Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 09:38   #7741
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw an accident very near my home. A Ritz and a bus were involved in the accident. I was told that one of the rear seat passengers in the car was slightly injured. I guess the driver of the car was wearing a seatbelt. No other injuries as far as I know. There was very little damage to the bus. Ritz was not so lucky.

Here's a not-so-good graphic of the scene of the accident. As you can see it can be a confusing place for first-timers. The black lines represent the edge of the road. The brown rectangles are the dividers. The pink lines show how the traffic should flow. The blue line is the bus and the red line is the Ritz (the arrowheads show in which direction they were moving).

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 4890
Size:  643.9 KB

My guess is that the Ritz guy wanted to turn right and the bus wanted to go straight. Both refused to stop (there is no signal at this junction). They ended up in this position while trying to avoid the collission at the last minute.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:32   #7742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Here's a not-so-good graphic of the scene of the accident. As you can see it can be a confusing place for first-timers.
This road is surely confusing. Why three dividers on the road going straight This is like going overboard with controlling traffic
Old 24th March 2011, 13:08   #7743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Saw an accident very near my home. A Ritz and a bus were involved in the accident. I was told that one of the rear seat passengers in the car was slightly injured. I guess the driver of the car was wearing a seatbelt. No other injuries as far as I know. There was very little damage to the bus. Ritz was not so lucky.
StarrySky, where is this place? Can I expect in tomorrow's news paper that "Red killer strikes again"?

As usual, today's new paper also has news about a bus driver booked for rash driving.

- Jose.
Old 24th March 2011, 16:23   #7744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
StarrySky, where is this place? Can I expect in tomorrow's news paper that "Red killer strikes again"?
This place is Kunnumpuram Jn near Padamugal (close to Paramount/Hill View hotels). The bus was going from NPOL side to Vazhakkala side. The Ritz appeared to be coming from Collectorate Jn.

I'm not sure if anyone was seriously hurt in the accident - so the papers might skip this one.
Old 24th March 2011, 20:38   #7745
BHPian

Accidents are almost always 99% carelessness + rash driving and 1% sheer bad luck..
Old 25th March 2011, 03:13   #7746
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Crashed esteem a few days back. Sorry for the bad quality pic , took it from my BB.

It looked immaculately maintained for its age but for this crash to spoil it all.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg  

Old 25th March 2011, 09:45   #7747
BHPian

The BMTC Vajra bus I was travelling by, got tail-ended by another Vajra bus, an airport shuttle, this morning, below the Agara flyover.
Thankfully, no one got hurt, but sadly, someone ended up paying the price for someone's stupidity. It goes like this: A Co. shuttle bus that was leading our bus got into an argument with a two wheeler rider, braking/stopping his bus without any indicaton. Our bus driver was quick to react, but the bus trailing us couldn't, leading to this incident :( . These 2 motorists were still arguing, without realizing the commotion happening behind them. They left shortly, leaving the traffic behind, in a mess.
In one of the pics. you'll see people looking towards the right. That's because another Co. shuttle bus tried taking the service road which has a barrier preventing heavy vehicle movement on it, ending up sticking to the pole above.

What a mess!
Hopefully, we get to learn from this episode not to act smart on the road by pulling over our vehicles on the middle in case of any unnecessary arguments on the road, which can cause untold harm to traffic that follows :(.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25032011570.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25032011571.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25032011572.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-25032011573.jpg  

Last edited by dkamath : 25th March 2011 at 09:47.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:57   #7748
Team-BHP Support

@Dkamath, why did you mask the number of the bus? Why not have it for public view? Irresponsible driving need not be protected.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:20   #7749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@Dkamath, why did you mask the number of the bus? Why not have it for public view? Irresponsible driving need not be protected.
I guess irresponsible driving was on the part of the company shuttle, if I understood the scenario correctly...

I feel bad for the Volvo Driver, now he needs to shell out money from his salary to bear a part of the repairs....
Old 25th March 2011, 10:45   #7750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I guess irresponsible driving was on the part of the company shuttle, if I understood the scenario correctly...

I feel bad for the Volvo Driver, now he needs to shell out money from his salary to bear a part of the repairs....
In case of a rear ending, it's always said to be the mistake of the trailing vehicle, because a safe distance was not maintained apparently.

Also, I guess you know how good the Volvo's brakes are. He should have had the reflex to brake in time, provided all his attention was on the road.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:50   #7751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
In case of a rear ending, it's always said to be the mistake of the trailing vehicle, because a safe distance was not maintained apparently.

Also, I guess you know how good the Volvo's brakes are. He should have had the reflex to brake in time, provided all his attention was on the road.
+1 . Having good number of passengers, this public servant should have been more careful and have full attention on the road.

If he rearends, it's always his fault for not maintaining safe distance. These bus wallaha's always tailgate and bully around.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:00   #7752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Also, I guess you know how good the Volvo's brakes are.
If the brakes are pressed suddenly, wouldn't it break teeth of a few passengers (those who hit their faces on the seats in front of them)? Can ABS help in avoiding this?
Old 25th March 2011, 11:12   #7753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
If the brakes are pressed suddenly, wouldn't it break teeth of a few passengers (those who hit their faces on the seats in front of them)? Can ABS help in avoiding this?
The volvos do make use of the awesome brakes very often, and passengers do get the jerks very often
they move through the traffic like a two wheeler, making full use of the automatic transmission and awesome brakes!
Old 25th March 2011, 11:34   #7754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
While they are making use of those in unwanted situations like inching through gaps when the signal is still red, why not in an emergency situation?

And NO, ABS will not help as there is no wheel locking involved. And i presume that these Volvo LE's come with ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
The volvos do make use of the awesome brakes very often, and passengers do get the jerks very often
they move through the traffic like a two wheeler, making full use of the automatic transmission and awesome brakes!
Exactly, my friend!
Old 25th March 2011, 11:42   #7755

Hey,
Came across a funny accident in my colony just few days back.
super poor quality of image is regretted. The commercial auto (red coloured) stood up on its rear two wheels.

Most Viewed