Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2011, 07:27   #8236
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The NH45 (Chennai-Trichy Highway) is a pure motoring bliss if you drive carefully and responsibly. But the road can turn out to be a big mess if you are careless. Last weekend, when I drove to Trichy and back, I saw atleast a dozen vehicles (a Santro, two Ikons, an Innova, an Indigo and almost 4 trucks) in the stretch damaged and abandoned in the road sides.

On another note, I saw this nasty incident caused by the big Tata truck in Pune when I was there 15 days back. This was in Pune-Bombay Highway near Akurdi IIRC.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_0451.jpg  

Old 25th May 2011, 07:40   #8237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Didnt we have helicopter accidents recently when it was exposed that politicians frequently pressurize pilots to fly in bad weather to reach their vote bank?

Looks like a similar case here - a Lawmaker using his power and authority to overwhelm a poor employee/driver and induce him to over-speed and break the law, in the process endangering other innocent road users as well.

--Ragul
I'm glad that chaps like this keep nominating themselves for the Darwin awards... the only shame is the collateral damage involving drivers/pilots/bystanders.
Old 25th May 2011, 09:33   #8238
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw an accident near the Benagenahalli Flyover. A cab hit a pedestrian and the pedestrian was thrown off for about 10 feet. The person was motionless after the hit. I immediately called the 108 who responded quick.

However I was travelling in the cab, the cab members were so unwilling to stop and help, citing the reason that they will late to office. Disgusting attitude is all I can say.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 25th May 2011 at 09:36.
Old 25th May 2011, 09:58   #8239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Saw an accident near the Benagenahalli Flyover. A cab hit a pedestrian and the pedestrian was thrown off for about 10 feet. The person was motionless after the hit. I immediately called the 108 who responded quick.

However I was travelling in the cab, the cab members were so unwilling to stop and help, citing the reason that they will late to office. Disgusting attitude is all I can say.

Well, if there were other witnesses too, you can ring up the plice and let them know.

I'm not a lawyer (other BHPians who are - please comment) if they were asked to help and deliberately didn't then I guess this becomes much more than a traffic accident.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:13   #8240
Senior - BHPian

don't know if you can call this an accident. saw this on the Vidyaranyapura main road. there is a lot of digging and stuff going on there and due to the rains that particular area was slushy. on my way back from my aunt's house i saw these two - the truck and the BMTC bus - stuck in the ditch which had been covered up with mud. the rear wheel of the truck and the front wheels of the bus were stuck. the front bumper of the bus was touching the ground!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_9052.jpg

since the bus was trying to overtake the already stuck truck, the whole road got blocked when it got stuck in the ditch too!!
Old 25th May 2011, 10:13   #8241
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
That is a covert clue that the India BPO/KPO/Services industry actually runs a sweatshop culture. No matter how much the Honchos like CEOs and industry commentators deny it. These workers are rounded up in cabs at the start of the shift and return in the same cab like corpses dumped in the seats, after a grueling night shift - a lifestyle that results in stroke, diabetes, heart problems and what not around the age of 30. It was job pressure and a totalitarian work culture that made them behave that way.

Sorry about going OT, couldn't help it.

Last edited by Ragul : 25th May 2011 at 10:16.
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 10:15   #8242
Senior - BHPian

Helping others in distress is not a law. It is humanity, but not compulsory as paying taxes.

Today's Maharashtra times Pune edition has a head line news, that 7 people died in an alto while returning from Pandharpur. The car seems all crushed from the photo. It is really sad to see that 7 members, most of them from one family, died on the spot, and no survivors. The questions remain, such as why there were 7 persons in a 5 seater alto, and others, but facts remain the same. A family is lost today :( This really makes me think that maybe getting higher end versions of cars with ABS and airbags may be the best 1-2 Lakhs you can spend.

Last edited by ani_meher : 25th May 2011 at 10:20.
Old 25th May 2011, 10:24   #8243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
That is a covert clue that the India BPO/KPO/Services industry actually runs a sweatshop culture. No matter how much the Honchos like CEOs and industry commentators deny it. These workers are rounded up in cabs at the start of the shift and return in the same cab like corpses dumped in the seats, after a grueling night shift - a lifestyle that results in stroke, diabetes, heart problems and what not around the age of 30. It was job pressure and a totalitarian work culture that made them behave that way.

Sorry about going OT, couldn't help it.

Well what you described is an "accident in India" too.

Think about what these guys do when they themselves hit the road (mostly on their motorbikes) and you get the complete picture of a malaise we have
Old 25th May 2011, 20:17   #8244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
The guy was doing 100+ kmph, his phone rang which was under the handbrake, while collecting his phone, he accidentally pulled the hand brake lever.
The car almost overturned before hitting the divider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
So, incoming calls are not free, yet?
pgsagar - that's the most humorous comment i've read in recent times

Yes, incoming calls are not free when you are 'ROAMING' at 100kmph.
ch.nathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 11:55   #8245
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this astounding sight on the Pune bypass just before the Baner exit (Hotel VITS) today.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg

The truck's trailer is sitting neatly on the divider within the concrete sidings. Strangest of all, there is no sign of the truck's cabin
Old 26th May 2011, 12:03   #8246
Distinguished - BHPian

Presenting one more Scorpio on a roll!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0121k100.jpg
Old 26th May 2011, 12:39   #8247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Spotted this astounding sight on the Pune bypass just before the Baner exit (Hotel VITS) today.

Attachment 550804

The truck's trailer is sitting neatly on the divider within the concrete sidings. Strangest of all, there is no sign of the truck's cabin
is it me or is that picture a little bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

wow! looks like Hancock rolled it into a cigar!!
Old 26th May 2011, 13:21   #8248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
is it me or is that picture a little bent?
. It does look warped doesn't it? Shot from my Samsung Wave mobile phone camera, handheld and in a hurry. Thought it was a bit blurry but now that you mention it, everything looks bent to the right!

Last edited by noopster : 26th May 2011 at 13:24.
Old 26th May 2011, 14:52   #8249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Attachment 550804

From what i have heard, the tractor of this trailer fell from the bridge. There is actually a solid concrete barrier at the starting of the bridge , but it seems the tractor overshot that. Maybe a case of fishtailing after panic braking.
I hope the cars inside are undamaged! :(
Old 26th May 2011, 20:46   #8250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Looks like a case of Tyre burst IMO. See the front left tyre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks