Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 12:57   #8161
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

looks more like it went under a truck.
look at the compression creases on the bonnet near the windscreen.
by the by, like what you did with registration plate..
translated from punjabi it sounds like "the dada of AP28"
Old 18th May 2011, 13:03   #8162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Mayankk, you've got an eye for detail. I never realized it till the time I read your post about it. Yeah, it does read "AP28 Da Dada" in true punjabi style. Oye, main yeh sabb kaam karta nahi, khudh hi ho jaate hain (I don't do these things deliberately, these happen by themselves )
Old 18th May 2011, 13:03   #8163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
This is my theory of how it could have happened. Would love to hear your thoughts about the same.
I think you have explained it pretty well.
It might be a case of rear ending.
As Mayankk mentioned it could have rear ended a truck, by looking at the damage, even the roof is damaged and tilted towards left. Infact, the whole body sheel is damaged. And it it's not a truck it rear ended, then the other vehicle also must have got some serious damage.

Just one question though, was there any gap in the side rails before the spot where the parts have fallen?
Old 18th May 2011, 13:29   #8164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Just one question though, was there any gap in the side rails before the spot where the parts have fallen?
As I daily take the ORR to reach Office, shall check the accident spot tomorrow morning and update you about the same.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:54   #8165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I daily take the ORR to reach Office, shall check the accident spot tomorrow morning and update you about the same.
hehe!! No , don't take so much of trouble,that's ok.
I was just curious because it looked like there is a gap, not clearly visible in the photo.
I have tried zooming into your photo. Look at point 1, the gap might be there but I am not at all sure about it.
Also what's those vehicle marked at 2 & 3, looks a little unfamiliar.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-crash-orr-01.jpg
Old 18th May 2011, 14:10   #8166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
How did it happen? The pictures in the link you sent show the whole dashboard crushed into front seats.
I'm not aware but we have received sudden rains since last night and the accident happened early morning. The roads on that highway have just been laid with a fresh coat of tar few weeks back. Smooth roads always encourages people to drive fast and considering it was early morning and traffic would be less, adds to the possibility of over speeding. And you would obviously know how risky driving on wet roads on such speeds would be. This is purely a high speed head on collision IMO.
Old 18th May 2011, 14:12   #8167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
I'm not aware but we have received sudden rains since last night and the accident happened early morning. The roads on that highway have just been laid with a fresh coat of tar few weeks back. Smooth roads always encourages people to drive fast and considering it was early morning and traffic would be less, adds to the possibility of over speeding. And you would obviously know how risky driving on wet roads on such speeds would be. This is purely a high speed head on collision IMO.
tragic nevertheless.

I'm thinking don't want to get into this sort of stuff because somebody else on the road decides to have some fun.

Does anybody know of any good links/videos on defensive driving (especially in the Indian context)?
Old 18th May 2011, 14:16   #8168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
tragic nevertheless.

I'm thinking don't want to get into this sort of stuff because somebody else on the road decides to have some fun.

Does anybody know of any good links/videos on defensive driving (especially in the Indian context)?
I am not too sure about the videos, but one trick for defensive driving is always think that the other person is going to do a mistake.

I slow down at junctions, never tail gate and always get rid of tail if it is too close. I am still at risk coz I do rip the car in spite of all this, but I can't completely take the fun out of driving :P.

There are incidents on this thread where a speeding car loses control and goes on to the opposite side and bangs up. If one is such a situation nothing can help!

Last edited by anilisanil : 18th May 2011 at 14:17.
Old 18th May 2011, 14:29   #8169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
The NH17 between Udipi-Mangalore-Kasagod has always been a very dangerous and accident prone stretch.Bus drivers and reckless bikers are the usual culprits.This clearly looks like an overtaking gone wrong .The car seems to have hit the bus head on as even the LHS of the car is damaged.Usually its the RHS of both vehicles that would be hit .

The Swift's OE skinny tires in wet conditions is always a recipe for disaster
Old 18th May 2011, 14:42   #8170
BHPian

Quote:
hehe!! No , don't take so much of trouble,that's ok.
No issues at all Manish, I travel by the same route everyday, so its not much of an issue for me to check the location.
Quote:
I was just curious because it looked like there is a gap, not clearly visible in the photo. I have tried zooming into your photo. Look at point 1, the gap might be there but I am not at all sure about it.
Looks like there's a gap there, so could be probable that the vehicle hit there too.
Quote:
Also what's those vehicle marked at 2 & 3, looks a little unfamiliar.
Run, Run. The Aliens are here. Looks like the Aliens have landed in their UFV's. Jokes apart, those are huge bundles of cables, which are being laid along the ORR & its Service Roads.
Old 18th May 2011, 15:04   #8171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
OT:

that's AP 28 Yes Yes Yes in Russian
Old 18th May 2011, 18:11   #8172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have tried zooming into your photo. Look at point 1, the gap might be there but I am not at all sure about it.
Attachment 547058
Quote:
Looks like there's a gap there, so could be probable that the vehicle hit there too.
I think its just the concrete sidewall for a section of the road. This appears to have a very short metal railing, which ends... after which the regular metal railing continues. See the opposite side of the road for the concrete sidewall on that side.
Old 18th May 2011, 23:22   #8173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
The NH17 between Udipi-Mangalore-Kasagod has always been a very dangerous and accident prone stretch.Bus drivers and reckless bikers are the usual culprits.

This stretch,especially between Udipi and Mangalore is horrible because of the local buses competing with each others for time and passengers.With the advent of Volvos on this route(Manipal-Mangalore),the races are one sided affair now with the Volvos winning hands down.
These snaps are of a Tavera and a Safari involved in a side swipe accident(Sept 2010 when i went to Mangalore for a conference).The Tavera while overtaking had hit the Safari on RHS and even managed to break the rear wheel.Accident had happened sometime back as the Tavera driver was checking for damages.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-19092010262.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-19092010263.jpg  

Old 19th May 2011, 08:36   #8174
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened this yesterday morning. Classic example of reckless bus drivers of Cochin. Sadly the pedestrian lost his life.

Video is a bit terrifying.

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 08:37   #8175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
That would have been scary

From the pic it looks like damage shouldn't run into 5 figures though you might want to get the front suspension assembly also checked as a precaution.

Hopefully the other guy learnt a lesson.

PS: On closer inspection, alloy looks bent. Did he by any chance pay for any part of the damage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Sorry to know @ that iWonder. Front right side of your car seems to have taken the brunt for no fault of yours. I hope there is no damage to the tyre. Have you got the damage fixed? Please let us know the details
The cost for fixing the car except alloy and tyre after insurance is 7.5k, the windshield was also replaced.

Considering the cost of tyre (2.7k) and Alloy (3.3k) it should be 13.5k in all.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th May 2011 at 09:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks