Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 07:45   #8506
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Volvo vs Toyota.

Saw this accident yesterday around noon near Brookefield.

Not sure how it happened. It looked like fortuner tried to take a U turn and hit the volvo [or volvo hit fort] at back. The rear quarter glass is completely gone.

But I see scratches on fortuner from the front bumper.

Stopped a while, and heard that the volvo was coming in high speed. Ha, need no guesses here.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img00574201106191209.jpg
Old 20th June 2011, 09:29   #8507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
The bike was a Yamaha R15, KL registration bike. It seems they were not wearing helmets. May his soul rest in peace.
Guys, if anyone driving or riding on this section, please be careful. Even though the road is wide it's not a very good surface and can unsettle a bike very easily. Please be careful and drive safe.
Kaushik, what you told is absolutely correct. Even though the road is wide and has median, the surface is very tricky, especially from Bilekahalli till G.D Mara cross. And people on a two-wheeler, please wear a helmet and make sure to use the chin strap. It's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
This accident is reported in today's Malayalam daily. The deceased guy is from Tripunithura, Kochi. He and his friend were returning home after dinner when the accident occurred.
Read in the newspaper that he had come to BLR before three months in search of a job and held a degree from University of Leeds.

May his soul RIP.

Last edited by A350XWB : 20th June 2011 at 09:30.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:41   #8508
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jose, A350XWB - I know this guy. He is my friend's best friend. Saw my friend on the way to his house.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:51   #8509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Driving at a reasonable speed so that you can react to any such obstruction is another method to avoid accidents....a.k.a defensive driving.

Of course, one may not be able to drive all along with the low beam. I flip up the high beam occasionally to do a quick inspection. But driving in full time high beam is a CRIME.

I've seen this unhealthy trend of fixing heavily tinted front windshield, then compensate for it with HIDs or XENONS or other blinding lights. What are they thinking? Beats me.
Couldn't agree more with you mate. Defensive driving is indeed the Mantra. High beams definitely require a prudent use.

Wishing I get to own a X5 someday!

I guess those dark windshields are mostly on vehicles whose owners tend to hide what's happening inside or wanna show they're un"cool".
Old 20th June 2011, 11:03   #8510
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a gruesome accident reported in The Hindu and Times of India Chennai citing three youths in their late twenties - early thirties were killed in an accident where the Esteem that they drove rammed a parked tipper lorry on Nelson Manickam road at around 1 AM on Sunday. Suspected case of drunken driving. The Esteem is damaged beyond recognition and impact was so severe that the vehicle had to cut open using gas cutters to reach the victims.

It is a well established fact that DUI leads to serious accidents, not sure why most humans still do not acknowledge it.

EDIT: Here's the link. Both newspapers carried the picture of the mangled car but its not to be seen in the online version.

Last edited by rr_zen : 20th June 2011 at 11:10.
Old 20th June 2011, 11:22   #8511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Just saw a gruesome accident reported in The Hindu and Times of India Chennai citing three youths in their late twenties - early thirties were killed in an accident where the Esteem that they drove rammed a parked tipper lorry on Nelson Manickam road at around 1 AM on Sunday. Suspected case of drunken driving. The Esteem is damaged beyond recognition and impact was so severe that the vehicle had to cut open using gas cutters to reach the victims.

It is a well established fact that DUI leads to serious accidents, not sure why most humans still do not acknowledge it.

EDIT: Here's the link. Both newspapers carried the picture of the mangled car but its not to be seen in the online version.
I just came across a photo of the mangled esteem car in THE HINDU.
The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Three killed in accident
Old 20th June 2011, 13:00   #8512
BHPian

Saw this accident ridden Yamaha FZ with broken front shocks. Looks to be a Head-On Crash.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-yamaha-fz-crash.jpg
Old 20th June 2011, 13:08   #8513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
I just came across a photo of the mangled esteem car in THE HINDU.
The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Three killed in accident
Please do not think I am not human: I feel very much for the families of these three, who are now grieving --- but they ran into a stationary object, at high speed, by the look of it, on a city street. I do not feel for them. These were not even youngsters, but "adults" in their late twenties/thirties.

That lorry might have saved the lives of other people, if this moron had hit a car, or pedestrians.
Old 20th June 2011, 13:20   #8514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please do not think I am not human: I feel very much for the families of these three, who are now grieving --- but they ran into a stationary object, at high speed, by the look of it, on a city street. I do not feel for them. These were not even youngsters, but "adults" in their late twenties/thirties.

That lorry might have saved the lives of other people, if this moron had hit a car, or pedestrians.

Anyone who accuses you of not being human is not human (human - brain = monkey).

this is what the report says:

"
... Police said the driver was under the influence of alcohol.
Sources with the Anna Nagar traffic investigation identified the deceased as Akilesh Gupta (31) of Baraka Road, Kilpauk, Pratap Martin (30) of Neelakandan Street, Choolaimedu and Natesh (28) of Vasantham Colony, Anna Nagar. All three men were software engineers.

Akilesh and Natesh were working in Chennai while Pratap was employed with a firm in Malaysia and had come to Chennai on a break, police sources added.

“The accident occurred around 1.a.m. on Nelson Manickam Road when the Maruti Esteem car driven by Akilesh Gupta rammed into a tipper lorry parked on the road.

The victims who had gone to attend a friend's wedding in Thirumangalam were heading to Neelakandan Street in Chooliamedu to drop Pratap at his residence.

The driver of the vehicle is suspected to have been in an inebriated state. Police also found alcohol bottles inside the car, Mr. Vijay Kumar added.
"

Far from being kids, these are 30-somethings, who drive in Malaysia (very tough driving rules) driving on a road where lorries are to be expected, past midnight, while drunk.

you are right - the lorry might have saved some other poor fellows' lives.
Old 20th June 2011, 16:47   #8515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Kaushik, what you told is absolutely correct. Even though the road is wide and has median, the surface is very tricky, especially from Bilekahalli till G.D Mara cross. And people on a two-wheeler, please wear a helmet and make sure to use the chin strap. It's worth it.
Probably a helmet would've saved the person in this case. What eye-witnesses told that they were coming at a very high speed and lost control and after hitting the divider the person hit the advertising boards head on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Read in the newspaper that he had come to BLR before three months in search of a job and held a degree from University of Leeds.

May his soul RIP.
That's really sad and I'm really feeling sad for his family. May his soul RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
@Jose, A350XWB - I know this guy. He is my friend's best friend. Saw my friend on the way to his house.
Do you know what happened to the other rider who was admitted to hospital with injuries (no idea how critical was the injuries as he has already been taken to hospital by the time I reached there)?
Old 20th June 2011, 17:03   #8516
Distinguished - BHPian

Problem is - "It can't happen to me". We fail to learn from other's mistakes.

Inspite of stricter norms against drunken driving, the menace continues. Agree to what Thad said, Thank god he banged into a stationary lorry and not into an innocent soul returning home after a hard days work!
Old 20th June 2011, 17:18   #8517
BANNED

To all of us who see a friend/accomplice/anyone drink and drive. Every time they get away from any incident, they are that much close to the end.

All drivers who pay the ultimate price for DUI have managed to get away a lot many times. Problem is this creates a false sense of being good at it. And then that stationary lorry in the fast lane shows up from thin air.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:36   #8518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
To all of us who see a friend/accomplice/anyone drink and drive. Every time they get away from any incident, they are that much close to the end.

All drivers who pay the ultimate price for DUI have managed to get away a lot many times. Problem is this creates a false sense of being good at it. And then that stationary lorry in the fast lane shows up from thin air.

It is the same if you replace the words DUI with a lot of things (speeding for example)

There are even BHPians who pride themselves in being able to pull off such antics
Old 20th June 2011, 18:26   #8519
BHPian

I hope no one was injured in this accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img0047a.jpg  

Old 20th June 2011, 18:52   #8520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA
See what my driver have done to my car. :( The driver was appointed yesterday morning only.
Reminds me of a similar incident with my boss and his driver. Boss had come back to India after long years in the US and is terrified to drive in Chennai and hires a driver. Does all background check, previous employer check etc of the driver and hires the guy to drive his Santro. Every other day, the guy seems to get into some accident or the other. The repeat accidents seemed abnormal and that is when my boss remembered that he had missed one important check before hiring the driver - whether he knows to drive or not.

Turned out the guy was a novice - promptly fired the driver and started driving himself. BTW, he also moved on to a Scorpio-mHawk from the Santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks