been towed and parked in front of Total mall.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01231.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc01232.jpg

on closer inspection, looks like the IndiCab got the raw end of the deal

Most Viewed