Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:59   #8311
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Read this unfortunate and sad news in the TOI paper today.

3-yr-old boy left inside car for three hours in city, dies - The Times of India
Very saddening indeed . May his soul rest in peace.

There is a double irony in this :
  • the parents had come to attend a funeral
  • the funeral was that of a cousin's child (maybe this explains how they ended up forgetting to notice that neither had taken their own son out of the car)
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:35   #8312
BHPian

This accident happened on Monday (May 30) night around 60 kilometers away from Guwahati. A very tragic one. The driver was apparently rash, and the bus lost control over a wooden bridge and fell into a pond covered with hyacinths. The groom died, along with the 26 other people on the way for the marriage. May their souls rest in peace.

Old 2nd June 2011, 22:09   #8313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
btw, I'm wondering, how sand got to the top of the Sumo?
There was sand inside the Sumo too! Loads of it! The trolley was piled at least 10 feet with sand. No wonder it toppled.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:11   #8314
Senior - BHPian

A few images of the accident that I had in front of the place where I am currently working.
The accident mostly happened on 8th may. For more than 10 days the truck along with trailer was there.
The trailer had heavy cargo, may be some industrial part ( mostly chemical factory part as it was sort of specially fabricated ).

Two persons were reported to have died. The entire cabin of the tractor went back and it was trailer which stopped the cabin from further coming back. Mostly the tractor-trailer rammed into another tractor-trailer. The entire cabin was actually crushed. Such was the impact that even the engine was shredded.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0258.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0259.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0260.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0261.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0262.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2011, 22:55   #8315
BHPian

The truck seems to have gone under the trailer in front and cabin broke from it's hinges. It was crushed between the trailer in front and it's own trailer. More serious due to cabin giving away and also major part of impact absorbing chasis going below trailer in front
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:58   #8316
BHPian

The sumo & tractor trolley accident pic in post #8309..It looks like the sumo driver tried to squeeze in between the tractor trolley and the truck and got stuck in between..

Last edited by s@tan2s@int : 2nd June 2011 at 23:01. Reason: correction
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:51   #8317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Today I attended the seventh death anniversary prayers of my close friend Dr Shrikant Ramchandra Jichkar, India's most qualified person (Limca Book of Records), who was killed in a tragic mishap this day seven years ago. For a change I would like to take the scenario back to 02/06/2004- a seven year old incident. The incident makes me very sad, as it is one of the saddest day's in my life.
Thanks for sharing this. Yes I was well aware of the Late Dr Shrikant Ramchandra Jichkar as India's most qualified person, but I had the least hint that his life came to such a tragic end.

Quote:
the speedo had touched about 110-120kmph. A slow moving, truck was ahead and so the driver overtook it rashly (there was an uphill section where the visibility on the other side was nearly zero). To their horror, the Nagpur-Pune ST bus was speeding from the other direction. To duck the bus the driver tried to move his car to the extreme right (off the road), but there was hardly any time. The bus came and hit the Mitsubishi Lancer on its left side. Dr Jichkar, seated on the left side at the rear seat and his close friend Prof Shriram Dhawad seated on the right were killed.
No one can change destiny. I was almost in a similar situation couple of years back when I was driving from Nasik to Pune with my family. The NH50 is dotted with several ghats & winding roads. On the exit of the Chandanapuri ghat a truck was moving very slowly on a left winding uphill. Thoughtlessly I overtook the truck, when it was an absolutely blind spot & I had no idea if there was any oncoming vehicle. Fortunately there was none, but had there been one, my fate would have been no different than that of your deceased friend. I thank my stars. From that day onwards I have made it a point that whenever I come across a blind spot, I assume that a vehicle will come from nowhere, that way I am more cautious. Always keep a margin for other's errors. One might not be twice lucky.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:44   #8318
Senior - BHPian

Day 3 of monsoons in Kerala and today I saw the third accident in as many days in my regular office route.

Day before yesterday, two trucks were involved in an accident. Thankfully, I didn't see any casualties mentioned. A lady was not so lucky in the accident yesterday involving a truck and a bike - she lost her life and her husband is still in hospital. Today an Indica rear-ended a Spark, but it looked like a low-speed accident and I guess there was no damage except a few dents on either car.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:42   #8319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shrikant had gone to attend an associate's marriage near Katol, about 80 kms from Nagpur. While returning at noon he halted at his Gurukulam (managed under the aegis of Swami Dayanand Saraswati) near Bazargaon. He was very god-fearing and observed many rituals.The very day he observed fast and feeling hungry, Shrikant asked the driver to revv-up the car to reach home faster.On NH 6 (Mumbai-Kolkata highway via Nagpur) the car was about 40kms away (west) from Nagpur when the speedo had touched about 110-120kmph. A slow moving, truck was ahead and so the driver overtook it rashly (there was an uphill section where the visibility on the other side was nearly zero). To their horror, the Nagpur-Pune ST bus was speeding from the other direction. To duck the bus the driver tried to move his car to the extreme right (off the road), but there was hardly any time. The bus came and hit the Mitsubishi Lancer on its left side. Dr Jichkar, seated on the left side at the rear seat and his close friend Prof Shriram Dhawad seated on the right were killed.
Sorry for the loss of your close friend.

From the description in the pic, they make it look as if the accident was bus driver's fault. Bigger vehicle at fault bias quite evident here.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:40   #8320
BHPian

This happened last night on NH 17

Udupi: Ghastly Accident Claims Two Lives
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:18   #8321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
This happened last night on NH 17

Udupi: Ghastly Accident Claims Two Lives
That's terrible. I cannot identify what car it is! Is it M 800? I heard it has been raining heavily since 2 days in and around Mangalore. Looks like the car skidded. I don't think seatbelts or any number of airbags could have saved the victims.

OT: I have to be extra careful when I drive to Mangalore tomorrow. And, see you there!

BTW, it is NH 66 now, isn' it?
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:12   #8322
Senior - BHPian

spotted these today in my city.

the bus got on the divider-wall of underground way.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-03062011046.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-03062011047.jpg
this force taxi applied too much force here.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-03062011048.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-03062011049.jpg
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:24   #8323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
spotted these today in my city.

the bus got on the divider-wall of underground way.
Attachment 554690

Attachment 554691
this force taxi applied too much force here.
Attachment 554692

Attachment 554693

That bus holds a nice message: "In god we trust and bump into dividers" If he keeps driving like that all he can do is trusting God!

That force taxi driver must be an off roading enthusiast. Hope no injury to life and limb!
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:54   #8324
Distinguished - BHPian

Just goes to show that even the combined deities of four religions do not relieve the responsibility of steering properly! Offtopic: what is symbol number 3?

Next time, the Force driver might try it with a bit more force.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:57   #8325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Offtopic: what is symbol number 3?
That is the symbol of OM. A hindu religious symbol.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed